Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Seeking Fun/Immersive HF Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LobsterQuadrille | 66 comments Hi, I am looking for some good lighter historical fiction, maybe more adventure-centric rather than very romance-heavy. I am open to reading just about any time period and region as long as the writing gives a good feel for the setting and culture. Kids' books and YA recs are fine too, I mainly just want to try out some HF that is fairly light-hearted but easy to feel involved with. Thanks!

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1804 comments Check out the Molly Murphy historical mystery series by Rhys Bowen. They are set in New York City in 1900. The first is “Murphy’s Law”.

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 683 comments I'll recommend the Sir Robert Carey series by P.F. Chisholm aka Patricia Finney. A mystery series mostly set in Northern England and Southern Scotland during the reign of Elizabeth I. It's a mystery series with lots of adventure and witty dialogue. The interaction between Sir Robert and the secondary characters is wonderful!
Link to the first book A Famine of Horses by P.F. Chisholm

message 4: by Eileen (last edited Jul 31, 2020 05:53AM) (new)

Eileen Iciek | 462 comments The first thought that comes to mind is for you to check out L.J. Trafford's books on the year of the four emperors.
Palatine (The Four Emperors #1) by L.J. Trafford
Galba's Men (The Four Emperors #2) by L.J. Trafford
Otho's Regret (The Four Emperors #3) by L.J. Trafford
Vitellius' Feast (The Four Emperors #4) by L.J. Trafford

The author's great sense of humor, plus her exceptional knowledge of Roman history at the time of Nero and her great story-telling make these books a lot of fun to read.

I never thought I would find Nero funny.

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 50 comments Another lightweight but revealing and enjoyable series is the Victoria Thompson The Gaslight mystery series also takes places in New York City at the turn of the 20th century.

message 6: by Herman (new)

Herman | 28 comments You can’t go wrong reading L.A. Meyers Bloody Jack series super good YA HF female lead character adventure early 1800’s high seas

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 683 comments Maybe try The Wrong Envelope by Liz Treacher. Set in southwestern England in 1920.

message 8: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Darznik (jasmindarznik) | 1 comments Abigail wrote: "Maybe try The Wrong Envelope by Liz Treacher. Set in southwestern England in 1920."

LobsterQuadrille wrote: "Hi, I am looking for some good lighter historical fiction, maybe more adventure-centric rather than very romance-heavy. I am open to reading just about any time period and region as long as the wri..."

I loved Beatriz Williams' Her Last Flight, which has a love story but it's not overwrought. Loved the adventure parts about aviation.

LobsterQuadrille | 66 comments Jan wrote: "Check out the Molly Murphy historical mystery series by Rhys Bowen. They are set in New York City in 1900. The first is “Murphy’s Law”."

Thanks! I always enjoy a good mystery!

message 10: by LobsterQuadrille (new)

LobsterQuadrille | 66 comments Eileen wrote: "The first thought that comes to mind is for you to check out L.J. Trafford's books on the year of the four emperors.
Palatine (The Four Emperors #1) by L.J. Trafford
Galba's Men (The Four Emperors #2) by L.J. Trafford
[bookcover:Otho's..."

Those sound awesome, thanks!

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 50 comments LobsterQuadrille wrote: "Jan wrote: "Check out the Molly Murphy historical mystery series by Rhys Bowen. They are set in New York City in 1900. The first is “Murphy’s Law”."

Thanks! I always enjoy a good mystery!"

I also enjoyed this series especially Molly Murphy