SFF Hot from Printers: New Releases discussion

Nominations > Nominations for September 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 1738 comments Mod
On Aug 1st we start nominating for our two September reads. Now we can discuss categories. Right now I think we should shift to 2020 works and suggest 1 fantasy 1 SF, but I'm open for alternatives

message 2: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments I'm very much for 2020 works. I try to find my way through the new releases at the moment.

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I prefer 2020 - already have my nomination The Stone Wētā which was promoted by many during World Con :)

message 4: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 231 comments Mod
Yep, with awards season basically done except for World Fantasy, it makes sense to transition to 2020 only. But I don't have any nominations for it right now, so I'll follow where others lead.

message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony Brunal | 16 comments Oleksandr wrote: "On Aug 1st we start nominating for our two September reads. Now we can discuss categories. Right now I think we should shift to 2020 works and suggest 1 fantasy 1 SF, but I'm open for alternatives"

I am still new to Goodreads, so I have question...Can we nominate our own works?

message 6: by Oleksandr (new)

Tony wrote: "I am still new to Goodreads, so I have question...Can we nominate our own works?"

Honestly I'd prefer to have more established authors (no offence) but currently we have no rule against that, so nominate

message 7: by Plamen (last edited Jul 30, 2020 07:12AM) (new)

message 8: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 0 comments Lauren Beukes has a new book out? Cool!!

message 9: by Tony (new)

Tony Brunal | 16 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Tony wrote: "I am still new to Goodreads, so I have question...Can we nominate our own works?"

Honestly I'd prefer to have more established authors (no offence) but currently we have no rule again..."

I nominate As time Narrows

NeoLeaf Press gave my book a Bronze Recommendation - 4 out of 5 stars.

"This present tense novel is filled with beautiful and moving imagery which gives you goose bumps at times."

message 10: by Oleksandr (new)

Plamen wrote: "X:."

Adrian Tchaikovsky's book to be published Aug 20th, and if other members like me use libraries, I'd say better set him for October

message 11: by Oleksandr (new)

Tony wrote: "I nominate As time Narrows"

If you make/offer a giveaway for members (in no way obligatory) I guess the support for it will be higher

message 12: by Plamen (new)

Plamen Nenchev (vmro) | 57 comments Kirsten wrote: "Lauren Beukes has a new book out? Cool!!"

Controversial reviews so far, but who doesn't have them

message 13: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) I just chatted with Jeremy Szal yesterday, he'll be a good nominee.

message 14: by Oleksandr (new)

Silvana wrote: "I just chatted with Jeremy Szal yesterday, he'll be a good nominee."

Great, I second his book!

message 15: by Tony (last edited Jul 30, 2020 09:11AM) (new)

Tony Brunal | 16 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Tony wrote: "I nominate As time Narrows"

If you make/offer a giveaway for members (in no way obligatory) I guess the support for it will be higher"

I am willing to offer a giveaway, to all those willing to read it.

Thanks Oleksandr!

message 16: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments Oleksandr wrote: "Plamen wrote: "X:."

Adrian Tchaikovsky's book to be published Aug 20th, and if other members like me use libraries, I'd say better set him for October"

I'll be reading (listen to) this one anyway the second it is released :D.

message 17: by Kaa (new)

Kaa I'm happy to focus on 2020 books, although I don't have any additional nominations to add at this point.

message 18: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 566 comments Are we nominating books here or will that be a separate thread? I’m all for picking 2020 books. I want to nominate Lindsay Ellis’s book that just came out, “Axiom’s End.”

message 19: by Oleksandr (new)

Kristen wrote: "Are we nominating books here or will that be a separate thread? I’m all for picking 2020 books. I want to nominate Lindsay Ellis’s book that just came out, “Axiom’s End.”"

Here. Axiom's End is accepted

message 20: by Gabi (last edited Jul 30, 2020 10:43PM) (new)

Gabi | 424 comments I nominate

for Fantasy: Or What You Will by Jo Walton: the premise of a novel's character interacting with an elder author sounds intriguing (and Jo Walton always is a safe one for good writing)

for SF: Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre by Max Brooks: a take on the Bigfoot legend.

message 21: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments I second Or What You Will, it sounds intriguing, beautifully written and the cover is BEAUTIFUL.

For SF, I nominate The Last Human by Zack Jordan which has a wonderfully intriguing premise.

message 22: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Or what you will is in my TBR but the price makes me want to cry haha

message 23: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments So true, it's very expensive, probably because it just came out a few days ago. Maybe it will have dropped by September, though?

(The Last Human is only 99 Cents right now! At least the amazon.de kindle version is.)

message 24: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) It is 1.29 usd for me, yay! Intriguing premise too.

message 25: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments Silvana wrote: "Or what you will is in my TBR but the price makes me want to cry haha"

Damn ...you're right. I didn't check the price before. And there seems to be no audiobook available. :(

message 26: by Eva (last edited Jul 31, 2020 02:40AM) (new)

Eva | 131 comments Hmm. Perhaps we could postpone this one and read a more affordable fantasy options with audio version and an inexpensive ebook?

Some options I can think of right now:
We Ride the Storm by Devin Madson
Black Stone Heart by Michael R. Fletcher
Wicked As You Wish by Rin Chupeco (this one's YA fantasy)
Along the Razor's Edge by Rob J. Hayes
House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas (not YA, it's her first adult Urban Fantasy novel)
The Obsidian Tower by Melissa Caruso
Ashes of the Sun by Django Wexler

Anyone have a preference? (This is not yet a nomination, I'm just thinking out loud.)

message 27: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Maybe We Ride the Storm though the page number is quite daunting since I already have six BRs in September (forgot to check LOL)

message 28: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments Aren't there any fantasy books that are not part 1 of yet another series?

message 29: by Silvana (last edited Jul 31, 2020 03:51AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Gabi wrote: "Aren't there any fantasy books that are not part 1 of yet another series?"

or better, a stand alone novella. Often cheaper, less commitment, easier to squeeze in between schedules ^^

message 30: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 566 comments For fantasy I nominate A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking

This list may have some inspiration: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water caught my eye from the list.

message 31: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 566 comments I just noticed that The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water is only 176 pages. Does this fit the bill, Silvana? ;)

message 32: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Kristen wrote: "I just noticed that The Order of the Pure Moon Reflected in Water is only 176 pages. Does this fit the bill, Silvana? ;)"

Yes, but I read that one already (it was kinda disappointing). I'll keep looking but I am probably going to stick with my one SF nomination.

message 33: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments The Empress of Salt and Fortune is only 112 pages long, and I'm guessing it might be nominated in the novelette category in 2021.

While it's the first part of a duology, the second part is also only novella length and will come out in December, so no big commitment is involved.

message 34: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) It is already a BOTM this month I think

message 35: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments Silvana wrote: "It is already a BOTM this month I think"

Oops, thank you for reminding me! In that case maybe we could continue/finish a series. I'd love to read Harrow the Ninth... or The Mistress of Illusions by Mike Resnick, who died this year.

message 36: by Oleksandr (new)

Eva wrote: "I'd love to read Harrow the Ninth... or The Mistress of Illusions by Mike Resnick, who died this year."

While currently we have no restriction for nomination mid-series books (do we need one?) I think that it is better to nominate standalone of first in the series. And if there is a popular series you can start a buddy read

message 37: by Kateblue (last edited Jul 31, 2020 10:52AM) (new)

Kateblue | 736 comments Mod
Kirsten wrote: "Lauren Beukes has a new book out? Cool!!"

Yes, it is VERY expensive and our library never even listed it as upcoming, so I was unable to get on the list. YES I want to read it, but I can't get it for months.

So I am nominating House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City) for fantasy and The Stone Wētā, which looked so good I already bought it for $4, for SF.

I may not be able to get that new Adrian Tchaikovsky for quite a while. Not on the pre-publishing hold list.

message 38: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 231 comments Mod
Lots of great ideas shared in this thread, but I'm wondering if we should limit to one nomination per category per person, just so we don't overwhelm ourselves with options? We can always save our second and third choices for coming months. What do you think?

message 39: by Kateblue (new)

I was assuming it was only one per type. I looked at both the books I picked to decide if they were F or SF. Sometimes it is hard to tell

And yes. I think one per type per person or we will have too many to choose from. We all only get one vote in each category, remember.

message 40: by Kristenelle (new)

Kristenelle | 566 comments That makes sense. I think people (myself included) were throwing around ideas for discussion rather than official nomination. My official nominations are:

Sci-fi: Axiom's End
Fantasy: A Wizard’s Guide to Defensive Baking

message 42: by Eva (new)

Eva | 131 comments Yes, we were just discussing, not nominating the books mentioned.

But if we're going to just do nominations without exchange of ideas, that's fine, too. Then I change my second to
House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J. Maas
(since Jo Walton's book is too expensive and not yet on audio) and repeat my original nomination of
The Last Human by Zack Jordan.
:-)

message 43: by Cordelia (new)

message 44: by Kateblue (new)

Oleksandr wrote: "On Aug 1st we start nominating for our two September reads. Now we can discuss categories. Right now I think we should shift to 2020 works and suggest 1 fantasy 1 SF, but I'm open for alternatives"

Because Z said this, but no one said anything about choosing other categories but just tossing out book names, I thought we were nominating. Sorry if I jumped the gun. I see it is Aug 1 here now, so I stand by my nominations above.

message 45: by Kalin (new)

Kalin | 231 comments Mod
I also didn't intend to cut off the conversation -- I'm really enjoying the enthusiasm! -- I just wanted to suggest ahead of time to be prepared to choose only two of all the ones being floated.

message 46: by Kateblue (new)

I'm really enjoying the enthusiasm myself. I just thought I was nominating before, so now I am :-)

message 47: by Gabi (new)

Gabi | 424 comments Kalin wrote: "I also didn't intend to cut off the conversation -- I'm really enjoying the enthusiasm! -- I just wanted to suggest ahead of time to be prepared to choose only two of all the ones being floated."

LOL, no you're right, Kalin. It gets a bit cluttered if nominations and musings are in the same thread.

I stand by my nomination (msg #20), even though I understand that Jo Walton is extremely expensive for those of us who don't rely on libraries to get the books.

message 48: by Cordelia (last edited Jul 31, 2020 10:20PM) (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 83 comments My two are both nominations. - messages 41 and 43

message 49: by Kateblue (new)

Z, until when are the nominations open?

message 50: by Oleksandr (new)

Kateblue wrote: "Z, until when are the nominations open?"

Today and yes, limit is one nomination per category per member, so 1 fantasy, 1 SF

« previous 1