Play Book Tag discussion

July 2020: Southern > Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon - 5 stars with hearts

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Jul 29, 2020 02:13PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments **Also Poll Ballot**
Boy's Life

A favorite! I listened to this one and the narrator was fabulous, he was the character Cory Mackenson. As the book starts, Cory is 11 years old in the late '50s. There is wonderful humor and some tear-jerking sadness. Cory and his mom & dad live in the small town of Zephyr Alabama. There is black neighborhood with an elderly woman named "The Lady" who some think has the sight. There's a monster in the lake. There is racism, the KKK is active, but a lot of good people to give hope to change. Lots of changes happening at the end of the 50s, supermarkets are coming in, women are finding work outside the home and people are starting to recognize racism for the evil it is.

The story starts out with a huge event. Cory is going with his father on the milk delivery truck when, all of sudden, a car crosses in front of them and plunges into the lake. Its immensely deep, having been a quarry at one time. Cory's father jumps in the lake to save the man behind the wheel but instead finds that he's been beaten and his handcuffed to the steering wheel. He's unable to save the man and that haunts him. In the meantime, life continues on in Zephyr. A life full of all kinds of adventures for a young boy.

Many have tagged this horror and fantasy but I don't agree. Robert McCammon is known for his horror but I just didn't get that here. There's a lot about families and friendship. I can't do this book, this audio, justice. I highly recommend it. (less)

message 2: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 283 comments Great review. :-)

message 3: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2237 comments I've heard so many great things about this book so I just added it to the Leaning Tower of TBR.

message 4: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 428 comments I read this book about six months ago and enjoyed it a great deal as well. I agree with you on the tagging of this book. Although the author is known for his horror, this isn't one of them.