The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > World Fantasy Awards 2020

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Geoff (new)

Geoff | 128 comments Mark posted this over in the Quick Burns, but I wanted to discuss! So new topic.

The WFA 2020 award nominees have been announced:

https://locusmag.com/2020/07/2020-wor...

Finalists for best novel:
Queen of the Conquered
The Ten Thousand Doors of January
The Raven Tower
Gideon the Ninth
The Memory Police

I've already read three (Doors, Raven, Gideon), and really enjoyed them all, especially Raven. So how can I resist reading the other 2? Looks like the award is given last October/early November, so plenty of time to get it done.

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I thought Gideon had a good start and finish with a very soggy middle, but January was really good, much better than I expected.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 282 comments January and Memory Police are in my TBR, but I got the distinct impression Memory Police is scifi?

Gideon is the only one I've read out of the nomination list.

message 4: by Paul (last edited Jul 29, 2020 01:16AM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 491 comments I've only read The Ten Thousand Doors of January, which I thought was spectacular, and am just about to start Gideon about which I've heard nothing but praise.

message 5: by Eva (new)

Eva I'm reading Gideon and liking it very much so far, it seems mostly inspired by Warhammer50k novels (the inquisition/empire/undead/vampire kind, not the ones about marines), anime, and Ravenloft, plus contemporary pop culture anachronistically mixed in - resulting in a weird mixture of styles that creates a hilarious effect, while still being moving somehow. None of this should work, but it does! Never seen anything like it.

I didn't like Doors of January at all, soory! I thought it was terrible and regretted my purchase. Pure cover-buy!

I've heard Memory Police is slow and literary, more magical realism than full-on fantasy, but very well-written. On the other hand, The Housekeeper and the Professor - written later but translated sooner - is supposed to be even better (but without magical realism elements).

I'm very much looking forward to reading The Raven Tower! I loved Ancillary Justice (at least until it turned into Ancillary Downton Abbey in book 2) and have high hopes for this one.

It will take me a while to actually read all the nominees, though. We'll probably know the winner long before then.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments Elizabeth wrote: "January and Memory Police are in my TBR, but I got the distinct impression Memory Police is scifi?"
I think these awards are just grouping everything speculative and calling it fantasy. One of the nominees for novella (Ballingrud) is definitely horror so....

I couldn't get into the Raven Tower. Loved Gideon, and plan to read The Memory Police and The Ten Thousand Doors of January... hoping one of these ends up as a S&L pick to help me prioritize them.

I loved The Housekeeper and the Professor and I'm surprised it's the same author writing both those books. It's a very small-life book in the sense that it's just about the relationship between these two people.

message 7: by Seth (new)

Seth | 396 comments Eva wrote: "I'm very much looking forward to reading The Raven Tower! "

I really loved that book. I don't know if I found clear parallels to the Ancillary series except that maybe Justice of Toren and the rock in Raven Tower come to occupy some of the same headspace. It's a bit divisive it looks like, however, with some people just really hating it.