TW Book Club discussion

August book - no spoilers

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments For various reasons I started the August book a little early. I'm glad I did, I'm already struggling about a dozen pages in and feel like I need to start over. Not sure if its the writing style or I was just not in a focused state. I'll be curious to hear if it's just me

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Evans | 145 comments I'm looking forward to this one. Have been rewatching the Anthony Bourdain No Reservations and Parts Unknown series and on one of his visits to Mexico, he mentions this book and how much he liked it. Guess we'll see!

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam | 231 comments Hoping it comes in to our local bookstore by Monday! I'm intrigued.

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments So I was more than 12 pages in but I reread this morning....dont understand what I found confusing before. I must have not been paying attention at all. This morning things were clear

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Wendt (wendtastic) | 432 comments Mod
I'm about 10 pages in. it's not really holding my attention yet, but I will have good reading time this weekend so I hope to get into it.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments I have some Spanish and French experience but this book is difficult. I know enough words to sorta understand but am clearly missing large vocabulary words in those languages that mean I don't quite get it. I do enjoy when the occasional cuss word is thrown in, recognize those lol!

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Evans | 145 comments Jackie wrote: "I have some Spanish and French experience but this book is difficult. I know enough words to sorta understand but am clearly missing large vocabulary words in those languages that mean I don't quit..."

I'm having the same problem but I don't have much in the way of Spanish or French. I'm pretty sure that I'm confusing things and have at least one person that's being referenced by multiple names? Old Bean? Who is that? is that M? And is there another name they're going by? Either I've been half asleep as I've been reading or I am just not getting it...

message 8: by Tracy (new)

I am struggling for the same reasons Chris and Jackie mention. I feel like this book might be to smart for me, but will keep trying a while longer.

message 9: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments Chris wrote: "Jackie wrote: "I have some Spanish and French experience but this book is difficult. I know enough words to sorta understand but am clearly missing large vocabulary words in those languages that me..."

The names were frustrating me at first so I restarted and it was only slightly more clear the second time. I'm not very far into it and honestly have not made time to read much. I've been doing a lot of driving lately and have been listening to a lot of audio books, probably should have tried this one as audio but.... not gonna happen

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam | 231 comments I still haven't started it yet! Will this week. Finishing up Song of Solomon for my Spokane book club. But does look like it requires some focused reading.....

message 11: by Tracy (new)

I gave up :( Sorry guys! would live to still have a Zoom this month if anyone else wants to. maybe hearing you all talk about the book will get me to try it again.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments Tracy wrote: "I gave up :( Sorry guys! would live to still have a Zoom this month if anyone else wants to. maybe hearing you all talk about the book will get me to try it again."

Where? I just turned the page to Chapter 2 and I feel exhausted. I don't think I can do it either

message 13: by Chris (new)

Chris Evans | 145 comments I also have given up. August has been draining for me, I need to find a book that recharges my soul.

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments Chris wrote: "I also have given up. August has been draining for me, I need to find a book that recharges my soul."
If you happen to find one please share!

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam | 231 comments So who IS reading? I will likely start it this week-end--if there is anyone else actually reading it. If not, I will start another book for another online book club instead, and then read Under the Volcano.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Evans | 145 comments Jackie wrote: "Chris wrote: "I also have given up. August has been draining for me, I need to find a book that recharges my soul."
If you happen to find one please share!"

I've come to the conclusion that it's probably time to do a re-read on some of my favorites. Those usually settle my soul a bit.

message 17: by Tracy (new)

I read Finding Dorothy and loved every page. Currently half-thru with This Tender Land and love it, too. also working my way thru the Red Mountain series.

I tried hard with Volcano but couldn't keep track of what was happening or who was who. I gave up, but would try again at some point.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 3 comments Laughing at this thread. I'm 15% into Under the Volcano, and yes, it's so hard ... Can't really get into the characters, but will persevere with the drunken consul Geoffrey and his ex wife Yvonne. Not really sure where the plot is going. Will a volcano erupt? Seems quite dark with mentions of funerals and lots of black brooding clouds. I quite like Jacques though. Don't mind a bit of Spanish, and have my dictionary at the ready. Better at French and German. Will see how it goes.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments Catherine wrote: "Laughing at this thread. I'm 15% into Under the Volcano, and yes, it's so hard ... Can't really get into the characters, but will persevere with the drunken consul Geoffrey and his ex wife Yvonne. ..."

You are braver than I. I gave it two tries and gave up early

message 20: by Tracy (new)

What little I could follow felt like a Hemmingway story...post-war (or during war?), drunk man hanging out with a buddy, then wandering around thinking about a woman. But that was really all I kind of understood. LOL. I'm excited to see how Catherine likes it. Kudos for getting farther into it than the rest of us!

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam | 231 comments I do plan to read this....

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 199 comments Sam wrote: "I do plan to read this...."

I may try it audio style at some point.

message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris Evans | 145 comments I may hang onto this one and try it in the spring or summer when I'm more apt to read darker themed books...

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 3 comments Yes, I made the finishing line! 1 star award as no option to give less. This was a dense read with no accompanying pleasure. Having read 1 or 2 newspaper reviews subsequently, it ASTOUNDS me that Under the Volcano is regarded as “one of the greatest novels of the 20th century”. Who by please? It was bleak, and I sort of grasp that it had undertones of WW2 and the threat of fascism. Lots of recurring themes: the battle of Ebro, the film Las Manos d’Orlac, horses, dogs, the numbers 7 and 12 etc. Interest value for me was the autobiographical element. Lowry was an alcoholic himself, had lived in Mexico and at a time when his marriage was breaking up. The original manuscript was almost lost in a fire (pity about the almost ...) The hallucinogenic, stream of consciousness style was very effective, moving from to despair to hope. Despair winning of course. I liked the idea of the Consul’s weedy and overgrown garden mirroring what his life had become and the ravine his tomb. A comparison is made of the Consul to a Faustian figure unable to seek salvation and sprinting to hell. Despite his self destruction and the demise of Yvonne, the power of love even in times of hopelessness shines through (important with the backdrop of war), but sadly for Geoffrey Firmin his love of alcohol won the day. Not sure I would ever recommend this tome, but I’ll never forget it!

message 25: by Tracy (new)

For a book that sounds incredibly dull, thank you for a very NOT dull review! I think I'm going to give this book a pass.

"The original manuscript was almost lost in a fire (pity about the almost ...)" - This made me laugh out loud. How do you really feel about it? haha.