SCPL Teens discussion

Into the Wild
This topic is about Into the Wild
Book Reviews & Recommendations > Into The Wild by John Krakauer

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sebastian (new)

Sebastian Hudson | 44 comments Into the Wild is a strange book that strays from the traditional narrative format we see in most novels. From the beginning we already know that Chris Mccandles, a real person, leaves his life to live in the woods but ends up starving. The focal point of the book isn't Chris's journey; its what is happening around it. While I praise the book for it's uniqueness and how unexpecting the story was, despite it being written well I found myself a little bored in certain areas. For one I wasn't entirely sold at first when the narrator turned the story of Chris Mccandless into a biography about himself and his attempt to find more information on Chris. The parts of the book that fascinated me the most were Chris's final moments in the wild. Despite being called 'Into The Wild' we don't get to see all too much of Chris being in the wild. All in all, I would say it's a great book. Although it wasn't my favorite, I definitely learned more from this than I have any required reading book in English so far. It's not for everyone, but I think everyone should give this book a try.

message 2: by Julia (new)

Julia Santos | 2 comments Into the Wild gave me so much inspiration and courage. I read this book when schools transferred to distanced learning. Chris gave up everything in order to adventure the world he lived in. He survived off of little to no materialistic needs, the thing that benefitted him in his journey was his personality. After reading the book, I found myself wanting to embark on adventures, climb trees, and just enjoy nature. I really recommend this book to everyone and I hope the book gives you the feeling it gave me. I also related to the book in the sense that Chris was approaching adulthood, the endless cycle of working and providing wealth to his future kids. I am approaching the end of high school and soon I'll be making very important decisions. Although I don't fully agree with Chris's decision, I admire him for pursuing his dreams. I recommend this book to those who are looking for an adventure and inspiration!