New Providence Memorial Library's Online Reading Group discussion

Imagine Your Story 2020 > Share your favorite books of the summer!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Providence (new)

New Providence (npml) | 302 comments Mod
Have you had a chance to download the free ReadSquared app and log the books you've read this month? Once you log 3 books, you'll receive a fun vinyl sticker for your water bottle or laptop, delivered by a NPML teen volunteer!

What has been your favorite book or books of the summer?

Mine has been Mythos by Stephen Fry, a charming retelling of Greek myths - and I'm looking forward to the second book in the series, Heroes, which came out this summer.
Mythos The Greek Myths Retold (Stephen Fry's Great Mythology, #1) by Stephen Fry

My sisters and I are reading our way through The Cazalet Chronicles from the 1990s - a modern classic that was made into a BBC miniseries.
The Cazalet Chronicles Five Novels in One Collection (Cazalet Chronicles, #1-5) by Elizabeth Jane Howard

Countering my lighter reading, my eyes have been opened by Stamped From the Beginning. It traces the history of racist ideas over the past 500 years that rationalized black enslavement, segregation and criminalization.
Stamped from the Beginning The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi

Let us know if you've read anything good lately!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Thornton (karenstaffordthornton) | 65 comments I read a graphic novel called Almost American Girl..very well done.
Almost American Girl

I'm currently reading My Dark Vanessa, which I'm also really enjoying.
My Dark Vanessa

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments Mythos sounds good!
I'm currently reading, and hope to finish today/tonight, "The Pull of the Stars" the new novel by Emma Donahue. I've struggled getting my 'reading mojo' back and this book has done it for me! Surprised I like it so much since it's Dublin, 1918 and the pandemic.

message 4: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne | 67 comments Read two books about bad parents - The Dutch House by Ann Patchett and Hidden Valley Road. Very different books. the Dutch House is like a story out of The Brothers Grimm, and Hidden Valley Road is factual book about a family with 12 children, 6 of whom develop schizophrenia.

message 5: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments my favorite book this summer is also Mythos by stephen fry. rollicking fun retelling of greek myths! can't wait for the next 2 installments in this series

we will never meet in real life by samantha irby is a funny essay collection.

so you want to talk about race made some great points, but I felt like I was being lectured to. prob didn't help that I had the playback speed at 1.5.

a very strange book was The only good Indian. Not my usual kind read but it's on so recommended book read lists. it's a modern day horror story with a Native American backdrop . I took the side of the elk (!) you'll have to look it up to see what I mean ;-)

message 6: by Sangeeta (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments also Medtation for fidgety skeptics. dan harris, the 10% Happier guy. it worked LOL, and got me in a nice little rhythm !

a quick and fun distraction, the guest list, Lucy Foley. cool twisty ending.