Challenge Corner discussion

Finding Home
This topic is about Finding Home
Let's Buddy! - Contemporary > Finding Home by Jackie Weger --> Starting August 1st, 2020

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aly, Head of Solo Quarterly & Maker of BR Threads (new)

Aly (alyp_01) | 22606 comments Mod
Twenty-four year old Phoebe Hawley is on a quest to find her family a home. On the road with two siblings, twelve year-old Maydean and five year-old Willie-Boy, Phoebe is out of money, out of gas and out of patience. Now the only things she owns in abundance are Hawley backbone and Hawley pride--neither of which she can trade for food or gas.

A collision with Gage Morgan puts Phoebe's mission in even worse jeopardy--until Phoebe discovers Gage Morgan owns the perfect place for the Hawley clan. But! Gage Morgan has a bruised ego, a tight fist on his land and an iron fist on his heart and is the unlikeliest man in the universe to succumb to her schemes. Phoebe wields all of the pride, backbone and country smarts she owns to claim his home, plow his land and pilfer his heart. Nothing works. With time running against her family, she plies one last inducement—her scarce feminine wiles…Will it be enough?

Deanie Nelder | 1067 comments 23%

(view spoiler)

Deanie Nelder | 1067 comments 50%

(view spoiler)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2774 comments 35% (view spoiler)

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2774 comments And @Deanie I agree completely with your points from 23%. My first thought was that this was Depression era but then they mentioned computers and email and a Dora the Explorer nightlight and I was very confused. Also surprised to realize their parents were still alive, and I'm hoping this all gets explained soon, all we know is that Erlene lost brain function after a fever (again makes me question the time period) and that they're living with Phoebe's brother. And I never really get new books that aren't free but I agree this is definitely not worth paying for.

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2774 comments 50% (view spoiler)

message 7: by Celia (last edited Aug 04, 2020 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2774 comments It was published in the 80s, but some of that seems odd to me reading it even now.

Like the email thing. If email was only invented in the early seventies, why would it be such a shock to someone like Gage that her parents don't have a computer? And also, Dorie being obsessed with Dora the Explorer - when the TV show didn't come out until 1999? Um... I guess there's a lot of revisions, but what I don't get is why. Wheel of Fortune started in the 70's, so that's perhaps the only pop culture/technology thing in this story that makes sense.

And also the store they go to, Shambeau's - I can't find any mention of that ever existing as a store... um...?

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2774 comments 75% (view spoiler)

Deanie Nelder | 1067 comments 75%

Thankfully, this book is almost done.

(view spoiler)

Deanie Nelder | 1067 comments 100%

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Celia (new) - rated it 1 star

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2774 comments FINISHED (view spoiler)

message 12: by Celia (new) - rated it 1 star

Celia Buell (celiareadsbooks) | 2774 comments What a weird book.