A Crazy Little Thing Called YA discussion

The Fault in Our Stars
This topic is about The Fault in Our Stars
Buddy Reads > The Fault in our Stars - starting July 27

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Brinley | 565 comments Becca and I will be buddy reading this starting tomorrow (the 27th)!

Brinley | 565 comments I'll probably run a day late on this one, sorry!

message 3: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 808 comments Mod
It's okay! I'm planning to finish it all in one day, so that probably means no stopping in between...

message 4: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finished!
(You may have already read my review, but I'm going to type my thoughts out more!)
(view spoiler)

Brinley | 565 comments I'm at like 50% right now, and this is just ok. I'm realizing that I'm not a fan of the flowery way that John Green writes, which is my main problem with this book. I also don't really like Hazel, her thought processes irritate me. Their relationship also came about a bit too fast for my tastes

message 6: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yea, their relationship feels unnatural. You don't just look at someone and be like "Okay, you're mine now."

Brinley | 565 comments Yah, I'm going to try and finish the book today, but it's not the most enjoyable read for me. Going it gets better though!

message 8: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yea, okay!

Brinley | 565 comments I just got to his death, and it's probably not a good sign that I'm happy that he's dead. I hate Hazel, she drives me insane. The way she talks, it's like she thinks she's witty, but she's actually just self obsessed and irritating. There are bigger problems than scrambled eggs being classified as a breakfast food. I mean, come on. And then he goes on and on about the fact that her and Gus were star crossed lovers. Let's just all ignore the fact that they knew each other for only a few months, and took virtually no time to fall in love.

message 10: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new) - rated it 5 stars

YOU'RE HAPPY THAT HE IS DEAD??? Well, yes, but it's just a work of fiction...I understand why you feel that way, though.

Brinley | 565 comments Ummmm... yeah... I just want this to be over. I just found both of them and their metaphors super irritating, so just a few less is refreshing. I never attached to any of the characters, and I can't even feel sympathy for them. I'm pretty sure that Green's writing style just doesn't work for me, because I hated Turtles all the way down too

Brinley | 565 comments I DID IT!!!! I survived that book!! I might just be emotionless, but I was kind of hoping that Hazel would die at the end too. Not even so that they would be together at the end, just so that we didn't have to read any more of her "I loved him" crap. Their relationship didn't feel real to me, and the fact that I hated their characters really didn't help my opinion of this book. Like I said earlier, it's John Green. I apparently hate his writing style, but I can see how some people would like this book

Brinley | 565 comments Oh gosh, you said you didn't understand how anyone could hate this book... I guess I just don't like pity parties, and the writing style. And in response to your sobbing, I didn't shed a tear, whoops

message 14: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new) - rated it 5 stars

YAYY!! Do you not have a soul?? Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of him either. I think Paper Towns might be the best one, but I liked TFIOS more.

Brinley | 565 comments I promise I have a soul, just not for John Greens characters apparently... I hated Paper Towns too, but I think I liked it slightly better than this one

message 16: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maybe it's because I have a soft heart...

Brinley | 565 comments Maybe!