Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Toward the Sea of Freedom (The Sea of Freedom Trilogy #1)
This topic is about Toward the Sea of Freedom
Buddy Reads: Current & Upcoming > Lark, Sarah-- Toward the Sea of Freedom informal buddy read starts July 26, 2020

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31252 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Toward the Sea of Freedom by Sarah Lark.

Synopsis
In mid-nineteenth-century Ireland, charming Kathleen and dashing Michael harbor secrets and dreams. Imagining a life beyond the kitchen and fields of the wealthy family they both work for, they plot to leave their homeland, marry, and raise the child Kathleen is secretly carrying. The luck of the Irish, however, is not on their side.

Soon, they find themselves swept up in circumstances they never could have fathomed. Kathleen is forced to marry against her will and immigrate to New Zealand. Michael is imprisoned for rebellion and exiled to Australia. As time passes and their new lives march on, they long for those stolen moments in the lush green fields of their native land. And they both still dream of escape, with no idea of how close fate will eventually bring them.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Laura | 9707 comments I finished part 1
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Finished Part 1 too, I'm actually enjoying this so far.

(view spoiler)

What do you think of Michael? He was described as having a silver tongue which to me isn't a good thing

Laura | 9707 comments Megan, I didn't really like Michael though I liked his fortitude- he hasnt given up despite being beaten and locked up.
I haven't been in a position that I need to do something illegal to survive (food, accomodations) so don't feel I can judge him for that

What do you think of Ian?

Megan | 1607 comments Mmm, I agree with you about Michael. No I must admit, I felt sorry for them all to be honest.

I think Ian has an ulterior motive, maybe its to get the ability to move away, or maybe its because he secretly likes her?

Laura | 9707 comments I agree with you about Ian, though I couldn't decide if he really wanted to leave or he really liked her or both?

I'm going to try and read the next section today

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1821 comments I just finished Part 1...(view spoiler)

I think Ian has a motive for wanting Kathleen. The first time he offered her a ride, he was going to attack her. So what changed?

Megan | 1607 comments Just got through Part 2.
(view spoiler)
I'm glad to be reading this in parts, I can stop at the end of each part and take a breather although this book is good its not a happy story is it?!

Megan | 1607 comments Karen ♐ wrote: "I just finished Part 1...[spoilers removed]

I think Ian has a motive for wanting Kathleen. The first time he offered her a ride, he was going to attack her. So what changed?"

You just wait!!

Laura | 9707 comments I didn't quite finish part 2. I'm in chapter 9
(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Ian(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments End of part 2
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Laura wrote: "Ian"

Yes, we sort of predicted it. I'm sad hes a tool.

Laura | 9707 comments We did, I was hoping otherwise!

Laura | 9707 comments I finished part 3
Everytime I read about Kathleen I want to know how Lizzie is doing than vice versa. Anyone else feel that way? I suspect Lark deliberately set it up this way.
Who do you like more Kathleen or Lizzie?
Im really hoping for a happy ending for both of these women( and Claire)
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Karen ♐ (last edited Jul 29, 2020 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1821 comments Megan wrote: "Karen ♐ wrote: "I just finished Part 1...[spoilers removed]

I think Ian has a motive for wanting Kathleen. The first time he offered her a ride, he was going to attack her. So what changed?"

You ..."

I'm on Chap 9 of Part 2 - (view spoiler)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1821 comments Laura wrote: "End of part 2
Darn, well that played out how I thought.

Lizzie is certainly resourceful
"

Finished Part 2 also. I thought the same thing. (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments ha, or drowned! They really didn't think their boat stealing plan through!

Laura | 9707 comments Are you both enjoying the book?

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1821 comments I'm just starting Part 3. I'm enjoying this book. I love all the different characters. Assume their stories will intersect.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1821 comments Finished part 3 - I’m really enjoying reading about Kathleen and Claire. Also I really like Lizzie. My favorite still is Kathleen. I’m really hoping for a happy ending for all the women. (view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments I am enjoying it but I don't like Lizzie. Its got nothing to do with her being a sex worker I just don't like her.

I think its too many love stories. Its the who is ending up with whom.

I've also finished part 3. I love the partnership Kathleen has with Claire. Poor Claire!! (view spoiler)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1821 comments Megan wrote: "I am enjoying it but I don't like Lizzie. Its got nothing to do with her being a sex worker I just don't like her.

I think its too many love stories. Its the who is ending up with whom.

I've als..."

I agree with you about too many love stories. I'm on Chap 3 of Gold (Part 4) and (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Karen's last spoiler
(view spoiler)
Part 4
(view spoiler)
I like that this book is broken up into sections - I was content to read a section per day but I think Ill finish this sometime tomorrow as it works for another challenge and I really want to see how it ends.

When we finish do you both want to read book 2 right away or take a few days break?

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1821 comments Laura's spoiler in answer to mine (view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments I hate Lizzie. She really annoys me which is silly I just don't like her. I think its because I feel it should be Kathleen and Michael. No one else.
I've just read the Gold section. I'm going to finish this I think today. Maybe we could start book 2 on Monday? Give us a few days?
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments Ok I'm finished.
I don't like Lizzie. Still don't.
Not happy with the ending. Going to go sulk lol

Laura | 9707 comments I'm finished too
I enjoyed the book once I got into it.
(view spoiler)

Megan | 1607 comments (view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments Megan wrote: "Ok I'm finished.
I don't like Lizzie. Still don't.
Not happy with the ending. Going to go sulk lol"

Lol... I had to chuckle when I read this comment!

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1821 comments I finished also. I agree with all of your statements. I really didn't like how this book ended either. (view spoiler)

Please feel free to go ahead with the next book. I have quite a few books that I need to get to so I don't know when I'd be able to read the next book.

Laura | 9707 comments Ahh, I think I liked this book more than you both.

Megan, since Karen can't read with us for the next book, does Monday still work for you?

Megan | 1607 comments Laura wrote: "Ahh, I think I liked this book more than you both.

Megan, since Karen can't read with us for the next book, does Monday still work for you?"

Sorry thought I'd replied. Yes it does

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Toward the Sea of Freedom (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sarah Lark (other topics)