World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (new)

W Any Star Trek fans here ? Favourite series,least favourite series ?
How about the films and the reboot by J.J.Abrams ?

message 2: by David (new)

David Lucero (httpwwwgoodreadscomdavidlucero) | 10 comments I’m watching the original series on Netflix in order. First time since I was a kid. The Menagerie is my favorite

message 3: by W (new)

W Yes,I also watch the Original series again every now and then,having already seen it. It had a shoestring budget and that detracted from the production quality,but still many great episodes.

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments The original Star Trek was the best, and I have the episodes pretty much memorized, as I do with The Andy Griffith Show. I know the whole episode within a minute of beginning to watch. My favorite Star Trek episode is the one with the Gorn.

message 5: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2266 comments My favorite in the original series is "Is There No Truth in Beauty?" What they do with the musical score is brilliant, and not something i recall them doing again...

Overall though, I don't think the original series holds up. It's interesting to watch the occasional one-off episodes, but it is so cringy when I tried to watch it from beginning to end last year. And it amazes me they thought it was a good idea to change the Klingons from guys with insta-tans to full-on blackface at the same time they hopped on a soap box about racism.

message 6: by W (last edited Jul 28, 2020 12:48AM) (new)

W Yes,some of the episodes were cringy and several of the scripts were written in a hurry.But still,the good outweighed the bad.
These days,I'm watching Deep Space 9 after several years.It's watchable,though the number of memorable episodes is rather low.Also,none of the characters really stands out.

message 7: by W (new)

W Enterprise was rather disappointing.Especially season 3 was pretty much unwatchable,with the story of the xindi.Prior to that,the show had good visuals and special effects,but hardly anything new or original by way of stories.

message 8: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3342 comments Big Star Trek Fan. Warm spot for the original series, but I think Deep Space Nine was probably the best done of all of them.

message 9: by W (new)

W My favourite series among them all is The Next Generation.Patrick Stewart (captain Picard) is my favourite actor in all of Star Trek.Also liked Data,Riker,Troy and Dr.Crusher.
Didn't like Wesley Crusher,not too keen on Worf or La Forge.

message 10: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2266 comments W wrote: "Yes,some of the episodes were cringy and several of the scripts were written in a hurry.But still,the good outweighed the bad.
These days,I'm watching Deep Space 9 after several years.It's watchabl..."

I'm the opposite. DS9 was my favorite series of the franchise, and I thought Enterprise season 3 was their best season. :D

Voyager had its moments, but DS9 represented an evolution in the franchise, so it was difficult to see a series that took a step backwards. Also, it hurt suspension of disbelief when the ship was in pristine shape at the beginning of each episode no matter how much damage it took in the previous one. It would have been a better series if there was more visual continuity. BTW, the doctor in that series must be one of my favorite characters in the franchise.

message 11: by W (new)

W Voyager was good fun,though seven seasons were a bit much.The ship came under attack too many times and that felt a bit like a video game.Would have liked to see villains as powerful as TNG's Borg or Q,in Voyager.But that wasn't the case.
Loved the Emergency Medical Hologram and Seven of Nine.Liked Captain Janeway.Was a bit shocked to see her playing the rough character "Red" in Orange is the New Black,years later.

message 12: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3342 comments W wrote: "Voyager was good fun,though seven seasons were a bit much.The ship came under attack too many times and that felt a bit like a video game.Would have liked to see villains as powerful as TNG's Borg ..."

The Q was in Voyager.

message 13: by W (new)

W Originally Q was in TNG.I was referring to original Voyager villains.

message 14: by W (new)

W And that reboot by J.J.Abrams,about a decade ago,when he made Star Trek films using new actors.Hated that,didn't feel like Star Trek at all.

message 15: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3342 comments W wrote: "Originally Q was in TNG.I was referring to original Voyager villains."

No Q was in the original Voyager.

message 16: by J. (new)

J. Gowin | 3894 comments W wrote: "Originally Q was in TNG.I was referring to original Voyager villains."

Q was on Voyager several times and it was bad.

https://youtu.be/p8QQjJoRGVI

message 17: by W (new)

W Yes,Q was on Voyager but he first appeared on TNG and there were some pretty good episodes featuring him on TNG.TNG aired before Voyager.
As I have already written,Voyager didn't have memorable villains of its own.

message 18: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Well, I'll just say that the Borg creeped me out, even in the most recent series with Patrick Stewart on CBS's pay format. The hive mind is too much for me.

message 19: by W (new)

W The Borg remain unforgettable.

message 20: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1767 comments Scout wrote: "The original Star Trek was the best, and I have the episodes pretty much memorized, as I do with The Andy Griffith Show. I know the whole episode within a minute of beginning to watch. My favorite ..."

Not my favorite episode, but it is the 1st one I ever saw as a small child (Arena is the Gorn episode). When I was 12 and had a friend who liked Star Trek, I finally got to watch them all in reruns at her house. My top 5 episodes ---

Journey to Babel
The Trouble with Tribbles
The City on the Edge of Forever
A Piece of the Action
Mirror Mirror

message 21: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1767 comments My favorite is the original Star Trek. Those are my favorite movies too, and the only ones I watch frequently. (I own all the movies and all but STNG on DVD.)

My 2nd favorite is Voyager. I liked the crew much more than that of STNG. I liked the ship better too. I liked Janeway's approach of a bit cowboy and a bit diplomat. For me Voyager was closer to the original than STNG.

I hate the reboot. The Spock Uhuru thing annoys me. All special effect and no substance.

message 22: by W (last edited Aug 12, 2020 07:09PM) (new)

W I think Star Trek didn't transfer too well to the big screen.Among the original series movies,I liked The Voyage Home.The movies remained a cash cow for the studio,regardless of the quality.
Among TNG movies,Generations was memorable because of the presence of both Kirk and Picard,and Kirk's eventual fate.Disliked Nemesis,as it killed Data.There was no need for that.

message 23: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1767 comments W wrote: "I think Star Trek didn't transfer too well to the big screen.Among the original series movies,I liked The Voyage Home,only.The movies remained a cash cow for the studio.
Among TNG movies,Generation..."

TNG movies, I like First Contact. TOS - agree that Voyage Home was the best, but I think The Wrath of Khan was almost as good. I remember actually having tears in my eyes when the Enterprise was destroyed in The Search for Spock. Those 3 are the ones I watch most often.

message 24: by W (new)

W Yes,The Search for Spock was good too and so was First Contact.I didn't like The Wrath of Khan or the TV episodes in which Klingons appear.Also was particularly disappiinted in the first film,Star Trek The Motion Picture.Star Trek was returning after a long time,and the best they could do was this.

message 25: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments I liked The Wrath of Khan even back when it first came out because it was about what might happen if a super race actually became a real thing, and the insolence and inhumanity that a super race most likely would possess.

Anyone know the name of the episode in the original series in which two civilizations conduct war by computer instead of with real armies fighting? Interesting.

message 26: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1767 comments Scout wrote: "Anyone know the name of the episode in the original series in which two civilizations conduct war by computer instead of with real armies fighting? .."

A Taste of Armageddon is the episode.

message 27: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1767 comments I agree the first movie was a poor story. I think someone was trying to be at some intellectual level with thoughts of 2001 Space Odyssey. Interestingly, it was the highest grossing Star Trek movie (followed by The Voyage Home).

I liked the Klingons in the original series, before they decided to make them different and come up with some virus as the cause for the difference.

Space Seed was a good episode in the original and them choosing to use it and use Ricardo Montabaln, who became well-known 10 years after original Trek, as the 2nd movie was a very good choice.

Before they made the 2nd Star Trek movie, my ex commented when we were watching Taxi how he could picture Christopher Lloyd as a Klingon. It was quite the shock when it actually happened and he was Commander Kruge in the Search for Spock. I liked him in that role.

message 28: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Thanks for the info, Lizzie.

message 29: by Papaphilly (new)

Papaphilly | 3342 comments The original Star Trek movie was originally an episode from the cancelled next season. It was not a great film. The Wrath of Khan was the best of the rest as far as I am concerned. It picks up and brings back one of the best original villains.