Play Book Tag discussion

The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials, #3)
This topic is about The Amber Spyglass
July 2020: Other Books > The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman ★★★★★

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1389 comments I’m not going to leave a synopsis because this is the last book in a trilogy and I don’t want to spoil the first books.

The Amber Spyglass is my favorite of the series. It was very bittersweet, but I loved it. The religious issues with the Authority and Metatron and who they actually are in the story (and what Dust is) made me examine my own beliefs and compare them to Pullman’s world. I enjoyed the thought-provoking nature of the story and I felt in no way Pullman was belittling my beliefs. I simply felt the story was different, like many stories are, and created an enjoyable story to read. I adore Lyra and Will and their daemon’s and I wish I could stay with them a little longer.

message 2: by rose - 忻怡 - (last edited Jul 26, 2020 12:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) [mild spoiler]
I was kinda shocked at that part where Ms Coulter and Lord Asriel sacrificed themselves.

message 3: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Jul 26, 2020 10:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1389 comments I was as well. It seemed kind of out of character. But at the same time, Mrs. Coulter was changing long before, which we were privy to. Lord Asriel, though, I’m not so sure it was Lyra he was protecting as much as what she was meant to accomplish, and as long as Metatron perished, he’d be happy if that makes any sense.

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) I totally agree. Anyways, the series is definitely unforgettable.