Mount TBR 2020 discussion

El Toro (75 Books) > Karen completes Mt. Kilimanjaro and heads to El Toro!

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen | 123 comments This is my first ever attempt at this mountain. Normally, I get a few books past 60 but too late in the year to even attempt another climb and expect to achieve the summit.

For my previous books read see "Karen's Fourth Year Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro" https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Karen (last edited Jul 25, 2020 11:07AM) (new)

Karen | 123 comments 61. Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After The First World War by Virginia Nicholson. Singled Out How Two Million Women Survived Without Men After The First World War by Virginia Nicholson

3 stars. This came up as part of my January mini-challenges and I felt a bit rough, started it and never completed it. I felt like reading it now so have finally completed it. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. It can be a bit repetitive but I enjoyed reading about many of the women's lives. Even the women who were not famous writers or pioneering politicians or archaeologists, but slaved away in menial office jobs now easily done on computer, were so important and modern women owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

On TBR since 10/05/2018.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Congrats on scaling Kilimanjaro! And good luck with your climb of El Toro :)

message 4: by Karen (last edited Jul 26, 2020 04:05PM) (new)

Karen | 123 comments 62. A Florentine Death by Michele Giuttari. A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara, #1) by Michele Giuttari

4 stars. I have had an Italian thriller weekend, reading this and the third in Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano series. This one was not as good, but I still found it hard to put down and definitely want to continue with the series. The lead detective needs to become more rounded in future books and I was slightly uneasy about the portrayal of women here. I hope it was due to the subject matter and is not an issue in future books.

On TBR since 25/09/2019.

Thank you for your comments Leslie. Much appreciated!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 123 comments 63. Evermore by Alyson Noel. Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel

2 stars. I never expected this to be great but this, like Lauren Kate's Fallen series, seems to be another case of "great cover, shame about the content". Quick to read but nothing is really explained. Give me Twilight any day.

On TBR since 25/09/2019.

message 6: by Natália (last edited Jul 29, 2020 08:16PM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 69 comments Karen wrote: "63. Evermore by Alyson Noel. Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel

2 stars. I never expected this to be great but this, like Lauren Kate's Fallen series, seems to be another case of "great c..."

Yes, I couldn't get past book two of this serious and couldn't even finish Fallen.

message 7: by Karen (last edited Jul 30, 2020 11:44AM) (new)

Karen | 123 comments 64. Women in Medieval English Society by Mavis E Mate. Women in Medieval English Society by Mavis E. Mate

4 stars. I haven't re-read this since university. It is a very small book but covers a range of social classes and topics and highlights some of the debates in the field.

On TBR since approx. 2001-2003. Not re-read since then.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 123 comments 65. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

4 stars. I really enjoyed this book and I think Ng's writing style has improved since her debut book but there were a few too many coincidences in the plot and it was a little heavy-handed. I think I prefer the plot of her debut novel.

On TBR since 16/08/2019.

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 123 comments JULY

Total number of Books read: 21
Total number qualifying for this challenge: 16
Total number of physical books bought: 27
Total number of Kindle books bought: 11

JULY CHALLENGE

I read all 3 books. I picked Margaret the First as my July 2018 challenge read. I also read two of the previous books in this challenge that were "in arrears". I read Singled Out from January 2020 and Patronage from July 2019.

AUGUST CHALLENGE

1. From the to-go list: Raymond Seitz – Over Here
2. From the pile: Dimitra Papagianni - The Neanderthals Rediscovered: How Modern Science is Rewriting Their Story
3. One of the following as the mood takes me:

August 2018 TBR

Jennie Mcleod - Gather the Daughters
Lesley Allen - The Life of Biddy Weir
Jacques Rossiaud - Medieval Prostitution
Lucrezia Marinella - The Nobility and Excellence of Women
Gabrielle Dubois - Where are you Roaming?
Adriana Trigliana - Lucia, Lucia
Bette Headapohl - Lessons in Love
The Rule of St Benedict
Susan Howatch - The Shrouded Walls
Susan Howatch - The Dark Shore
Reay Tannahill - Sex in History
Alan Lloyd - King John
Richard Barber -Bestiary
Marina Fiorato - The Boticelli Secret

Outstanding:
Matthew Paris and translated by C.H. Lawrence - The Life of St Edmund from August 2019
Laurie Devine - Saudi from December 2019.
Victor Hugo - Les Misérables from March 2020

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 123 comments 66. The Last Comanche Chief: The Life and Times of Quanah Parker by Bill Neeley. The Last Comanche Chief The Life and Times of Quanah Parker by Bill Neeley

4 stars. A look at one of the most influential Native American leaders at the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries, a time of trauma for the Southern Plains tribes. Not quite as detailed as I would like but I recommend it to anyone interested in the histories of the Comanche/Oklahoma and Texas.

On TBR since 18/11/2005 although I have read it since then. Not recently though.

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 123 comments 67. Last Letter Home by Rachel Hore. Last Letter Home by Rachel Hore

3 stars. I really like dual timeline stories but don't really read books set in WW1 orWW2. This is partly set in WW2. Honestly, this was a quick read, fairly entertaining but totally unemotional and shallow. If you want a dual timeline novel read The Alice Network. This was mere dandelion fluff in comparison.

On TBR since 23/11/2019.

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 123 comments 68. The Neanderthals Rediscovered: How Modern Science is Rewriting Their Story by Dimitra Papagianni and Michael A Morse. The Neanderthals Rediscovered How Modern Science is Rewriting Their Story by Dimitra Papagianni

3 stars. I really enjoyed this. I wish it had been twice as long. But it is only meant as an introduction. I wonder what else has been discovered since this book came out!

On TBR since approx. 21/11/2016.

69. Evil And The Justice Of God by N.T. Wright. Evil And The Justice Of God by N.T. Wright

4 stars. I really enjoyed this book. Possibly because I have read very little on this particular topic.

On TBR since 26/01/2019.

message 13: by Karen (last edited Aug 31, 2020 11:55AM) (new)

Karen | 123 comments 70. The Blind Owl by Sadeq Hedayat. The Blind Owl by Sadegh Hedayat

2 or 3 stars depending on my mood. A weird, weird, weird book.

On TBR since 18/11/2016.

message 14: by Karen (last edited Aug 31, 2020 11:55AM) (new)

Karen | 123 comments 71. Jeremy Poldark by Winston Graham. Jeremy Poldark (Poldark, #3) by Winston Graham

4 stars. I have finally picked up this book! My dad gave it to me several years ago and I read the first two books a while ago. Really interesting and atmospheric.

On TBR since 2017?

message 15: by Karen (last edited Aug 31, 2020 12:46PM) (new)

Karen | 123 comments 72. Dreams of Lilacs by Lynn Kurland. Dreams of Lilacs (de Piaget, #13; de Piaget/MacLeod, #20) by Lynn Kurland

4 stars. I cannot believe I have not read this until now. Lynn Kurland's De Piaget's series is my ultimate comfort read. No time travel in this one and fortunately no Macleods. Lots of sword jokes. Miles appears. Kurland's books are not the most historically accurate but I love them.

On TBR since I pre-ordered it on 29/11/2013.

message 16: by Karen (last edited Aug 31, 2020 11:55AM) (new)

Karen | 123 comments 73. Over Here by Raymond Seitz. Over Here by Raymond Seitz

3 stars. A memoir from a former US ambassador to the UK which is part memoir and part reflection on the differences between the USA and the UK. A little dated but a decent read. Must stop reading political books as some of his analysis prefigures the dire British political situation that we are currently experiencing.

On TBR since 10/05/2018.

message 17: by Karen (last edited Aug 31, 2020 11:57AM) (new)

Karen | 123 comments 74. Where are you roaming? by Gabrielle Dubois. Where are you roaming? (Louise Saint-Quentin, #2) by Gabrielle Dubois

4 stars. I enjoyed the first book Mistress Mine and picked up this book because I wanted to finish the duology. I am terrible at finishing series.

This was even better than Mistress Mine, I fell right into the story and I liked the dialogues in particular. I also liked the depth of Louise, our main character.

On TBR since I pre-ordered it on 05/08/2018.

75. The Huntress: The gripping international bestseller, perfect for fans of The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Kate Quinn. The Huntress The gripping international bestseller, perfect for fans of The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Kate Quinn

4 stars. Kate Quinn is such a great author that I will overcome my dislike of twentieth century-set historical novels for her. I knew barely anything about the Night Witches (female Soviet combat pilots) and feel that Nina's storyline was the most successful of the three in this book. But I think that I preferred The Alice Network to this book and it does not come close to her Borgia duology or her Roman series.

On Kindle TBR since 24/10/2019.

I have reached the Peak of El Toro and am moving on upwards. This was where I wanted to be at the end of 2020 even if I started at Mt Kilimanjaro. I never expected to go higher!!!