2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > Harrow the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #2)

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 3160 comments This thread is to discuss Harrow the Ninth, the second book in the The Locked Tomb Series by Tamsyn Muir.

Pages: 512 pages

Length: 1 Month (August)

Participants: Ruthie, Marc

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Hi Ruthie!

I am first in line for this from my public library, but I don't know how quickly they will process it for circulation once they receive it, especially given that they are still in partial shut-down. No physical entry but you can pick up holds at the entrance. Anyway, there is a possibility that I may have to wait until September before having this on-hand.

What did you think about Gideon the Ninth? I liked a lot of stuff and disliked a lot of stuff. My review is here if you're curious: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) My copy is on it's way and if possible, I would like to join your round :)

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Joanna wrote: "My copy is on it's way and if possible, I would like to join your round :)"

Sure thing. How did you like the first book?

message 5: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I cannot wait for this book!!!! I Loved Gideon the ninth and the audiobook narrator is fantastic, she has a british accent. Thought you'd like to know bc of what your review says.
I enjoyed reading your review but I liked it more than you.

Here's my review:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Excited to have you join Joanna! I'll have to do the audiobook again since the narrator is so great!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Ruthie wrote: "I cannot wait for this book!!!! I Loved Gideon the ninth and the audiobook narrator is fantastic, she has a british accent. Thought you'd like to know bc of what your review says.
I enjoyed reading..."

Not a NZ narrator, oh well, but British sounds good too.

message 8: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) Marc wrote: "Joanna wrote: "My copy is on it's way and if possible, I would like to join your round :)"

Sure thing. How did you like the first book?"

I loved the first one! Can't wait for the second one. My copy arrived yesterday - what a beauty! But when I get the chance I might listen to it via audio book :)

message 9: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) This book is so awesome!

Sorry, just needed to note that :D

message 11: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Yay! I don't have my copy yet! I might have to wait until my audible credit comes through on the 22nd but I'll try to get it before that if I can.

Can't wait!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Joanna, what in particular do you like about it right now? Is it the characters, the dialogue, the plot? All of it?

I too don't have this is hand yet, but it's coming.

message 13: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) Ruthie wrote: "Yay! I don't have my copy yet! I might have to wait until my audible credit comes through on the 22nd but I'll try to get it before that if I can.

Can't wait!"

I was also hoping for the audio book, but I just couldn't wait, so I started to read my hardcover copy :D Maybe I'll switch to the audio version, once it's up for me to get.

message 14: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) Marc wrote: "Joanna, what in particular do you like about it right now? Is it the characters, the dialogue, the plot? All of it?

I too don't have this is hand yet, but it's coming."

I especially like the atmosphere, the setting. It's unique. The way the whole story is told and set up. I never know what to expect or what will come next. It's the feeling this book gives me, it's creepy, it's cool, it's unpredictable. It welcomes me when I start reading, at the same time I feel like it wants to hit me.

There are not a lot of books that make me feel that way. That's why this series is dear and special to me.

And I also like the dark humour in it ;)

message 15: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments That's awesome!

You perfectly describe how the first book felt for me so I'm glad the second feels the same way! Amazing!

message 16: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) Ruthie wrote: "That's awesome!

You perfectly describe how the first book felt for me so I'm glad the second feels the same way! Amazing!"

That's great to hear! And I really hope that you'll think the same way about Harrow, too!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Well I started, and it's still August. I am only on chapter 2 now. Intriguing. A lot of vomiting...

I am not yet a fan of the sometimes 2nd person voice. I feel like it adds an unnecessary layer of density to the text. It probably just takes a little getting used to.

message 18: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Finally got my copy hope to start in the next few days

message 19: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) Marc wrote: "Well I started, and it's still August. I am only on chapter 2 now. Intriguing. A lot of vomiting...

I am not yet a fan of the sometimes 2nd person voice. I feel like it adds an unnecessary layer ..."

Without saying to much: there's something special about the 2nd person voice. But you'll find out in time :)

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Joanna wrote: "Marc wrote: "Well I started, and it's still August. I am only on chapter 2 now. Intriguing. A lot of vomiting...

I am not yet a fan of the sometimes 2nd person voice. I feel like it adds an unnec..."

I imagine that it's (view spoiler) narrating, post-Lyctor absorption.

message 21: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) You might be right about that spoiler marking ;)

message 22: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Started today!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Ruthie wrote: "Started today!"

Great! Bring your dictionary! Lots of fun words. I am at a count of 5 for "nacreous" so far.

It seems like the first 100 pages (20%) were just setting the scene. The story is moving along for me now.

I love all the metaphors that produce reactions that are basically, "Sure, Dad".

message 24: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I can tell it's definitely slower at the beginning than the first one and more background info (the ice coffin) But I don't mind the slower pace

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments I'm guessing that your basic sheet of paper is generally called a "flimsy" in New Zealand. I know that the thinnest sheets of paper are called "flimsy" everywhere English-speaking, but every piece of paper is called a flimsy in this book so far. Reams of flimsy, sheets of flimsy all over the table, etc. It strikes me as more the author's regional vocabulary than a style choice for the book.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Marc wrote: "I'm guessing that your basic sheet of paper is generally called a "flimsy" in New Zealand. I know that the thinnest sheets of paper are called "flimsy" everywhere English-speaking, but every piece ..."

(yes, I'm replying to my own post). I posted in a New Zealanders GR group with this question. Hopefully will get a reply... the author lives in England now so maybe this is a British idiosyncracy, if not Kiwi.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Marc wrote: "Marc wrote: "I'm guessing that your basic sheet of paper is generally called a "flimsy" in New Zealand. I know that the thinnest sheets of paper are called "flimsy" everywhere English-speaking, but..."

No, Kiwis were not familiar with "flimsy" so this is more of a style choice by the author. I do like the occasional anachronistic elements, old things like paper and certain types of decor and cooking soup from scratch alongside space-faring technology.

I am on Act IV and enjoying it a lot, more than I did Gideon the Ninth. I still find it grating that every mention of their damn robes has to specify them as either "nacreous" or "mother-of-pearl". I get it, I know what colour the robes are by now, move on please!

message 28: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments The style choice of using the word Flimsy makes it feel more like a different world which is cool. I'm on Chapter 27!

message 29: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) I love the word Flimsy :D It might be a good name for a pet as well *g*

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments I will finish this today/tonight, barring passing out cold before I can finish. On the final act now.

message 31: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Joanna! I love that idea of it being a pet name lol cute!

Marc I think I'll finish it too! On Chapter 48

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Ruthie wrote: "Joanna! I love that idea of it being a pet name lol cute!

Marc I think I'll finish it too! On Chapter 48"

This is an August buddy read after all, can't let it go into overtime!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Well, I almost finished it last night. Passed out while sitting up reading with 20 pages left to go; woke at some point with my neck hyperextended (I'm sure Harrowhark would have better specifics to describe it) and could not rouse myself enough to try to read the rest, only stumble off to bed. But, finished it this morning, and can I just say:

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST. That sure cleared away any reservations I had about the first book. BOOM!

I now believe the hype. Tamsyn Muir is hallmark voice for a new generation (newer than mine, anyway).

I thought it awfully brave of her to be open about her mental health history (without specifics) in the acknowledgements.

message 34: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I didn't finish either but will definitely finish this morning!

message 35: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (jari-chan) @Marc: Nice review and exactly how I'd put it, too! JFC!

message 36: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I finished it! Can't wait to see what happens in the next book!

I listened to the audiobook so I wasn't able to read the acknowledgments!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Ruthie wrote: "I finished it! Can't wait to see what happens in the next book!

I listened to the audiobook so I wasn't able to read the acknowledgments!"

They cut acknowledgements out of audiobooks??? That seems unjust to authors to me. Of course as a reader you are free to skip them but the author sending their gratitude out to the universe is just good juju. These were particularly good acknowledgements too, if such a thing exists.

It bears noting that I also read the copyright page.... sometimes there's something interesting there.

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments One end-of-book comment: I was very impressed with the clarity of (view spoiler) voice in those chapters. It was so distinctive from the rest of the book/POV and included tons of hilarious comments.

Thanks to Ruthie for first proposing this buddy read. I would otherwise still have tried to be first in line at my library for it, but I probably would have bumped it down in my massive library to-read pile and gotten to it later. Probably not too much later because I am trying not to abuse the COVID-era elimination of late fees, and mostly trying to return books that someone else has requested. I returned Harrow right away so someone else can enjoy it as much as I did. The book I'm reading now though is a couple of weeks late with several people waiting... sorry folks, I'm going to finish it first.

My spoiler-free review of Harrow is here if you're interested:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 39: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Well I don't know if they cut the acknowledgments out or if I have to specifically select it to play. I'll have to look into that on audible.

Yes I was impressed with the clarity of voice of her too and I actually would have liked more of her in the book but that's ok.

Glad we got to read it! When Joanna and I read the first one earlier this year we were excited to read this one in the month it came out and not a moment later!!

I'll read your review!

message 40: by Ruthie (new)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Great review!

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* (marcthedarc) | 641 comments Ruthie wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you kindly.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.