2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
This topic is about Ninth House
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > Ninth House (Alex Stern #1)

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (last edited Jul 25, 2020 07:12AM) (new) - added it

SarahKat | 3177 comments This thread is to discuss Ninth House, the first book in the Alex Stern Series by Leigh Bardugo.

Pages: 459 pages

Length: 1 Month (August)

Participants: Trisha, Ruthie, Dikshita, Maria, Lauren, Alison

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Hey everyone, when is everyone planning to start?

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments My library app says I should get it on or a bit after August 3rd depending on when the person who has it now returns it! I'll post another message when I get it and will plan to start on the day I get it because I'm excited!

message 4: by Dikshita (last edited Jul 27, 2020 10:04PM) (new) - added it

Dikshita (Nightime BookNerd) | 194 comments You know this is going to be my first Leigh Bardugo book. I haven’t read Six of crows or the Grishaverse yet. 🙈
I am living under a rock I guess!

message 5: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments We were living under the same rock, Dikshita! This is my first reading of Leigh Bardugo as well.

message 6: by Dikshita (new) - added it

Dikshita (Nightime BookNerd) | 194 comments Trisha wrote: "We were living under the same rock, Dikshita! This is my first reading of Leigh Bardugo as well."

I must say that I am relieved after reading this. Thank god, I am not the only one.☺️

Alison | 992 comments I discovered Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom last summer and loved them...I highly recommend the duology! I think they were starting to film a TV series based on them before the pandemic...I don’t know if it is still in production.
As for Ninth House, I received the book for a birthday present this spring so I think I will start reading this next week...I don’t know what to expect but am looking forward to it!! I am happy to have you to compare notes with! 😊

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Don't worry! I only discovered her this year! Read the three book Grishaverse series starting in January and read Six of Crows in March. But haven't read Crooked Kingdom or King of Scars yet

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments started it today! It's already sucked me in at only Chapter 2

Alison | 992 comments I am getting ready to start this in the next day or so!

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments YAY!

message 12: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments I've signed up for far too many buddy reads and all the groups are reading at the same time. :( I have this handy but I'll hang on to finish at least one other book before I pick this one up .

message 13: by Ruthie (last edited Aug 05, 2020 09:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments No worries Trisha!

Oh man I just past an intense part I'm on Chapter 7. After that part I had to take a break and go to a different book. But it's really good I like the book so far

Trigger warning about my spoilers-Sexual Assault

(view spoiler)

Woman Reading  | 273 comments Ruthie wrote: "Oh man I just past an intense part I'm on Chapter 7. After that part I had to take a break and go to a different book. But it's really good I like the book so far

[spoilers ..."

I had read this in December and really liked it. I had read some reviews beforehand, so I had skipped about 25 pages in 2 sections because the details were probably too gruesome for me. This was one of those sections I had skipped, so I didn't know until I read your spoiler. That's okay, better than reading all the details myself.

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Woman Reading wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "Oh man I just past an intense part I'm on Chapter 7. After that part I had to take a break and go to a different book. But it's really good I like the book so far

[spoilers ..."

I ..."

I should have put a trigger warning on my spoilers. So sorry! I'll do that now

Woman Reading  | 273 comments Ruthie wrote: I should have put a trigger warning.."

It is an ugly snippet, but knowing didn't alter my reception to the book. Besides, there's one more graphic vignette, though I don't recall which chapter it is in.

I liked Alex and I'm looking forward to the sequel (2021 perhaps?).

Here's my review if anyone is curious (I've tagged the spoilers) -
www.Goodreads.com/review/show/3078874535

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I finished it and it was phenomenal! I couldn't stop listening! I was so glad that they used Lauren Fortgang again for the narrator because she's narrated Leigh's other books and does an awesome job!

Alex is BA and the magic system is so unique. It's unique because it was a darker view of magic and magic societies. Even when Alex has to fight against the bad she has to do bad things to do it. The twists were surprising also!

I listened to the author interview afterward and it was super interesting to find out Leigh went to Yale and most of the buildings and names of the secret societies are real which adds an extra richness to the story and makes me like it even more. Can't wait for the next one!

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Woman Reading wrote: "Ruthie wrote: I should have put a trigger warning.."

It is an ugly snippet, but knowing didn't alter my reception to the book. Besides, there's one more graphic vignette, though I don't recall whi..."

I read your review! It is really good, thanks for sharing

I'm looking forward to the next one as well!

Woman Reading  | 273 comments Ruthie wrote: "read your review! It is really good, thanks for sharing

I'm looking forward to the next one as well!"

Thanks, Ruthie!

Too bad, we'll have a long wait for the sequel.

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Woman Reading wrote: "Ruthie wrote: "read your review! It is really good, thanks for sharing

I'm looking forward to the next one as well!"

Thanks, Ruthie!

Too bad, we'll have a long wait for the sequel."

I know right! It's always hard to wait.

Maria Munoz | 77 comments I haven’t read Six of Crows yet either! I have it in my bookshelf though. Looking forward to Ninth House though. Will start this today!

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments I can't wait to hear what you think of it Maria!

message 23: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Aug 10, 2020 12:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Started this today and I’m tearing through the book. Just finished chapter 7. The setting is fantastic, Bardugo’s imagination is jealous-worthy and the way she combines fantasy with the real-world with such finesse is remarkable! Is it too early to comment that I’m already a fan? 🤓

In response to Ruthie’s spoiler (msg#13):(view spoiler)

Alison | 992 comments I will finish this book today so I haven’t read all your spoilers yet! I had to chime in, however, and agree with you that this book has sucked me in...I have loved all the magic and supernatural elements along with the mystery! Leigh Bardugo really knows how to write! I can’t wait for the sequel... although it looks like we will have to wait a while (I will scoop it up when it comes out)!! 📚❤️

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Trisha wrote: "Started this today and I’m tearing through the book. Just finished chapter 7. The setting is fantastic, Bardugo’s imagination is jealous-worthy and the way she combines fantasy with the real-world ..."

Awesome I'm so glad you like it and are going through it quickly! I'm impressed too I agree. I almost like this style of her writing fantasy in the regular world more than the whole made up Grishaverse. Maybe that's just because I read this one so recently lol

Response to your response of my spoiler Trisha:

(view spoiler)

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Alison wrote: "I will finish this book today so I haven’t read all your spoilers yet! I had to chime in, however, and agree with you that this book has sucked me in...I have loved all the magic and supernatural e..."

I'm so glad you are loving it Alison! Would love to do another buddy read when the next one comes out!

message 27: by Trisha, Buddy Reads (last edited Aug 12, 2020 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Trisha (trishabisen) | 2279 comments Finished! Loved it a lot - in fact, if I had known that this book was about MAGIC, I’d have read this sooner; I’m someone who has been waiting for the Hogwarts’ letter all her life. Lol! Can’t wait for the next one!

For those of you who are interested, here’s my review of the book.

Ruthie (ruthieram_reads) | 985 comments Right??!!

I didn't know it was about magic either because I don't think I ever read the description or any info about it just knew I liked her other books!

SO GOOD! glad you liked it too!

Maria Munoz | 77 comments I started some of this book, then life got me busy, and had to reborrow it, not sure I’ll finish in time before this chat closes. Great imagery so far though!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ninth House (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Leigh Bardugo (other topics)