Play Book Tag discussion

The Healing
This topic is about The Healing
July 2020: Southern > The Healing by Jonathan Odell - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8939 comments This is one of those books that has just been on my TBR for forever, and none of the massive cleanouts, ever got it to disappear. Something about it was compelling.

The story is set on a plantation before the civil war (antebellum - a term I had honestly never heard before), where slaves are mistreated and "do not know or remember themselves." Through the story, we meet a lot of different kind of folks, struggling to figure out who they are, could be, and how they fit into a line and generation of a people, and who they might become, if only it were possible. In comes Polly Shine, slave and healer, who recognizes in our main character, a gift (for healing) that she doesn't even know is there. The story is set in two time frames - when Granada is young, and when she is 85-90 with a young girl who emerges who needs care. The story unravels from there. It is a story about bonds created, and bonds broken. About remembering and healing and its secrets. Its about coming into who you are and could be. Its about the difficult path to slavery and what it means to be free. 3.5 stars, and I am glad I read it.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Jul 29, 2020 10:23PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5655 comments This sounded interesting to me too. It didn't grab me when I first tried it, but I can't blame the books for that. I seem to have to start 3 before I find one that clicks. I've read a lot of slavery era books this year and they've become much easier to handle. I might try this one again.