Travel Literature Makes My Heart Beat Faster.. discussion

750 miles along the backroads of Japan

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Todd (new)

Todd Wassel | 5 comments Walking in Circles: Finding Happiness in Lost Japan
Hi Everyone, it is nice to meet everyone. I have a new book out, well my first book in a series about Japan, and how I finally let go of what I thought society was demanding of me.

Set on the remote Island of Shikoku I walk a 1,200 year old Buddhist Pilgrimage to 88 temples. The book reflects back on 20 years of calling Japan home, and explores my my own search for a meaningful life as my own fate is intertwined with a slew of interesting Japanese characters searching for the same thing.

"Sleeping outside, armed with a Japanese map to guide him, Todd is helped along his way by a wandering ascetic hiding from the Freemasons; naked Yakuza trying to shake him down; a scam artist pilgrim; and a Buddhist monk who hates America but loves beef jerky.

Can he find what he’s looking for before the path, or his new friends, break him?"

I left the US 20 years ago and just kept going. I'm currently living in Laos.

Nice to meet you.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Sounds interesting Todd. Do you have an official blurb for the book? I’d be happy to update the GR listing for you. Nice cover, by the way.

message 3: by Todd (new)

Todd Wassel | 5 comments Hi Andrea, thanks, and yes. Interesting that the blurb didn't make it over. here it is:

Why couldn’t he just be happy with a desk job?

Out of work, out of love, drowning in debt, and lost in Japan. In a last-ditch attempt to be happy with his life, award-winning travel writer Todd Wassel sets out to walk the 750-mile, 88-temple Shikoku Henro pilgrimage.

But why does he have to make it so hard on himself?

Sleeping outside, armed with a Japanese map to guide him, Todd is helped along his way by a wandering ascetic hiding from the Freemasons; naked Yakuza trying to shake him down; a scam artist pilgrim; and a Buddhist monk who hates America but loves beef jerky.

Can he find what he’s looking for before the path, or his new friends, break him?

Walking in Circles is a fun, inspirational travel memoir filled with interesting characters and a Japan that tourists never see.

Join Todd Wassel on his unforgettable Japanese adventure. You’ll be shocked at what you find on the backroads of Japan.

message 4: by Todd (new)

Todd Wassel | 5 comments Andrea wrote: "Sounds interesting Todd. Do you have an official blurb for the book? I’d be happy to update the GR listing for you. Nice cover, by the way."
Andrea, I updated the blurb myself. Thanks for the help!

Todd

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Todd wrote: "Andrea, I updated the blurb myself. Thanks..."

Oh that's great! Sorry, I got distracted and only just saw your message now.