What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book: bear and his mum live in woods

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed Phillips | 3 comments Stories about a little bear and his mum living in the woods, in a bear community, no humans.
1. He goes to school and gets in fight in with a fat bully bear and then gets smacked on his bum by his teacher (he's embarassed about pulling his pants down). His mum came in and told off the teacher.
2. He goes trick or treating. Maybe the bully bear became his friend? He had a friend with him, picking costumes.
3. He gets a red go-cart with his friend.

He had a distinctive, sort of funny name. Something bear. Stern mum, always wearing apron. Black and white illustrations, bears look wooden. The tone was more quiet and somber, like Old Bear. I read it in about 2003, the book seems old.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jul 24, 2020 05:59PM) (new)

Kris | 35703 comments Mod
Ed, is this a children's picture book or chapter book?

Are the black and white illustrations: simple or detailed, realistic or cartoon-like, painted watercolors or bold graphics? Or like woodblock illustrations? Do they remind you of a similar illustrator or picture book author?

message 3: by Carson (new)

Carson (explodingtardis10) | 28 comments There's the Little Bear series with pictures by Maurice Sendak. Also the Jesse Bear series. I'd say to me personally, the Little Bear series has the old feel to it. Both have moms with aprons. Hope this helps.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20153 comments The spanking from the teacher makes me think UK, but then the trick-or-tricking makes me think American.

Ed, do you think the book was UK-based?

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39848 comments Mod
Can we rule out something from the Lonely Doll series by Dare Wright? It had the characters Mr. Bear and Little Bear. There was at least one spanking given. The illustrations were all black and white photos. But I don't remember things happening in the woods.

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Dare Wright (other topics)