Play Book Tag discussion

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
July 2020: Southern > The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix- 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments Not my usual genre, not my usual type of read- but hey, why not throw a random a Southern/Vampire/Horror book into the mix. The cover struck my fancy, and rave reviews combined with a reading challenge convinced me to give it a chance. I did the audio, and unfortunately it teetered between a 2-3 stars for me- the kickass ending bumped it up in the end, and had the entire book been as thrilling as the last 20%, it would have fared much better for me.

The title basically explains it- a Southern ladies' book club veers off their normal selections and decides to read true crime instead. When a stranger moves to town, strange things start happening, and our fearless leader Patricia starts investigating. The horror was definitely more over-the-top, Tarantino-style, which I liked. I didn't realize this was satirical until halfway though, but once I got that- the satire filter helped my enjoyment. I also thought the writing was very clever- the little things made me laugh out loud- like when a woman sees a bloody person-her first thought is "oh no, the white carpet!" versus- "OMG that person is bloody". Very funny, very clever. Those moments just weren't enough to hold the rest of the book together for me.

I think my issue was that I never felt invested in any of the characters. Other than Patricia, I felt the characters were stereotypical and only there as convenience. She has to convince her friends HOW MANY TIMES that something is going on-the book focused a LOT on the non-believers- and that is the part that I don't really care about. There are some themes of bad spouses, bad parenting, and bad people that I felt weren't delved into deeply enough to be impactful. The Southern-ness (which I think was exaggerated in the audio) bothered me. I didn't feel the atmospheric tone and setting of the South- just the racism and sexism.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 283 comments Nice review. :-)

Meli (melihooker) | 3449 comments Darn, that's too bad.
I loved the book, but I am not sure I can disagree with anything you said. I mean, of course opinions aren't wrong, but also what you've described is accurate.

I think I loved it because this is kinda right up my alley, light fun horror read. I get satisfaction from that kinda story like people who enjoy a predictable romance. :)

Did you read My Best Friend's Exorcism?
I didn't like that one as much but is fun and gory like Southern.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments I haven't read any others by this author- in fact I didn't realize the author was a man until right now, lol

I'd give him another chance, probably only for a tag through, lol.