San Antonio Public Library discussion

Books based on TV show

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cris (new)

Cris (crism) | 78 comments Mod
Have you ever read a book because you enjoyed the TV show or movie that inspired it?

message 2: by Cris (new)

I've read several original books based on the TV show "Eureka" and "Murder, She Wrote" with varying enjoyment. I had to hunt for the "Eureka" books, so I definitely wouldn't have read them without being a fan of the TV show.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
I grew up on the Robotech novels. Devoured them. While I don't usually do novels based on TV shows or movies (novels based on role-playing games, yes), I have done a lot of graphic novels based on them. I read a good chunk of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel graphic novels series. In some cases, it's "fun alternate stories that might have been a filler episode" or entire alternate story arcs that are supposed to be happening simultaneously with the main story arc of a season. And, of course, several series have switched to graphic novels after cancellation... Firefly, BtVS, and Angel among them.

message 4: by Shannan (new)

Shannan (shannan_prukop) | 97 comments Mod
I started the Crimson Peak novel, and it was appropriately Gothic, but didn't hold my attention enough to finish the book. I have to admit that typically I avoid novels based on TV/movies because in the past they've often been poorly written. I did read several books set in the Halo universe, but that's video games.

Generally, I'm with Mark--I don't really read tie-ins unless they're graphic novels. I picked up the Steven Universe comics initially because I was reviewing them, and have really enjoyed how they give a more expanded view of the SU universe, with more space to slice of life stories and not the big, world and universe saving plots of the show.

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bjbixlerhotmailcom) | 67 comments I have read some Star Trek (original series) novels, one Star Trek Discovery novel, one Criminal Minds novel, and a few Star Wars novels or short story anthologies. I have also read one Murder She Wrote (Jessica Fletcher) novel which I enjoyed.

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cmoreno) I read the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris because of the tv show True Blood. I also started the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon after watching the tv series.

Usually I tend to read the books before I watch the movie or the tv series, and I'm the one saying - "that didn't happen in the book" or "that really happened like this.."

message 7: by Dianna (new)

Dianna (diannamorganti) | 5 comments I love watching the shows inspired by books, because I always imagine things very vividly. It’s fun to see how someone else does that.

The Dexter series was fun, but I abandoned it after it started to diverge from the books too much. Plus it and Sophie Stackhouse were both much darker than I’d imagined the books to be.

Odd Thomas and Harry Dresden were both great series that had to change some benign but important things. I’m sure Elvis’s image is prohibitively expensive to use for example. So I was able to accept the rest of the changes because I knew one big one had to happen. I watched both of those to the end and really enjoyed them.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
Ah, now someone mentions Star Wars and makes a liar out of me. I've read my share of Star Wars books, especially the new canon stuff out in the last five years or so.

message 9: by Shannan (new)

Shannan (shannan_prukop) | 97 comments Mod
I tried to read Dresden, but it just really wasn't my cup of tea.

message 10: by Miguel (new)

Miguel Garza | 5 comments I read Annihilation, by Jeff Vandermeer, after watching the movie first, but it wasn't really because I loved the movie. I was actually a little underwhelmed by the movie, but by chance after watching it I read a different novel by the same author, the first one I'd ever read by him, and was blown away, so I went back and read Annihilation. It was excellent.

message 11: by Mary (last edited Aug 04, 2020 11:34AM) (new)

Mary | 7 comments I started watching Big Little Lies and started reading the book at the same time. There were enough differences between the two to keep the intrigue.

message 12: by Cris (new)

Mark wrote: "Ah, now someone mentions Star Wars and makes a liar out of me. I've read my share of Star Wars books, especially the new canon stuff out in the last five years or so."

I'm pretty sure I read some of the old (70s and 80s) Star Trek novels before I watched the TV show. That's why I tried the show. Considering I was reading novels published before they really clamped down on the novels, there was a wide variation in characterization and background info.