The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
ARCHIVE - Buddy Reads 2020 > The Handmaid's Tale

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kristie | 5139 comments Some group members will be reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Everyone is welcome to join the discussion here. Please use spoiler tags as needed.

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1) by Margaret Atwood

Offred is a Handmaid in the Republic of Gilead. She may leave the home of the Commander and his wife once a day to walk to food markets whose signs are now pictures instead of words because women are no longer allowed to read. She must lie on her back once a month and pray that the Commander makes her pregnant, because in an age of declining births, Offred and the other Handmaids are valued only if their ovaries are viable. Offred can remember the years before, when she lived and made love with her husband, Luke; when she played with and protected her daughter; when she had a job, money of her own, and access to knowledge. But all of that is gone now . . .

Funny, unexpected, horrifying, and altogether convincing, The Handmaid's Tale is at once scathing satire, dire warning, and tour de force.

message 2: by Jenni (new) - added it

Jenni Lindsay | 12 comments Looking forward to reading this!! I didnt watch the show so this is all new to me!

Sara - Always Reading (alwaysreadingalwaysdreaming) | 12 comments This book has been on my TBR since 2012. I think this is a sign I should read along :). I haven't watched the series yet either because I have been waiting to read the book.

H.T.J. Christa | 4 comments To be honest, I liked the second book a bit better, but it's definitely a must-read in my opinion :) Oh, and I really love the series, totally recommend watching!

Renee (elenarenee) | 145 comments I actually like the first better. It was such an interesting world. Second book I knew what to expect. Looking forward to discussing it.

message 6: by Ryl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryl (ryldvs) | 7 comments Here's my review.

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1) The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is my first reviewwwwww. I am hoping that i could develop a thing or two by writing reviewssss.

(view spoiler)[
The loneliness and emptiness of the character, Offred, is well portrayed. Her emotions, her deep-seated desires, her dreams, and her hopes are infinite while the reality stops these from realizing.

The plot of the story is very creative that it inserts a flashback in a single chapter with the present time. It is very effective to put these flashbacks since it gives an idea of how the character really felt with the reality, thus, giving more powerful emotions to the reality.

The theme of the story is very meaningful in a sense that the women at that time were so suppressed while the men has a limited role on the conflict. It was, then, the state has the big role of the suppression. What is more symbolic is that the higher class of women themselves were the ones who are sharing a role in the struggle of Offred. It is like portraying a society that plays their role blindly. (hide spoiler)]

I will give this full stars! The symbols and the wordplay are so powerful that it gives and suggests more more meanings that i could reflect on. I suggest this to the readers who have interests in dystopia, like 1984.

I am looking froward for the second book, it's sequel!!!

View all my reviews

Laureen | 38 comments I first read this book when I was in college at the age of 19. I remember thinking it was interesting but not much more. I think I was too young to really appreciate it and I think it was the first dystopian book I had ever read, so I didn't quite know what to make of it. I watched the first season of the TV show and then reread it and was blown away. I realized what an amazing job Margaret Atwood did in imagining and creating this world and how symbolic the oppression is. I read (actually listened to) The Testaments this year. I don't think it is as brilliant of a book, but I loved it because of how it ended, which I liked. It may not be as much of a classic, but I was very happy to read it. I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else thinks!

Renee (elenarenee) | 145 comments Laureen, You post expresses my feelings. I did enjoy seeing how some of the chars from the first book became who they were. But the second book did not come close to the first

message 9: by Jenni (new) - added it

Jenni Lindsay | 12 comments I’m am starting this book today. Looking forward to discussing soon.

Celine  (ceelovesbooks) | 28 comments Im so excited! I didn't realize that a group would be reading this book. I just bought it :)

message 11: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 10 comments I read this book years ago (back before the Trump Administration). I have also watched the series. Many who have watched may be disappointed in the book. The program really fleshes out the backstories.

Still I loved this book. Especially the epilogue with a conference on the history of Gilead.

Angelique | 3 comments I finished to read it.
It was an amazing reading. I feel like I was inside Offred's head with all her thoughts, doubts, fantasies...
I'm not going to read the second book yet. Afraid to be disappointed.
Then, I have started watching the series. It's different but in a good way. It's like you can finally see the big picture.
I read this book because I saw this buddy read. So thank you for inspiring me.

message 13: by Laureen (last edited Aug 08, 2020 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laureen | 38 comments I did The Testaments on audio and it was a nice surprise that the actress (in the TV show) who plays Aunt Lydia does her voice in the book. She does a wonderful job! Her character arc is not exactly the same as the TV show but she makes both seem believable.

Renee (elenarenee) | 145 comments I did enjoy The Testaments. It was interesting hearing how Aunt Lydia became Aunt Lydia. But I was disappointed because I wanted more about Offred.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Handmaid's Tale (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Margaret Atwood (other topics)