What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life
This topic is about The Delicate Dependency
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Horror: father seeks daughter? vampire, paris, dinner party, strange house (greenhouse?), prisoner, and it's all a blur. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ashley Lambert-Maberly (ashleytylerjohn) | 20 comments Read it in the last five years, and am completely flummoxed I can't find it in my goodreads list. I was reading a lot of similar things, and there was family crises, and the time is a bit of a blur.

This is a book with some literary pretensions, so not one of the ubiquitous young adult or romance novels in the wake of Twilight. Sorry to have such a dim memory. I'm fairly certain the protagonist is a man with a daughter ... I think she gets abducted by a member of the household or guest he shouldn't have trusted .. somehow he discovers a secret vampire society in Paris. At least I think it's Paris--I seem to think it's on the same island as Notre Dame Cathedral. He is also taken prisoner (in that he can't leave the house) but he is allowed to roam about it. I think there's a weird greenhouse that features prominently. It may have been a library book (sometimes they're due back, and I miss recording them).

I think there's another prisoner, a woman, but there's something mysterious about her and she may well not be a prisoner at all but some kind of vampire double agent. Again, it's a blur. What stands out most strongly is the vampire's arrogance, perfectly willing to let the man live and wander about his home, such as we might suffer a fly to buzz about the ceiling, it's no threat to us whatsoever.

And maybe it's not even a vampire, but some other creature/demon/god thingy. But he read as a vampire, in my memory.

Does that twig anything for anyone?

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (tadpoledrain) | 135 comments Can you look at your record of checked-out books at your library, if you think it was maybe a library book?

Ashley Lambert-Maberly (ashleytylerjohn) | 20 comments Can you look at your record of checked-out books at your library, if you think it was maybe a library book?

No, my library doesn't have that functionality, sadly.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35389 comments Mod
Ashley, what's the genre (which we need to add to the topic header) - e.g., adult or teen fantasy, thriller, mystery?

Ashley Lambert-Maberly (ashleytylerjohn) | 20 comments Kris wrote: "Ashley, what's the genre (which we need to add to the topic header) - e.g., adult or teen fantasy, thriller, mystery?"

I think it's technically "horror" ... it's the sort of thing that might be on, say, Horror: 100 Best Books by Stephen Jones, except it wasn't, I checked.

message 6: by Juels (last edited Aug 03, 2020 01:54PM) (new)

Juels | 2483 comments Is the vampire involved in the abduction of the main character's daughter?

Ashley Lambert-Maberly (ashleytylerjohn) | 20 comments I think so. My Very Vague Memory is that there's a person in their life (faithful servant, protege, college student, visiting professor?) who is not what they seem. I'm not sure if they're the vampire or a minion.

The most distinctive thing (the reason I want to revisit it) is the abduction of the father, kept prisoner in a house he can roam about it, and the weird greenhouse/conservatory (can't remember why it's weird), and the dinner parties, all very polite, despite the life-or-death stakes (no pun intended).

Ashley Lambert-Maberly (ashleytylerjohn) | 20 comments I solved my own book question! Is that allowed? I hope so.

It's The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life, and I googled Paris / Vampire / Greenhouse / Novel / -Lestat, and this came up in the images, and I thought, yes! (It found it in ScribD, of all places).

It's not normally so easy as that ;-) So this is solved. I don't understand how to move it to the solved forum, though ...

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35389 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Ashley. Here's the link - The Delicate Dependency: A Novel of the Vampire Life by Michael Talbot.

I marked your request as Solved by clicking the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app.