Retro Reads discussion

My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1)
This topic is about My Friend Flicka
Buddy reads > My Friend Flicka Chapters 1-19

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hana (last edited Jul 22, 2020 06:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
In rural Wyoming in the years after WW1, Ken McLaughlin, the ten year old son of a rancher, is day-dreaming of having a colt of his very own.

message 2: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments In fact, I'd say that day-dreaming about his own colt is his whole life; very little exists for him except that mythical colt and himself. I'm trying to remember if I was ever that single-minded...

message 3: by Hana (last edited Jul 23, 2020 04:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Maybe....but he daydreams about the duck picture and the picture of Ruth "amid the alien corn" so I think it's more that he has this quality of letting his imagination roam so widely that his thoughts become reality to him.

message 4: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments Hana wrote: "Maybe....but he daydreams about the duck picture and the picture of Ruth "amid the alien corn" so I think it's more that he has this quality of letting his imagination roam so widely that his thoug..."

I think you're right; Ken lives within his imagination, and that's why the colt is so important to him. Put like that, I can remember that kind of determination, which often does translate to single-mindedness.

message 5: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments There are some gorgeous pictures on Google of the Remount Ranch in Wyoming, where O'Hara wrote this and is the model for the Goose Bar. I'll bet Hana can post them here. (ok, ok, I'm a techy dummy - it has to have a button to click on before I can do it without messing up my temper).

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
I couldn't find them but as soon as I do I'll post them. Meanwhile my copy has not yet arrived. From memory and the GR preview I loved the scene with Cigarette (the horse). O'Hara can get inside the mind of a horse just as well as she gets inside the mind of a young boy.

message 7: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments I'm pretty sure I've known Cigarette; there's nothing like a horse that's laughing at you...

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Indeed! Cigarette is an ornery, crafty devil--NOT a horse I would chose to ride bareback on the open range!

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
I see even Idaho is caught in the grip of this vile heatwave. So if you'd like to chill out and get a look at Wyoming winter scenery at its wildest check out this hour long video from Nature at PBS--no music, no narration, just the awesome sights and sounds of winter in Yellowstone. https://www.pbs.org/video/spend-an-ho...

message 10: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments Hana wrote: "I see even Idaho is caught in the grip of this vile heatwave. So if you'd like to chill out and get a look at Wyoming winter scenery at its wildest check out this hour long video from Nature at PBS..."

This is, I think, the hottest day of the year so far; it topped out at about 96 and is 94 now at 6:00 pm. We're always billed as "brief but intense summers", which is pretty accurate! But this year really has been lovely. We often get summer days of 100+ in July, so I'm trying not to complain about such a late start! And, luckily, it's a "dry heat" (haha) (humidity right now is at 13%), and our nights do cool off beautifully. But 7000' Wyoming would be better!

Have you been to Yellowstone, Hana? It's beautiful and like no other place, but at the same time, it's intimidating and almost too much. I'm not sure why, since we have wilderness all around here with scenery that's actually as spectacular, but Yellowstone is eerie!

message 11: by Hana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
I have not been to Yellowstone, but that PBS video gave me a sense of the eeriness you mention. I did go hiking and camping in Banff National Park in Alberta--that was an awesome experience!

Thirteen percent humidity sounds delightful. We are at 56% in Boston :(

message 12: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments Hana wrote: "I have not been to Yellowstone, but that PBS video gave me a sense of the eeriness you mention. I did go hiking and camping in Banff National Park in Alberta--that was an awesome experience!

Thir..."

I'm not sure we have 56% humidity even when it's raining...

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 266 comments Although there are ranch hands, there’s no mention of any household help for Nell. It would be challenging to clean and cook, and still have time for afternoons of fishing and reading. On the other hand, it’s refreshing in a book of this era to have Rob tell her just to buy canned food and not work so hard baking, etc.

message 14: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1946 comments Peggy wrote: "Although there are ranch hands, there’s no mention of any household help for Nell. It would be challenging to clean and cook, and still have time for afternoons of fishing and reading. On the other..."

She does work hard! It's a good thing the ranch house isn't big, or she'd never have time for anything but housework and cooking. They don't even have electricity, and anyone who's used lanterns and candles knows just how messy those are, too. And no washing machine (they send their laundry out)!

message 15: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Kaso | 105 comments Decided to re-read this first, as it’s been years since I’ve read this or Thunderhead. Don’t think I ever knew about Green Grass of Wyoming. I was horse mad as a kid, I rode everyday during summer breaks, every weekend until snow deepened. So many adventures, my best friend and I roamed all over the countryside. So much independence as a kid.