Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly > 2020 - 08 - family-saga - What's on your TBR?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PAS, Moderator AC (last edited Jul 22, 2020 03:04AM) (new)

PAS (Mods) (pasmods) | 629 comments Mod
description

August shelf is family-saga

Any favourites and/or top rec for this shelf?

message 2: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8689 comments Mod
I was so sure it's going to be social-justice as there are quite a number of entry but I guess random is as random goes.

I still haven't tried to read The Thorn Birds yet and it's been on my tbr forever and... um, no, not this time yet either lol

Pachinko was very good so I'd rec'd that one

The Forsyte Saga has just been picked for me on bookopoly so I think I'd read that! Perfect timing :)

message 3: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4684 comments Mod
Shoot! I just got my July book from the library,

OK...not sure just what I will read, but I see this one on the list...and I just got it from the library. My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry

It's not due until 8/11/20, so I think that is the one I will read.

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1402 comments I own a physical copy of My Family and Other Animals, and it would also work for Moving Mountains, which I've badly negelected, so I'll probably go with this.

Some books I cannot recommend highly enough:

Middlesex
The Family Carnovsky

message 5: by Lusie (last edited Aug 20, 2020 01:14PM) (new)

message 6: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 802 comments Yay, I love this genre! (hence nominating it)
There's three I own on the first 10 pages so I should read at least one of them.
Freedom
Song of Solomon
Girl, Woman, Other
There's so many more I'd like to read, but will have to see what I can get hold of via library apps.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 3454 comments Mod
I have so many big books on tap, either for prompt 2 of JRI, or because they're on my Lost list or in series that I really want to continue. So I was glad to find a book by Jacqueline Woodson on this shelf that's not too long. I'll definitely read it: Red at the Bone.

I suspect that several other books I'm planning to read soon might also be on this shelf, but the method we've learned for checking that for a particular shelf doesn't seem to work for me any more - Goodreads always times out. I may keep trying, and if so, might find that Wonderstruck, The Way of Kings, or Ruins also works here.

message 8: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1402 comments Susan wrote: "I suspect that several other books I'm planning to read soon might also be on this shelf, but the method we've learned for checking that for a particular shelf doesn't seem to work for me any more - Goodreads always times out. "

The same has been happening to me for a while now. I don't know what is wrong with that particular kind of search - the website seems to be working smoothly when I'm doing the usual browsing/reviewing/commenting.

message 9: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 851 comments I have a few from this shelf:

The Story of the Lost Child by Elena Ferrante
The Radetzky March by Joseph Roth
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler

The one I'm most likely to get to is Eleanor & Park.

message 10: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Reid | 71 comments I have several from this shelf on my TBR:

A Long Petal of the Sea
Red at the Bone
The Vanishing Half

I will start with A Long Petal of the Sea since it's available now.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a few from this shelf on my TBR too but I think I will go with Pachinko as this is one of the library books I currently have out and will need to return very soon.

message 12: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 1199 comments Not sure what I've got on my shelves for this one. Romances don't usually lend themselves to family saga type stories... well maybe some old skool ones might. I'll have to go check!

message 13: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 1199 comments Well, there were several on the list I didn't expect! I'll be checking me Nora Roberts more closely for sure. But I need/want to re-read Pride and Prejudice, so I know that's one I'll be reading this month.

message 14: by Joyce (last edited Jul 29, 2020 09:46PM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 601 comments I am thinking of
A God in Ruins
Behind the Scenes at the Museum
The Miniaturist
First Frost
A Game of Thrones

None are in kindle unlimited nor do I own them. I have to check with the Library to see what I can get on my kindle

I read Sarum: The Novel of England back in the early 1990's and remember enjoying it even though I don't usually like sagas.

I do highly recommend these
Outlander
The Witching Hour
Circe
Garden Spells
The Peach Keeper
Dark Witch
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

message 15: by 7 (new)

7 | 11 comments I would like to read: The Dutch House

has anyone read this & what did you think!?

message 16: by Tien (last edited Aug 02, 2020 01:03AM) (new)

Tien wrote: "The Forsyte Saga has just been picked for me on bookopoly so I think I'd read that! Perfect timing :)"

I was being a very good girl and started this yesterday... 50 pages on and I realised, it's going to be one of those stories that I just can't deal with. I did Google first to confirm my suspicion and it is now discarded. Well, it's too pretty to be discarded so it's just going to be a pretty book on my shelf lol

ETA: well, what do you know, Bring Up the Bodies which I've just started (buddy reads with Dee) is also shelved as 'family-saga', so that'll do for now ;)

message 17: by Tien (new)

m wrote: "I would like to read: The Dutch House

has anyone read this & what did you think!?"

Sorry, m, I haven't read this one and Ann Patchett is touch and go for me so not sure...

message 18: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 802 comments m wrote: "I would like to read: The Dutch House

Loved it. If you like audio, it's read by Tom hanks

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

m wrote: "I would like to read: The Dutch House

I read this and loved it! I also heard the audio is very good too.

message 20: by Saylor (new)

Saylor Rains (theonlysaylor) | 35 comments I didn't expect to have so many from this shelf but I have:
Wuthering Heights which I own a copy of,
Little Fires Everywhere
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn I think I might have a copy,
The Goldfinch
Atonement
The Heart's Invisible Furies

I can't decide what to read first, so if anyone has read one of these and liked them, let me know!

message 21: by 7 (new)

7 | 11 comments thanks guys! i will give it a go - just need to find the time! happy reading everyone :)

message 22: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 601 comments Saylor wrote: "I didn't expect to have so many from this shelf but I have:
Wuthering Heights which I own a copy of,
Little Fires Everywhere
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn I thin..."

I enjoyed a tree grows in Brooklyn

message 23: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 718 comments Tien wrote: "I still haven't tried to read The Thorn Birds yet and it's been on my tbr forever and... um, no, not this time yet either lol

Pachinko was very good so I'd rec'd that one..."

I've got Pachinko on my tbr! But I keep skipping it... Another I'd had for a while was The Thorn Birds, but I read it earlier this year (I was touring the Australia Board) and it was worth the trouble! A fascinating story, a little sad at times. The volume had earned a special place in my "Big and/or Intimidating" list in Just Read It...

Another family saga I remember fondly- but I don't know if it's available in English- is El quinteto de Nagasaki [The Nagasaki Quintet]. I found it really interesting and couldn't put it down. It's about the lives of two families before and after the bomb fell on the city and the secrets they kept. The story is told in 5 novellas that were inicially published separately. The first of the five was published in English as Tsubaki.

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough El quinteto de Nagasaki by Aki Shimazaki Tsubaki by Aki Shimazaki