Science and Inquiry discussion

The Poison Squad: One Chemist's Single-Minded Crusade for Food Safety at the Turn of the Twentieth Century
This topic is about The Poison Squad
Book Club 2020 > September 2020 - Poison Squad

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1725 comments Mod
For September 2020 we will be reading The Poison Squad: One Chemist's Single-Minded Crusade for Food Safety at the Turn of the Twentieth Century.

Please use this thread to post questions, comments, or reviews, at any time.

message 2: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

According to my Goodreads records, I haven't read this book, but somewhere I have read about Dr. Wiley and his "poison squad". I believe it was some other book, not primarily about this topic, but which spent considerable pages on it. I remember it quite clearly, just not the title.

message 3: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (susanj13) | 89 comments Anyone else having trouble obtaining this book? My library doesn't have it in stock, there is no kindle version, and the few places that the paperback is available is at a very steep price (atleast in the UK).

Shame, because it looks really interesting.

message 4: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Susan wrote: "Anyone else having trouble obtaining this book? My library doesn't have it in stock, there is no kindle version, and the few places that the paperback is available is at a very steep price (atleast..."

That is unfortunate. It appears to be widely available in the U.S. I checked Amazon U.S. and they have both kindle and audible versions as well as reasonably priced paperbacks ($12). Could you possibly connect to the U.S. website of Amazon?

message 5: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Here is the link to the book on Amazon U.S.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...

I don't know if you'll be allowed to connect, but it's worth a try.

message 6: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan (susanj13) | 89 comments Betsy wrote: "Here is the link to the book on Amazon U.S.

I don't know if you'll be allowed to connect, but it's worth a try."

Will give it a shot. Thanks, Betsy.

David Rubenstein | 906 comments Mod
Susan,
You mention that a Kindle version is not available to you. But is an epub version available? Conversion from epub to Kindle version is possible (I've been doing that occasionally).

I am actually listening to the audiobook version, which I downloaded through my library.

message 8: by George P. (last edited Aug 13, 2020 03:05PM) (new)

George P. | 32 comments Betsy wrote: "Here is the link to the book on Amazon U.S.
I don't know if you'll be allowed to connect, but it's worth a try."

Amazon blocks users from their web sites in other countries, I tried to access their French site (I think it was) from the U S to buy a book and they didn't allow it.

There is a dvd documentary based on the book The Poison Squad with the same title, released this year, about 2 hrs long. I have a hold for it at a local library.

Jimmy | 88 comments Here is my review from earlier this year:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 407 comments Betsy wrote: "According to my Goodreads records, I haven't read this book, but somewhere I have read about Dr. Wiley and his "poison squad". I believe it was some other book, not primarily about this topic, but ..."

I think I read about Dr. Wiley in The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women
I just got the book from the library, starting soon.

message 11: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

That's not the book I was thinking about. But he's such an interesting figure, he's probably mentioned in a lot of books.

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 407 comments This really is a good book. The greed and negligence of food processors was extensive. As much as I loath government interference, in the case of food safety and labeling it is necessary.

David Rubenstein | 906 comments Mod
I finished listening to the audiobook. I highly recommend this book--it is engaging, informative, with lots of surprising twists in the story. Here is my review.

message 14: by George P. (new)

George P. | 32 comments I'm not reading the book but just watched the dvd documentary from it. The author, Deborah Blum, spoke a lot on the dvd.
I think if Dr. Wiley had not done the work and advocacy that he did that another or others would have done so eventually, but many Americans would have suffered (and some perhaps died) in the meantime. He deserved a medal.