Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

32 views
Book Cover Help > Hi! My new cover shows up here, but not on my dashboard

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Schiller (mjschiller) | 44 comments I think I must have messed something up somehow. When I search for the book it comes up with both the new cover and the old cover. But on the books page, only the old cover is there. Smells like a Mary mess up to me. Is it fixable?


message 2: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Schiller (mjschiller) | 44 comments I see on my dashboard now that there are two entries for the same book. One with the old cover, one with the new. Should this be fixed? Or is it okay that way? Thanks for any and all help!


message 3: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Schiller (mjschiller) | 44 comments Thank you, Andrew! I will be sure to take advantage of this from now on! There are so many things to remember as an author and once you hit 50 it becomes harder and harder. I appreciate your help!!!


message 4: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Schiller (mjschiller) | 44 comments Just to make doubly sure I have this right and don't mess anything else up again...when I have a new cover I create a second edition, then make that my default edition and then combine them? And I can do all that without bugging a librarian, right? Again, thank you for your help!


message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 22117 comments If you create a new edition they will already be combined. If the ISBN or ASIN is remaining the same, you would create an alternate cover edition.


message 6: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Schiller (mjschiller) | 44 comments Sorry to bother you again. I'm trying to get this down so I don't have to ask librarians to do the work for me. I have a new cover for another book. So I hit Add An Alternative Cover Edition and it says, "This will immediately create a new edition with the copied information and move the ISBN/ASIN. Are you sure?" This is what I want to do, right?


message 7: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments M.J. wrote: "Sorry to bother you again. I'm trying to get this down so I don't have to ask librarians to do the work for me. I have a new cover for another book. So I hit Add An Alternative Cover Edition and it..."

yes


message 8: by Samantha (last edited Jul 23, 2020 11:43AM) (new)

Samantha Lovelock (samanthalovelock) | 20 comments I am having the same problem with mine! I followed all of the steps and made the new cover the default, but the list my book is on isn't updating, and all of the TBR links in my social media profiles pull up the placeholder cover. Is there a way to have the correct cover show instead?


message 9: by Emily (last edited Jul 23, 2020 11:50AM) (new)

Emily | 14724 comments If you are referring to Fragile Things, it looks like you did it correctly if the cover was not a placeholder.
Lists are edition specific. So whoever already marked the book on a list would have to change it; you can't, sorry. Your links would need to be linked to the URL of the new edition rather than the old one.


message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Lovelock (samanthalovelock) | 20 comments Emily wrote: "If you are referring to Fragile Things, it looks like you did it correctly if the cover was not a placeholder.
Lists are edition specific. So whoever already marked the book on a list would have to..."


The orginal cover WAS a placeholder.


message 11: by Emily (last edited Jul 23, 2020 12:00PM) (new)

Emily | 14724 comments Samantha wrote: "The orginal cover WAS a placeholder."

Then an alternate edition did not need to be created. Did you send out ARCs with that cover?


message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Lovelock (samanthalovelock) | 20 comments Emily wrote: "Samantha wrote: "The orginal cover WAS a placeholder."

Then an alternate edition did not need to be created. Did you send out ARCs with that cover?"


Nope. Nothing was sent out with the placeholder cover. Is there a way to fix this? Sorry I'm brand new and oviously have no idea what I'm doing.


message 13: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Schiller (mjschiller) | 44 comments M.J. wrote: "Sorry to bother you again. I'm trying to get this down so I don't have to ask librarians to do the work for me. I have a new cover for another book. So I hit Add An Alternative Cover Edition and it..."

Thank you, Suzi! I appreciate your help!


message 14: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments M.J. wrote: "M.J. wrote: "Sorry to bother you again. I'm trying to get this down so I don't have to ask librarians to do the work for me. I have a new cover for another book. So I hit Add An Alternative Cover E..."

;~}


message 15: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8667 comments M.J. wrote: "Just to make doubly sure I have this right and don't mess anything else up again...when I have a new cover I create a second edition, then make that my default edition and then combine them? And I ..."

It's not bugging librarians - it's utilizing a resource.


message 16: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Schiller (mjschiller) | 44 comments :)


message 17: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 23, 2020 12:31PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6831 comments Suzi wrote: "It's not bugging librarians - it's utilizing a resource."

I love this. We're volunteers and that's what we're here for!


message 18: by Samantha (last edited Jul 23, 2020 12:49PM) (new)

Samantha Lovelock (samanthalovelock) | 20 comments Andrew wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Nope. Nothing was sent out with the placeholder cover. Is there a way to fix this? Sorry I'm brand new and oviously have no idea what I'm doing."

non-ACE merged"


THANK YOU!!!! Andrew, you're awesome! Thank you, Emily, for your help as well. :)


message 19: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Schiller (mjschiller) | 44 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Suzi wrote: "It's not bugging librarians - it's utilizing a resource."

I love this. We're volunteers and that's what we're here for!"


I so appreciate that!


message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily | 14724 comments Samantha wrote: "Andrew, you're awesome! Thank you, Emily, for your help as well. :)"

I was called away before I could do that. When you are ready to remove the placeholder cover for the other book let us know.


message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Lovelock (samanthalovelock) | 20 comments Emily wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Andrew, you're awesome! Thank you, Emily, for your help as well. :)"

I was called away before I could do that. When you are ready to remove the placeholder cover for the other boo..."


I absolutely will! Thanks again, Emily! :)


back to top