Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16)
This topic is about Peace Talks
Thomas(Peace Talks)

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darkcain11 | 324 comments Mod
Thomas fate in Peace Talks.

message 2: by Darkcain11, Merlin (last edited Jul 21, 2020 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cleary Thomas was used to attack Etri. I thought it was interesting that he was left in stasis. He will be able to talk with the British prisoner. Who I think is Mordred. Who I believe is the next wielder of Amoracchius. I don't think Thomas will be dealt with until the book after Battle Ground called Mirror Mirror.

Christian | 148 comments I agree that there is likely going to be some interaction with the prisoner, I have another suspect when it comes to the identity. Why do you think it’s Mordred and what would make him such a good wieder for Excalibur. I personally think it’s Mordreds father, who has a proven track record with that particular blade.

I’d love to hear your thoughts for our idea.

message 4: by Darkcain11, Merlin (last edited Jul 21, 2020 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well, its a prison for evil beings right. Mordred supposedly kills Arthur in the legend. So makes sense for merlin to place a manipulated Mordred in Demonreach. Him wielding Amoracchius later would be cool redemption in my opinion. I don't see merlin sealing Aurthur in there. I do however see merlin sealing Mordred in minimum security. Oh and after the former leader talking to mab. I need Mordred meeting Mab.

message 5: by Darkcain11, Merlin (last edited Jul 21, 2020 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Could be just me. Having Mordred on a path of redemption taking up his father's sword. A father he slew in the past. Now becoming a knight of a cross seems way more interesting.

Christian | 148 comments One of the reasons why I think it’s Arthur, is because the part of Arthurian legend of him returning. This is something Merlin could have supported by putting him in stasis on Demonreach. Lying on a island is another part of the legend, and remember that Harry chose Demonreach as a name, who can say if Avalon wasn’t another name used in the past.
And just as Harry just demonstrated, the island is not limited to bind evil beings.

message 7: by Darkcain11, Merlin (new) - rated it 5 stars

True, I wouldn't hate it being Aurthur. That would be cool having the OG. I always think about future interactions. Him talking with Micheal or Mab would be interesting.
I just believe from a narrative perspective Mordred taking up Amoracchius to redeem his actions would be slightly more interesting.

Vicki | 3 comments Darkcain11 wrote: "True, I wouldn't hate it being Aurthur. That would be cool having the OG. I always think about future interactions. Him talking with Micheal or Mab would be interesting.
I just believe from a narr..."

I like the Mordred idea, I've always hated it being the obvious choices of Arthur or Merlin, but I can totally see Merlin being angry at Mordred and imprisoning him there. Or finding out he was Nfected and not knowing how to deal with it so putting him in there until he could figure out and never managing to.

Also Jim is taking a lot of Arthurian myth pieces (as we see with the reference to Mab) as well as others and weaving them together. I'd love to see some more Celtic and Norse/Greek/other Gods turn up for BG as well

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments Darkcain11 wrote: "Cleary Thomas was used to attack Etri. I thought it was interesting that he was left in stasis. He will be able to talk with the British prisoner. Who I think is Mordred. Who I believe is the next ..."

Harry specified to Alfred that Thomas' thoughts were to be shielded from the other prisoners.

message 10: by Caryl (last edited Jul 22, 2020 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments Christian wrote: "One of the reasons why I think it’s Arthur, is because the part of Arthurian legend of him returning. This is something Merlin could have supported by putting him in stasis on Demonreach. Lying on ..."

Technically Thomas could be classified as an evil being. He sees himself as a monster. -See short story, Backup.- And the pain he felt in being bound was the pain he had caused to others according to the explanation Harry gave him before performing the ritual.
We, the readers, know he is a conflicted soul but the island might not have a setting for that.
Still, I embrace the idea that the island is Avalon and Arthur is there somewhere. But I think the Mordred angle might make better story/plot.
Besides, those who have read Peace Talks now know that Merlin is no longer among the living. Corb taunted Mab with that fact.

Christian | 148 comments @caryl
I don’t want to absolve Thomas, I’m just not to sure that all the island can do is housing monsters as an eternal prison.
The island was set up by Merlin, who clearly falls into the category of schemer and manipulator, reading peace talks, he also had a personal relationship with the queen of scheming. I just feel that the island as a multilayer tool, is more appealing, than just a deep pit to keep monsters.

Just look at amorachius, the sword would have been perfectly fine as just a mighty weapon, but no it needed to be revealed as also have known as Excalibur, it was also mentioned as the only one of the three never reforged. This is just an example on how Butcher loves to add additional function of things he had already introduced. It’s just Harry and through him us who have not seen the full picture yet.

This makes your points not wrong, it’s just for my personal enjoyment, I like there to be an extra twist. As long as it is prepared for, deus ex machina is of course a possibility in the Dresden universe, but almost always boring.

Caryl Huffstetler | 90 comments Christian wrote: "@caryl
I don’t want to absolve Thomas, I’m just not to sure that all the island can do is housing monsters as an eternal prison.
The island was set up by Merlin, who clearly falls into the catego..."

I'm not disagreeing with your points either. As I said, I can fully believe in Demonreach also being Avalon. But if Merlin is dead as Corb says....

Arthur or Mordred either one is possible. It's just Arthur's only supposed to return to save the British Isles according to my understanding of that legend. -I could be wrong.- That's why I kind of lean to Mordred IF the prisoner is from Arthurian legend at all.

And now I want to know all about Mab and original Merlin. Don't you?

Christian | 148 comments Save the world, save Britain, just saying. My expectation is that the prisoner will only come into play much later in the series.

Christian | 148 comments Merlin and Mab ought to have a short story dedicated, but I’m afraid that will not happen anytime soon.