Play Book Tag discussion

July 2020: Southern > The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Carson McCullers, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 100 comments Set in a Georgia mill town, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter follows 5 main characters, who are all very different but somehow interact. Originally published in 1940. Each character is experiencing life in this small town in their own way: one in a poor white family, one in a "wealthy" white family, one in a poor black family, and one a "wealthy" black man who is town doctor. I put "wealthy" in quotes because in this southern mill town, the wealth was nothing overwhelming. The fifth main character brings everyone together. John Singer, a deaf-mute who seems to have the most wealth in money also seems to have the most wealth in love for others. He simply draws people to him, because he listens and gives from his heart.
It is a sad tale that shows many various life struggles. I give it 4 stars because I think it shows some very diverse views of love for others. There are some political aspects to the story which would have been relevant at the time and are probably still relevant, unfortunately. But those particular parts got to be a little too much for me. Maybe I should read the Spark's Notes to get some more insight.

message 2: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 283 comments Yvonne wrote: "Set in a Georgia mill town, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter follows 5 main characters, who are all very different but somehow interact. Originally published in 1940. Each character is experiencing lif..."

Great review. I just ordered it.