The Campus Laboratory School of Carlow University discussion

Welcome > Please introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Casey (new)

Casey (tomcasey) | 18 comments Mod
Welcome. My name is Casey O'Connor, parent of 8th grader Shahrzad and 6th grader Nile. We're starting the Goodreads Group in the midst of the COVID-19 distancing as a way to keep the Carlow community connected now and into the future.

Very often in the bleachers at basketball games or under the tent at XC meets, the conversation will turn to books... "What are you reading?" or "You've gotta read this..."

Think of this page like you do the bleachers or the tent. Start a conversation or jump into an existing one. Tell us what you are reading or what you'd recommend we read. Or start a discussion group for a particular book you'd like to read and discuss with others.

Hope you enjoy.

message 2: by Vida (last edited Aug 03, 2020 06:41PM) (new)

Vida   | 5 comments I am Vida Passero. I've been a parent for years and my children are in the 6th and 8th grades. I can't wait to see this take off because this "what are you reading" conversation occurs at every game, every school event. Thank you Casey!

Some authors with their "Gotta Reads" from my past few months:
Trevor Noah - Born a Crime
Kiley Reid - Such a Fun Age
Sally Rooney - Normal People
Kevin Wilson - Nothing to See Here
Chimamanda Ngozi Aditchie - Americanah

Currently reading: Washington Black by Esi Edugyan

Book recommendations please! What are you reading?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bartis Posti (seposti) | 1 comments Mod
I am Sarah Posti and I have been the third grade teacher at TCLS for 24 years. I am excited to take on the new role of Director of Curriculum and Assessment. I am even more excited to be a part of this amazing group.

message 4: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  Webster | 3 comments Hi all! Jessica Webster, Head of School & huge bookworm here! So excited that Casey started this bookclub. 😊. I have been reading like crazy this summer. My favorites have been Circe and Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller along with the Book of Longing by Sue Monk Kidd. I just finished She Would be Long and am reading The Widows Two Step (mystery) at the moment!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  Webster | 3 comments She would be King (autocorrect!)

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Sproul | 2 comments Hi! Anna Barch Sproul, your general music teacher at CLS. I love reading and have gotten back into reading paper books this spring/summer. I dig science fiction/fantasy/psychology/learning theory, and a lot of other stuff.

Currently, I'm in the middle of "So, You Want to Talk About Race" by Ijeoma Oluo, "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman, "Daring Greatly" by Brene Brown, and "Sophie Quire and the Last Storyguard" by Jonathan Auxier. I'd recommend all of them.

message 7: by Christine (last edited Aug 04, 2020 11:28AM) (new)

Christine | 4 comments Hi! I am Christine Salvi the 4th and 5th grade science teacher and the Coordinator of Innovation at CLS. I love to read and am so excited for our school book club! Thank you so much for organizing and I can't wait to check out some of your recommendations. One of the best books that I have read within the last few years was "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles. This summer I have read "Where the Forest Meets the Stars" by Glendy Vanderah and "Rules of Civility" by Amor Towles. I just started "The Great Alone" by Kristen Hannah. Up next will be "Born A Crime" by Trevor Noah.

message 8: by Casey (new)

Christine wrote: "Hi! I am Christine Salvi the 4th and 5th grade science teacher and the Coordinator of Innovation at CLS. I love to read and am so excited for our school book club! Thank you so much for organizing ..."

I too was taken with A Gentleman in Moscow. I enjoyed it as much as anything I've ever read. A unique idea, engaging, really a beautiful book.

Do you recommend Rules of Civility as well?

message 9: by Christine (new)

Christine | 4 comments Yes I do! It was a wonderful read. I loved the setting and the characters were very well developed. I really enjoyed his descriptions of fashion of the time and the historical references. I liked The Gentleman in Moscow better but I would recommend this one as well.

message 10: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm Kayla Posney, one of the Pre-Kindergarten teachers in our Reggio Emilia inspired program at the CLS! Reading is one of my great passions! My bachelor's degree is actually in English Literature and I briefly studied Victorian Literature at the University of Greenwich in London, England before deciding to return home to become a teacher. While literature wasn't the career for me, books remain a great passion.

Some of my favorite books include "The Great Gatsby" (my all-time favorite) by F. Scott Fitzgerald, "Emma" by Jane Austen, "Sense and Sensibility" by Jane Austen, "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte, and for more fluffier reads anything in the historical fiction genre from Jean Plaidy. She wrote historical fiction about anything from the Plantagenets to the Tudors. I also love a good thriller set in London. No matter what book I randomly pick out, it is set in London.

I also love biographies and historical works. Anne Boleyn is one of my favorite historical figures and I've read many works on her from Alison Weir, Antonia Fraser, and Eric Ives. I love reading all I can about her. I'm currently reading a book called "Anne Boleyn: 500 Years of Lies" by Hayley Nolan that examines Anne as a feminist icon and not the schemer that history made her out to be.

On a fun note: the best biography I've ever read is Elton John's "Me". I highly recommend :)

I love getting book recommendations and giving book recommendations. I can't wait to learn and share with all of you!

message 11: by Joey-linn (new)

Joey-linn | 1 comments Hi Everyone! Excited to be a part of this book club! Thank you Casey for getting it started and the invitation to join! I've been part of the CLS family for over 15 years with two daughters (Emily and Grace) who are now alum and a son starting in the 4th grade (Edward).

I'm currently reading Enough As She Is by Rachel Simmons. I enjoy reading a variety of books but especially ones that lift up girls. Looking forward to being part of the book club with all of you!

message 12: by Bernardine (new)

Bernardine Dias | 1 comments Hi everyone,
I am Bernardine Dias, mother to Brandon in 4th grade and Bianca in 1st grade. I love to read all kinds of books and generally read a few very different kinds of books in parallel. I am a roboticist by trade so am reading a book on deep learning now (THE book on the topic really). But I enjoy many genres so am reading several other books as well including the Gladwell book on talking to strangers which I find quite interesting. I recently read White Fragility and Good and Mad - both which I thought were both important and great books to read. I also enjoy reading biographies and especially loved Michelle Obama's book Becoming, and Melinda Gates' book Moment of Lift (it is super hard being a woman in tech). In any case, I could go on and on about books so I'll stop here :-) Thank you for the opportunity to exchange book ideas and discuss relevant topics with this group!

message 13: by Casey (new)

Great to have you. Don't stop going on and on about books. that's exactly what we want! :)

The Campus Laboratory School of Carlow University

unread topics | mark unread