NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Curtis Correll  (sarahcorrell) | 2 comments Hi everyone. I’m new to this group! I was curious if anyone might have information on how to become a reviewer? What are the steps involved? What are your pros/cons from your time as a book reviewer? Thank you!

message 2: by MissBecka (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 43 comments Did you already sign up for a NetGalley account?
If so, congrats you are a reviewer!
When getting started, I would suggest doing a bunch of Read Now books since they don't require approval and help you get some reviews under your belt before making requests from publishers.
Helps you get data for them to look at.
Have fun!!!

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (boingboing) | 16 comments How to become a reviewer? Read books. Post review of what you thought about the book. Read next book and repeat.
If you aren't already reviewing books, I'm not sure how you'll get on with Netgalley. Reviews don't have to be thousands of words and in-depth analysis. Some of the best are only a couple of paragraphs long.

message 4: by TBHONEST (new)

TBHONEST | 3 comments I’ve found with mine that it’s the shortest reviews publishers pay attention to and use. As it’s all my shorter ones that get featured or are used for promo by the publishers and I’ve had 2 so far actually featured on book covers.

Melissa (Semi-hiatus for daughter's wedding) (melissaparcel) | 17 comments TBHONEST wrote: "I’ve found with mine that it’s the shortest reviews publishers pay attention to and use. As it’s all my shorter ones that get featured or are used for promo by the publishers and I’ve had 2 so far ..."
Same thing happens to me. They like pull quotes for sure. I just had a quote posted by the author and publisher yesterday for a review I just wrote, went out over Twitter and all over their social media.

Dorie  - Cats&Books :) (dorie--catsbooks) | 474 comments TBHONEST wrote: "I’ve found with mine that it’s the shortest reviews publishers pay attention to and use. As it’s all my shorter ones that get featured or are used for promo by the publishers and I’ve had 2 so far ..."

Sometimes they pull parts of a review and don't publish it all. I'm really not a fan of that but once the review is public they are free to use only part of it if they like :)