The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

The Hate U Give (The Hate U Give, #1)
This topic is about The Hate U Give
ARCHIVE - Buddy Reads 2020 > The Hate U Give

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 5149 comments Some members are planning to read The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Everyone is welcome to join the discussion here. Please use spoiler tags as needed.

The Hate U Give (The Hate U Give, #1) by Angie Thomas

Sixteen-year-old Starr Carter moves between two worlds: the poor neighborhood where she lives and the fancy suburban prep school she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is shattered when Starr witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend Khalil at the hands of a police officer. Khalil was unarmed.

Soon afterward, his death is a national headline. Some are calling him a thug, maybe even a drug dealer and a gangbanger. Protesters are taking to the streets in Khalil’s name. Some cops and the local drug lord try to intimidate Starr and her family. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

But what Starr does—or does not—say could upend her community. It could also endanger her life.

Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, this is a powerful and gripping YA novel about one girl's struggle for justice.

Renee (elenarenee) | 145 comments This is an amazing book. I hope everyone gets as much out of it as I did. I will be watching the discussion. I will join in if I remember enough. I dont have enough time to do a reread

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 5149 comments I loved this one too, Renee.

Elizabeth (hufflepugtato) | 7 comments I finished this book a couple days ago, so I might jump into the discussion from time to time.

Roxanne (roxannej) | 22 comments I've going to start reading this tomorrow so if anyone wants to join me, feel free!

message 6: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa (ihavealwayslovedtoread) | 45 comments Haha lol Roxanne! I just looked this up and said I’m gonna buddy read this one too before I read that you were and then I realised you were too! I swear my, I am NOT stalking you!!! I just decided to read it and then you were too! Honestly! I look forwards to hearing what you think of this book!💕💕💃

Roxanne (roxannej) | 22 comments Yay Vanessa! That makes me so happy! We had such a great experience with our last book so maybe we’ll have the same luck. Can’t wait to be your buddy again!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lizaland) | 14 comments hey guys! when are u starting it?
tomorrow?

Roxanne (roxannej) | 22 comments Lisa wrote: "hey guys! when are u starting it?
tomorrow?"

Yes. 😊 Tried reading a little tonight but too tired. Will start for real tomorrow.

message 10: by The (new) - added it

The (the_little_scholar) | 18 comments Ahh I’m so glad others are reading this, too! I’m planning to begin at the start of August, so perhaps I’ll be a little behind, but I’m very excited! :)

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lizaland) | 14 comments I'm thinking of starting it tomorrow!

message 12: by Celine (new) - added it

Celine  (ceelovesbooks) | 28 comments I can't start it for a week or two. But I would love to

message 13: by Leena (new) - added it

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 530 comments I would love to join in too. can I join in later by August? need to finish off a few others.

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 5149 comments Leena wrote: "I would love to join in too. can I join in later by August? need to finish off a few others."

Feel free to join in when you can, Leena. It looks like there are a couple of others that will be joining later too.

message 15: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa (ihavealwayslovedtoread) | 45 comments I’m just about to start this!!! Ill let you all know how I go!!’💕🕺💕🕺💕🕺

Roxanne (roxannej) | 22 comments Didn't get to start yesterday as I planned but started this morning before starting work. Only had about half an hour but damn. There's no "easing your way" into this story. It punches fast and hard. I knew what to expect. I saw the movie. But Angie Thomas' writing has got me right there and my head is spinning.

On page 67 and it was hard to put the book down. I'll keep reading after work and have a feeling reading this is going to go fast because I might not be able to put it down again until I'm done.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lizaland) | 14 comments I started the book a few hours ago! And I had almost forgotten how heartbreaking this story is!
And the audiobook is amazing!

Roxanne (roxannej) | 22 comments Lisa wrote: "I started the book a few hours ago! And I had almost forgotten how heartbreaking this story is!
And the audiobook is amazing!"

I'm sure the audiobook is amazing!

Roxanne (roxannej) | 22 comments This book just does not let up! It’s so hard hitting in every chapter.

But I had to laugh about Starr and Seven getting in trouble with their parents for going to play ball at the park the morning after the riots. Don’t get me wrong! All of that is serious and horrifying! But the parents are just like MY parents! No joke! I mean right down to their momma standing at the front door in her housecoat so relieved they’re ok but SPITTING MAD at them for scaring her so much and ready to kill them herself, that is SO my mother it’s uncanny!

Roxanne (roxannej) | 22 comments Friends, I couldn't stop reading this. I finished. I wrote a full review that you can read here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The review is long and rambles. You don't need to read it. I'm all up in my feelings about this book. So I'll just repeat the first line I wrote in my review:

If my house was burning and I could only save 3 books of the several hundred I own, The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas would be one of them.

Katey BC (kateybc) | 3 comments I finished this book a couple of weeks ago! I totally agree with Roxanne that the book just doesn't let up, there is something hard/difficult about every chapter! I think the lighter ones are definitely the chapters that were created to show how, no matter how different people are, essentially humanity is the same. Especially parents wanting better for their children, but not always being able to do so given their circumstances. Or, as in the case of Star's dad, being able to reconcile that wish, with being able to be an activist for their neighborhood and community.

message 22: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa (ihavealwayslovedtoread) | 45 comments Am up to chapter 5 and it’s SO good!!! Am loving 🥰 it!!! Can’t wait to keep reading more!!!💕💕💕

message 23: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa (ihavealwayslovedtoread) | 45 comments Almost finished and it’s AWESOME!!! Up to last chapter!!!💕💕💕

Jenni Lindsay | 12 comments I’m starting the audiobook of this today! Excited to read it and discuss when done.

Jenni Lindsay | 12 comments Lisa wrote: "I started the book a few hours ago! And I had almost forgotten how heartbreaking this story is!
And the audiobook is amazing!"

I agree to the audio book being amazing! That is how i am reading it and the narrator is just wonderful. I am about halfway through and this story hit so much. Its heartbreaking and so much emption involved. I would havr never picked it up on my own but so glad i did!!

Jenni Lindsay | 12 comments Just finished this book and wow! I’m excited to discuss this with everyone!

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Glad to hear many of you enjoyed this book. I read it last year for a book club. Loved the fast pace.

Angie Thomas wrote fantasy when she was younger, and it shows in how she portrayed the setting. It's based on today's American reality, but she also uses the fantasy writer's technique of building a complete world for her story.

message 28: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa (ihavealwayslovedtoread) | 45 comments Jenni wrote: "Just finished this book and wow! I’m excited to discuss this with everyone!"

Oh my goodness! You're kicking my butt! I was supposed to finish it in the weekend but still up the last page! Hopefully I'll finish it tonight!

message 29: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa (ihavealwayslovedtoread) | 45 comments Well, I finished it!!! It was AWESOME!!! Took me a little longer than what I thought but was worth it!!! It ended just how I had hoped and loved it!!! I’m so glad I did this!!! I give this 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟!!!💕💕💕

Roxanne (roxannej) | 22 comments Rouge wrote: "Glad to hear many of you enjoyed this book. I read it last year for a book club. Loved the fast pace.

Angie Thomas wrote fantasy when she was younger, and it shows in how she portrayed the settin..."

I didn't know that she wrote fantasy but yeah, I see that now. She built the scenes and settings so well you could definitely imagine each place, each character and each event quite clearly.

Geez, imagine if Angie Thomas and Brandon Sanderson collaborated on something! 🤯

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 10 comments I finished listening to the audiobook of this on July 12th. The audiobook is wonderful. I really enjoyed this. I remember hearing that the author wrote this in high school (!!) If that's true, she is a great talent!

The story is not only engaging, but thrilling. There is great sense of authenticity not only in the story, but in the characters.

message 32: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa (ihavealwayslovedtoread) | 45 comments I’m about half way through! I’m really enjoying it! Can’t wait to finish!!!🕺💃🕺💃🕺💃

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Such a good book! I picked it up every chance I got.

message 34: by Nadia (new) - added it

Nadia Benhamed | 4 comments hope it’s not to late to join !

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hate U Give (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Angie Thomas (other topics)