Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Bonnie's is the month half over June Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 455 comments 1. We Must be Brave- 3 stars. OK novel but not as historical (WW-2) as expected, more relationship oriented.
2. Every Last Cuckoo - 2 stars. Probably wouldn't have finished if it wasn't with a bookclub. Kind of about aging and widowhood.
3. The Red Lotus - also 3 stars and this one by one of my favorite authors. Kind of a thriller, mystery and a little virus stuff thrown in. Not as character driven as his older books, seemed more something to do on TV.
4. The Things that Keep us Here- really good IMO, 4 star Pandemic novel. I was surprised how much it reminded me of our current situation since it was written years ago.
5. Year of Wonders (a Plague/Quarantine 5 star read for me. ) Based on a true village that quarantined itself in the 1600s in England.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14726 comments Interesting month Bonnie, and yes - how is the month half over already?!
I am interested in pandemic related books, but not sure a contemporary one would be as enjoyable as a historical one would. Year of WondersYear of Wonders looks good. You have been seeking pandemic books out jt seems (also Hollow Kingdom, which I recently finished)

message 3: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 455 comments Ann wrote: "Interesting month Bonnie, and yes - how is the month half over already?!
I am interested in pandemic related books, but not sure a contemporary one would be as enjoyable as a historical one would. ..."

I have both books and movies. Not sure why I am enjoying them so much now, seems like I'd want to escape from it all.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3637 comments Picked up Year of Wonders on eBay. Looks good!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14726 comments Bonnie: In general I get the urge to read now about pandemics or similar dystopian fiction.... and wondering why ( "why not try to escape it all,") I think I am looking for some hope or strategy or just a reassurance that this isn't the only time.
Which related movies have you been watching?

Bonnie wrote: "I have both books and movies. Not sure why I am enjoying them so much now, seems like I'd want to escape from it all."

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 455 comments Contagion, Outbreak, Pandemic, 10 ? Monkeys come to mind right now. I have also been reading non virus dystopian stuff (caused by weather, wars etc.)

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14726 comments Bonnie: I like all of those much better in fiction!!
Bonnie wrote: "Contagion, Outbreak, Pandemic, 10 ? Monkeys come to mind right now. I have also been reading non virus dystopian stuff (caused by weather, wars etc.)"