Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

423 views
Bulletin Board > Reviews that cost the author

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Beers | 21 comments I got an email from "Jim" wanting to offer me access to "lots of reviews" only serious authors need to respond. When I answered that paying for reviews was not something I do, I got this reply:

You can read all the details here:
https://easybooktours.wordpress.com/b...

SPECIAL NOTE: This is NOT a paid review service. You are not paying us for "reviews". We merely “put your book in front of our reviewers and book bloggers”, so to speak.

(If you follow the link, you will see "packages" you have to pay for, and it isn't milk money. This is a scan and nothing else.)

An honest review comes from a reader who chose to read your book. You did not pay them or their group for doing do. Any other review, if this offends look inward and ask why, is not honest and not worth the money.


message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Beers | 21 comments My comment is the last paragraph.


message 3: by Emma (new)

Emma Jaye | 151 comments I giggled a bit when I looked at their mailing list stats. just over 3,000 on it.
https://easybooktours.files.wordpress...

Yep a huge engaged audience for your books folks.


message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1084 comments For whatever reason, the vast majority of avid readers choose to never post a rating or review. Those that do are merely expressing their personal, and therefore subjective, opinion. One reader's Best book ever! might very well be another reader's Worst book ever! which is why most astute readers do not allow a rating or review to influence their purchasing choices one way or the other.

Novice authors would be better served by focusing upon striving to continuously improve upon their writing skills and promotion and marketing knowledge and skill set than obsessing over reviews.

Every legitimate literary course stresses the fact that sales drive reviews, not the other way around. That said; if one chooses to seek and solicit reviews, one should never pay or offer any other type of recompense in exchange for them.


message 5: by Tony (new)

Tony Brunal | 121 comments Robert,

I have struggled with that aspect of being an author. As a self-published author, I would hope people would leave a review (good or bad), just to know if your writing is hitting it's audience, but I don't take it to heart. I just keep writing.

Thank you for your honest words.

Tony


message 6: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 209 comments I say: stop obssessing about reviews and concentrate on your writing. Reviews will eventually come with time, as the word of mouth spreads concerning your book(s), but you have to show patience. Going around and asking for reviews is self-defeating, as you will only succeed in irritating the readers against you. Offering something against a review is an even bigger mystake. I know: I am a self-published author and it has taken me over eight years to accumulate a reasonable amount of reviews, all by simply waiting and letting readers choose whether to leave a review or not.


message 7: by Ross (last edited Jul 19, 2020 10:06AM) (new)

Ross Eberle | 42 comments Michel wrote: "I say: stop obssessing about reviews and concentrate on your writing. Reviews will eventually come with time, as the word of mouth spreads concerning your book(s), but you have to show patience. Go..."

Umm...Hi there.

You say reviews will eventually come with time, but what if you're a totally-unknown author, like me? One who chose to self-publish? One who has little to no friends to speak of? I've spent the majority of my time writing, copyrighting, publishing, and re-writing my works or portions thereof. And yet, as of this date, I've only received around 10-15 honest reviews from others. And the only reason those came is because I spent hours upon hours reaching out to readers and even other authors, telling them about my books, getting to know them, and even their works.

Now tell me, how long do I have to wait for more of those reviews to come around? I've already had my books out since 2014-ish. Is it normal to have to wait a decade or more to 'become popular'?


message 8: by Jim (last edited Jul 19, 2020 01:29PM) (new)

Jim Vuksic | 1084 comments Ross wrote: "Michel wrote: "I say: stop obssessing about reviews and concentrate on your writing. Reviews will eventually come with time, as the word of mouth spreads concerning your book(s), but you have to sh..."

Ross,

All legitimate literary classes, books, and periodicals stress the fact that sales drive reviews, not the other way around. Note that a commercially successful writer is referred to as a 'Best Selling Author', not 'Most Reviewed Author'.

Unfortunately, very few novice writers ever achieve commercial success within this extremely competitive field. However, some have. Who knows? You could very well eventually beat those odds, but you will never know unless you continue to give it your best and keep trying. I wish you success.

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."
Winston Churchill


message 9: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 209 comments Ross wrote: "Michel wrote: "I say: stop obssessing about reviews and concentrate on your writing. Reviews will eventually come with time, as the word of mouth spreads concerning your book(s), but you have to sh..."

Ross, I am myself a self-published author and I don't claim to be a well-known author either, while I never spent a dime on promotion work. In fact, except for placing a few announcements on Goodreads when I published a new book online, I don't actively advertise my books. What I do is that I participate in the various discussion threads on Goodreads, giving my straight opinions on various subjects without advertising my books. Yet, after some eight years of putting books online, I now have close to 300 ratings and 88 reviews on Goodreads, while I am quite popular on Free-Ebooks.net, a publishing site for authors of free ebooks. I write strictly for the pleasure of it and am plenty satisfied with my present status. In truth, most of the authors who write books with the idea to make a living out of their sales end up being bitterly disappointed, as book sales is a truly cut-throat business. You may find that honestly participating in the various forums on Goodreads, without constantly pushing your books, may well attract some good attention on you and your books. If you bring some good ideas and discussions to those forums, then readers will tend to check out your profile, where they would be able to see what kind of books you wrote.


message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica O'Toole (jayotee) | 18 comments Ross wrote: "Michel wrote: "I say: stop obssessing about reviews and concentrate on your writing. Reviews will eventually come with time, as the word of mouth spreads concerning your book(s), but you have to sh..."

Agreeing with the above commentors I will add you are not entitled to readers, reviews, or any other remittance regarding your books.

You chose to be an indie author. This site, as many others, are full of helpful giving giving you FREE advice how to improve your game, your marketing and your work.

If you believe you deserve to be 'popular' purely because you self-publish you have chosen the wrong direction at that crossroads.

Are those reviews you have good or bad reviews? From strangers or family/friends? Have you taken on board criticisms? Do you do anything in the community of indies to connect with others? Are you merely asking others to do things for you and doing nothing else for other indie writers (like reviewing their books who have few reviews left?).

By this point you should know it's hard it can be to balance life with everything else that producing and publishing your own work brings. It is exactly the same for readers and writers. Why is their time so unimportant in comparison to your popularity?

I would advise you comprehend the huge distinction between those who self-pub and those who have massive houses behind them, because they are not the same thing. Be content you may NEVER become popular, EVER. Once you understand that you might just be able to disconnect from the illusion that with a hundred reviews you'll be a millionaire.

I hope you find success that suits you eventually.


message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Beers | 21 comments Nicely stated James.


message 12: by Tilly (last edited Jul 19, 2020 01:55PM) (new)

Tilly Wallace (tillywallace) | 84 comments Ross wrote: "You say reviews will eventually come with time, but what if you're a totally-unknown author, like me?"

We all start from a zero position. I began as a totally unknown author too, and I still have only a tiny handful of readers. What I did was write 3 books in a series before I even worried about sales - and note I said sales. I never once worried about reviews. I concentrate on selling books and natural reviews start appearing. I've only been at this for a couple of years, but income is steadily climbing each month, and I'm now at a position to be able to afford to add audio to my catalogue.

I would respectfully suggest that if you have been publishing for a decade and still aren't selling enough to see natural reviews, then perhaps it's time to sit down and figure out why?


message 13: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Taylor (christophertaylor) | 76 comments Don't EVER pay for reviews. E V E R. That is a scam.


message 14: by Laura (last edited Jul 21, 2020 04:38AM) (new)

Laura | 64 comments Hi everyone,

I've just joined this thread and can see (I hope) every point of view given. I started writing because I thought I had something to say, and it's been a very satisfying, sometimes frustrating, couple of years; the writing part, that is. I thought, naively, that I'd get an agent, publisher etc, but several rejections and a steep learning curve of how this business works later I self-published my first book this May. And it almost instantly became about people reading what I'd written, rather than making money (although I have just made £0.79 on the Kindle Owners Lending Library; Wow!). About 20 people (+/-) have read my book so far, courtesy of Free Giveaway days, and more strangers than friends/family, which is encouraging. I've got a few reviews, which I do feel help when someone checks out the book. So, who knows? I may get some more readers, maybe not, but I'll continue to write whatever happens because ultimately it's what I enjoy doing, and even having a rather small audience is satisfying. Never give up.


message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Good for you! Follow your passion, and keep on writing. Best.


message 16: by Michel (new)

Michel Poulin | 209 comments Laura wrote: "Hi everyone,

I've just joined this thread and can see (I hope) every point of view given. I started writing because I thought I had something to say, and it's been a very satisfying, sometimes fru..."


Keep writing, Laura. I like your mindset.


message 17: by Kana (new)

Kana Wu (kanawu) | 70 comments Hi everyone!
I understand the frustration feeling of not receiving tons of reviews. I've had the same issues and felt frustrated too. My book was published in Oct 2019 by a small press and only gets a few reviews. The small press shared the info about my book through their channels and that's about it. I've done all the marketing on social media. It isn't easy, and many times I've cried since all marketing cost me a lot of money.
But nothing I could do. It is what it is. Again, I should look at these painful experiences in a new light as something to learn from and take pride in that I could publish a book. Many people have a dream about writing their books, and stop right there. At least, I did something and have taken many steps ahead of them. :)
So, whether the readers would leave reviews, that's up to them. Just keep writing and keep your chin up. Don't worry, we would survive!

Be blessed, Kana


message 18: by Tony (new)

Tony Brunal | 121 comments Kana,

I second you words. Just publishing my first book was enough a success for me after waiting 25 years to do it. When the first copy was purchased, that was the moment I treasured.


Thank you,

Tony Brunal


message 19: by Kana (new)

Kana Wu (kanawu) | 70 comments Thanks, Tony.
That what I felt when someone purchased my book and wrote a review without me asking it.

Somehow, someday, we could be successful authors.

Be blessed,
Kana


back to top