Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
This topic is about Bringing Down the Duke
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Since it's on sale (I think it still might be, at least in Germany and the US) and has a lot of great reviews, I thought I'd give this one a try :)

Alex Spooner | 22 comments I'd love to join you with this one at some point in the next couple of weeks. It's been on my TBR for ages.

message 3: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Oh yay! I haven't heard back from the other person who wanted to join, so...
I can pretty much start this one anytime. When would be best for you?

Alex Spooner | 22 comments I currently have 4 books on the go which is a bit too much for me so I probably won't start this until the weekend or next week, once I've caught up a bit. I need to stop doing this to myself haha.

message 5: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments :D we all do. I know the problem.

Ok, then let's say next week, and if you finish your other books earlier than expected, just let me know :)

Mariana | 2268 comments I can start next week too! That works perfectly for me.

Missy | 1104 comments I might join too.

message 8: by Andrea (last edited Jul 24, 2020 05:56AM) (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Oh yay!!! People!!! :D

Then let's say Monday next week (the 27th). Do we want to do like three chapters a day or do you have other preferences for buddy reads?

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments Would you mind if I joined, I have never done a buddy read. Only 1 group read in the mystery group and it was not too active.

message 10: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Not at all. The more the merrier!!!! :D Just comment whenever you feel like it. This is the fun part of buddy reads, that you see a book from many different perspectives, even if you don't get involved in every single comment :)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 24 comments *peeks in* Hey, everyoneーI’ve not been around much since Feb/March. Still not back on regular basis but saw thread & wanted to post in case I catch comments once read starts. Already read this so interested in others’ thoughts.

Hope everyone is faring well, despite current events. :)

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments Excited to start on the 28th. I bought the book today and it was on sale.

message 13: by Mariana (last edited Jul 21, 2020 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mariana | 2268 comments I am good with starting on the 28th. There are 33 chapters, so I would prefer to read 4 - 5 chapters a day if it's entertaining. Is that too much?

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments I am game for anything. I have a LOT of time on my hands. Just lmk what is decided.

message 15: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Mariana wrote: "I am good with starting on the 28th. There are 33 chapters, so I would prefer to read 4 - 5 chapters a day if it's entertaining. Is that too much?"

My Kindle edition says chapters 1-4 are 34 pages, so that should be ok, for me at least

Lacey | 267 comments I hope you enjoy it everyone! I really loved this one :))

Mariana | 2268 comments Lacey wrote: "I hope you enjoy it everyone! I really loved this one :))"

Thanks! Good to know you enjoyed it. I am looking forward to starting.

message 18: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Hey guys, quick question, I mixed up the dates :D Do we start Monday (27th) or Tuesday (28th)? SORRY!!! :D

Mariana | 2268 comments I think that was my fault. We are planning to start Monday, the 27th, right?

Amy  Malory  (vivienne90) | 79 comments Have fun everyone!I read it a while ago.I am having some mixted feelings though regarding it.Would love to hear how do you all enjoy it!

message 21: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Mariana wrote: "I think that was my fault. We are planning to start Monday, the 27th, right?"

:D Monday it is

message 22: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 428 comments I've read some disparaging reviews made me hesitant to pick it up.

message 23: by Leena (new)

Leena Aluru (mgleena) | 428 comments im curious too on your views

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments I have a read a lot of free books that were worth what I paid for it lol. So this one was on sale and I am looking forward to it. At worst I will be out some time and a couple of dollars. So Monday it is.

message 25: by Andrea (last edited Jul 27, 2020 12:12PM) (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Monday is here! :D Well, at least over here in Germany.

As always, please remember to mark spoilers so we don't accidentally ruin the book for someone who isn't as far as you are :)

HAPPY READING!!!!!

edit: maybe I should've led with that. If you don't know how to mark spoilers, on the computer version there's a "(some html is ok)" link on the right over the comment box where it's explained. You can also find it here: https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

message 26: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments So, being several hours ahead of all of you (I'm in Germany), I have already finished my five chapters :D

Spoilers ahead, and yes, I'm nitpicky as hell, so there will be a wee bit of ranting ;)

(view spoiler)

message 27: by Merry Jewelhound (last edited Jul 27, 2020 10:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments I just finished reading Andrea's post. I can definitely see your points. But I do like a heroine that has a lot of spunk. I don't know how to hide spoiler so hard to say more.

message 28: by Andrea (last edited Jul 27, 2020 12:06PM) (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments I don't know if this works on the app or mobile version as well, but if you click on "(some html is ok)" on the upper right corner of the comment box, it tells you how to. Or go there: https://help.goodreads.com/s/article/...

If I try to type it, it always results in a spoiler tag :D:D:D

message 29: by Andrea (last edited Jul 27, 2020 12:10PM) (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Merry Jewelhound wrote: "I just finished reading Andrea's post. I can definitely see your points. But I do like a heroine that has a lot of spunk. I don't know how to hide spoiler so hard to say more."

My problem is always there's spunk, and there's annoying. And I am easily annoyed :D But I read she gets better, so. There's hope for me! :D
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Also, out of curiosity, how do you feel about the way Queen Victoria is portrayed? I've read some reviews where people complained about it, so I'm curious.
Me, I know she was a strange mix of contradictions, and I actually knew about how she felt about women's suffrage, so that part is actually true. Even if confusing to us, seeing as she was a female ruler, so her being against women having, you know, rights may seem a bit odd.
Which is another thing I've noticed, there seems to have been A LOT of research on the author's part into the era, which I like. In my experience, there seem to be more historical romances set in the Regency era, so it's a nice change for me....

message 31: by Merry Jewelhound (last edited Jul 27, 2020 02:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments I saw something on PBS about Queen Victoria. She did not seem at all like she is portrayed on the series Victoria. But then I think royalty of the time felt they they were put there by Devine intervention and they were exempted from what others had to follow. (view spoiler)

message 32: by Mariana (last edited Jul 27, 2020 10:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mariana | 2268 comments Whew! I just finished my five chapters 10 minutes before midnight.

(view spoiler)

Queen Victoria: (view spoiler)

One quote that seemed odd to me:
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments I agree with both of you, this (view spoiler)

And YES, we need more real info on both of them soon, I agree with Mariana, we don't really know them despite so many chapters...

Also, re the brothers, yes, that was weird. As you said, the parents are long gone (we assume?), and he's relatively young, so. Weird ^^

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments (view spoiler)

message 35: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex Spooner | 22 comments I'm up to chapter 9 now and I have to agree that it feels rather disjointed. I thought it might be just because I've been reading it here and there whilst travelling but it seems I am not alone. I feel as though we really don't know anything about Annabelle (actually had to check that was her name that's how little I really am invested in her). Really could do with some proper back story not just hints here and there that don't really add up. (view spoiler)
I do like the suffragette aspect of the book but I fear it's not going to be done well. I am trying not to judge too soon but I think I might have gotten my hopes up a bit too much for this one.
Also was a bit thrown off by mention of the queen. Suppose it does make sense with the political aspect of the story but her involvement does make the story seem a bit unbelievable.
Also does it bother anyone else that Annabelle is supposedly a very smart and well educated woman but doesn't know who the leading members of parliament are? (view spoiler)
I'm hoping for some more character development, back story and less time jumping in the coming chapters. Really hoping there's not going to be any insta love...

message 36: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Yep, I agree. I read a review that said this book "contains feminists, but isn't", which so far I'm inclined to believe from what I've seen so far. It feels like the suffragettes were a convenient plot device to throw a commoner into a duke's way. And I agree, if she is invested enough to have applied for a scholarship from them (which no way she just got because they heard about her in the middle of nowhere), she should be better prepared for their cause, especially since she knew it was a condition of her keeping that scholarship. I feel like a lot of it was good ideas but no one telling the author to develop those.
And yes. It does feel rather strange that Vicky would get involved in his plan to get his property back and all...

message 37: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments I finished chapter 7 and...

speaking of "sensible" (view spoiler)

Mariana | 2268 comments I have to say that I did enjoy the second set of five chapters more than the first, or at least they were easier to read, less jumping around. I can still put the book down.

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Ah yes. The dreaded (view spoiler)

Also (spoilers including chapter 10)

(view spoiler)

I don't get the hype, to be honest... It's not bad, but it could've easily been better, I feel?

Mariana | 2268 comments I think her "good account" may be more what she heard than direct experience?

message 41: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments But as someone who values facts and claims to be logical, shouldn't she know better than to trust rumors? I mean...
I know, here I am, bringing logic to romance novels :D

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments I am starting to enjoy the book more. I usually find the set up of the story in the first few chapters a bit tedious as they are laying out the story. This one has little back story given so not the norm. There is sexual tension.

message 43: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Yay! We do get a bit of backstory in chapter 11, but:

(view spoiler)

Also, we have a reason for the man-hating! (view spoiler)

I'm still confused about her family, though. Can someone explain? (view spoiler) I'm really really confused.

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments Brother (view spoiler)

message 45: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Merry Jewelhound wrote: "Brother [spoilers removed]"

Sure, but. I don't get it. It felt really weird to me. But I don't have siblings, so. It just felt really cold and high-handed and everything to me. I don't understand it.

I still don't feel connected enough to the characters to get them.

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments I do agree with you. It wasn't like his behavior is egregious. He hasn't killed anyone and was just at college partying.

message 47: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments right? Seems a but excessive. We haven't heard about little bro hosting orgies or anything. He parties and wastes money, like most teenagers ^^

message 48: by Alex (new) - rated it 2 stars

Alex Spooner | 22 comments It seems to me as though none of these characters have motives that really make sense. Nothing is really adding up for me.
Also I think the issue with readability in this book might lie with the timeline. There's a lot of jumping around and it's hard to keep track of when things are happening. (view spoiler)
Insta love/lust: (view spoiler)
Another part where her back story doesn't add up with current events is with the horse. (view spoiler)

I really want to like this book but I feel like the editors have really done it a disservice... with their lack of editing.

I definitely agree with that review that this contains feminists but isn't.

Merry Jewelhound (jewelhound) | 522 comments I am definitely seeing that class is still very strongly defined. (view spoiler)

message 50: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 635 comments Alex wrote: "It seems to me as though none of these characters have motives that really make sense. Nothing is really adding up for me.
Also I think the issue with readability in this book might lie with the t..."

Definitely! A good editor could've worked wonders here.

re the horse incident: maybe she just doesn't know how to ride side-saddle since she grew up in the country and that's her problem? I was waiting for that, but you're right, a lot of it just doesn't make sense.

« previous 1