The Royal Masquerade discussion

Town of Alnerwick > Oakheart Bar - peasants and rebels

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hayden (last edited Jul 21, 2020 04:32PM) (new)

Hayden (the_dinohead) | 1016 comments Mod
The bar because no fantasy town is complete without a bar

message 2: by Hayden (new)

A person in a hood entered the bar and sat down.

"Lovely afternoon, isn't it?" asked the bartender. The girl took off her hood and placed four coins in the bartender's hand.

"Yes, but a sudden chill has shook me to the bone. I'll have a ruby tea, please."

"Yes, ma'am." the bartender took one of the coins and pushed the other three back to the girl.

message 3: by Hayden (new)

The bartender handed her a teacup filled with a steaming scarlet drink. But that wasn't what she came here for. Placed in between the saucer and cup was at first glance just a simple napkin, but on closer inspection was a folded letter. On it, the royal crest of Meldina.

The girl tucked the piece of parchment into her leather vest. She took a sip of the tea, turned the cup counter clockwise, and left a small seashell to the right of the cup. She nodded at the bartender, who started whistling and looked away. She pulled her sea green hood over her face and walked out into the bustling crowds of the village square.

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments Elsie looked around and entered the bar, twirling her hair in her fingers. She had the day off to explore everywhere and she had nowhere else to go.
"Lovely morning, isn't it?" The bartender greeted her and she smiled looking at the menu. 'Ruby tea, huh?' She scanned the menu, liking its name.
"I'll have a ruby tea, please." She said cheerily and saw the bartender's face change ever so slightly.
I wonder why? She thought curiously.

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments ((ooooh, I like what you did there lol))

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments Alvina huffily stormed into the bar, then walked over to Elsie after noticing her. She wasn't whether she was interrupting a conversation, so she stayed quiet.

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments ((Sorry I took so long, I got distracted watching a video))

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments (I need time to reply. Parent alert)

message 9: by Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (last edited Jul 30, 2020 08:16PM) (new)

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments ((It's cool, I get it. I'll be waiting))

message 10: by Hayden (last edited Jul 30, 2020 08:29PM) (new)

The bartender paused in horror, but regained his composure.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but what is ruby tea?" He scanned the menu, looking for any mistake that the lady had pointed out. He secretly sighed when he saw that there was no mistake. He turned back around.

"We have herbal teas, sweet teas, an assortment of fruit juices, and of course, alcohol. But you have to be over 18 to order that, miss." He explained to Elsie, scanning the girl for any signs she might have just been a new recruit. He broke his analysis and greeted the other girl who entered. He also didn't recognize her.
"Good day, miss. What can I get you?"

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments "Whatever she's getting, I don't care." She waved her hand dismissively.

"And for Aranel's sake, Is it winter in here? Seriously, I'm freezing." Al muttered spitefully and sat down at an empty table.

message 13: by Hayden (new)

“So tea miss?” The bartender offered, still getting over his small panic

message 14: by Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (last edited Jul 30, 2020 08:36PM) (new)

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments "Yeah whatever." She rolled her eyes. "Elsie, sit down this instant." She grabbed the handmaiden's wrist and pulled her into a chair across from her's.

message 15: by Hayden (new)

The bartender scurried off to make their drinks.

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments ((I'm just gonna wait for Rose to hopefully get back and respond))

message 17: by Hayden (new)

((ok that makes sense))

message 18: by rose - 忻怡 - (last edited Jul 30, 2020 09:03PM) (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments "Wha..." Elsie looked from Alvina to the bartender. "Okay, I guess." She said, her mind still spinning at high speed. She could have sworn that she HAD indeed seen the words 'ruby tea', but they were only there for an instant. Was that magic? Was that a warning or a signal? From a friend or a foe? She wasn't quite sure. Elf magic was definitely not erasable and that was certainly the handiwork of a witch. Gotta ask America later She mused.

message 19: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments (Whew! Finally they left me alone)

message 20: by Hayden (new)

((that's good))

message 21: by rose - 忻怡 - (last edited Jul 30, 2020 09:00PM) (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments Rose wrote: "Elsie spotted her and waved. Then, noticing her friend's expression, she frowned. "What's the matter?""

((Wait, I kinda want to edit the comment a bit...))

message 23: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments ((Done!))

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments "Do you know where he went!?" She asked hurriedly, not caring to explain the first time around.

message 25: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments "He? You mean...Kolvar?" Elsie asked and then mentally slapped herself. Of course she meant Kolvar! "Umm, I could help you track him..." She said as she took out several leaves. She hummed a spell and sang in her clear voice. Wind rustled through the bar as Elsie snapped her eyes open.
"Lover's cave. And his emotions are really intense." She said.

message 26: by Hayden (new)

“Two floral teas. They’re made out of rose. It’s the closest thing to a ruby color that we have.” The bartender placed the two cups in front of the girls.

((Also: Ruby tea is just a password, like ruby loaf. The jewel of Meldina is a ruby, and so everything else is fitted to match the establishment))

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments "Yeah, thanks." She muttered and put her payment on the table.

"What do you mean by intense? That doesn't help! Is he in trouble, do you know why the HEl-, HECK, he ditched me, or why he won't let me fricken help him!?"

message 28: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments ((Ok lol I just wanted Elsie to sort of accidentally catch a glimpse of the rebels...))
Elsie sipped on the hot tea, sighing satisfactorily. "Do you have anything to eat? Any recommendations?" She asked the bartender.

message 29: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments She turned to Alivina once more and grabbed her arm. "I mean, he's in some sort of emotional turmoil. Don't you know he's head over heels over Athena? He probably needs some time alone ." Elsie comforted her.

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments Alvina rolled her eyes and took a sip of her tea, cringing at it's taste, but taking another sip nonetheless.

message 31: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments Elsie stared at her. "So...you're not looking for him now, I guess? Cuz I've been wanting to explore the woods for so long and...okay, do you wanna come with me?" Her eyes lit up in excitement.

message 32: by Hayden (new)

((oh ok that makes sense))

"Not really. We have biscuits and soup and a few sandwiches. There's chicken soup, carrot soup, and beef stew and sandwiches like turkey, cheese, and pork." the bartender explained.

"Athena? As in, our Princess Athena? You know her? Tell me, is she as lovely as they say?" the bartender asked, overhearing Elsie. He coughed and cleared his throat. "I'm sorry. None of us common folk have seen the princess since she was a little one. Their Majesties keep her locked away. Even as a little one, she was always so kind to us villagers. I hope she hasn't changed like her parents did, but it's not my place to say." he said, busying himself with cleaning some cups.

message 33: by Hayden (new)

((imagine my computer was better with my notifications and I posted my comment earlier))

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments "Yeah she's great." Alvina muttered, even though she did believe her words.

message 35: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments Elsie cringed at the food he named and sipped her tea. "Athena? She's cordial to us, and by us I mean Princess America and me. She's kinda sweet and nice and really beautiful but...I feel like she's hiding a lot of things. I know she's stressed out about being a queen and I could sense a lot of tension near her but she doesn't show her feelings often. How's life here? I have a feeling that she's damn worried about you all." Elsie said.

message 36: by Hayden (new)

The bartender chuckled at Elsie's reaction.

"Yup, we're not famous for our food here, ma'am. That's food for the drunk ones. If you want good food, the bakery across the street makes the most delicious pastries and baked goods. I think they're closed right now since they're on a delivery but they'll be back soon enough." He froze.

"Did you say you were," he leaned in a whispered, "royalty?" He moved back, appalled. "Our Princess Athena is the only one of your kind who have shown us kindness. Other kingdoms come here, either for war or to seduce the royals into giving them something, and they leave the kingdom worse for wear. I won't say anything about our highnesses in your presence, in case you just came to cuddle up with the majesties, but I will tell you this: Athena is the one true Queen. She has already passed laws that have made our kingdom greater and from what I've heard from the folks who have visited the castle where they lock her up, she is as kind as she was six years ago." He told them angrily, the mention of royalty offending him. He didn't dare say anything bad about anybody in case they would rat him out, but he didn't want to coddle them.

"Please, finish up. You don't need to pay, it's on the house for you. But I don't want any trouble here, if you don't mind me saying." the bartender huffed, calming himself and trying to be polite.

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments "Of course." Alvina stared at the bartender curiously, then went back to sipping her tea.

message 38: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments "Hey, chill!" Elsie said alarmed. "I'm not royalty, okay? I'm just a servant, for goodness sake! And America is not like the others! She hates the discriminations, the biases and she absolutely loves her people!!! How could you..." Elsie shouted, thinking of America's desperation. She had been struggling for years but people just keep piling expectations on her. Elsie's heart broke for America's troubles. She hated seeing America stressed out and being said by the people to side with the royals in discriminating males. Tears streamed down her face as she heard the bartender talking about America like she was nothing.

message 39: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments ((Sorry...she's kinda protective and emotional when it comes to America...))

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments ((Same with Alvina lol))

message 41: by Hayden (last edited Jul 30, 2020 09:55PM) (new)

The bartender sighed and shook his head.

"So much chaos follows a princess. I ain't saying this out of disrespect I'm saying this out of grief and experience." he shrugged, "Now quit your crying and shouting, this is still a respectable establishment," he mumbled, throwing the rag he was using to clean the glasses over his shoulder and going to help some more costumers. Among them was a towering girl with flaming auburn hair and strange orange tattoos on her arms. On closer inspection, the girl's arms were, in fact, shiny and orange, and the tattoos were actually tiny scales.

"Florence, welcome back! Unfortunately, we're out of your usual drink today," the bartender glanced at Elsie and Alvina. The girl, Florence, looked at them, deadpanned.

"It's fine, Sam. I'll have a turkey sandwich and an iced ginger tea. It's really hot outside." Florence replied. As Sam the bartender left to go make her order, Florence eyed the girls, especially the one that was crying.

message 42: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments Elsie saw her staring and wiped her tears quickly. Because she was in a bad mood, she glared at her defiantly. "What?"

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments ((Darn it! I keep posting to late XD))

message 44: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments ((What??))

message 45: by Hayden (new)

((same lol))

"No need to cry over spilled tea, especially when it's not even spilled, girl." Florence scoffed, smirking at her joke.

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments "What's that supposed to mean!?" She asked defensively, tensing slightly.

message 47: by rose - 忻怡 - (new)

rose - 忻怡 - (_imperfection) | 17 comments "You don't even understand! So just shut up." Elsie growled.

message 48: by Hayden (new)

"It means, quit your blubbering. There's no reason for you to make a scene here and annoy the other guests. Thank you, Sam." Florence said as the bartender placed a delicious looking sandwich in front of her and a nice glass of sparkling tea.

message 49: by Hayden (new)

"Wow, I thought you were ladies," Florence snorted. She turned to them, standing up to her full height and towering over the girls.

"Those are some big words for a little one, don't you think? I thought your mamas taught you not to disrespect royalty."

Abby {On Hiatus For A Few Weeks Or Months} (yourclassicintrovertbooknerd) | 1218 comments "I don't see any royalty," She stood up. "Just some girl who seems on edge and suspicious." She scoffed and rolled her eyes.

« previous 1