Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2020 Classic Bingo Challenge > Shaina's Mid Year Bingo Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 146 (146 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Shaina (last edited Dec 22, 2020 04:13AM) (new)

Shaina | 555 comments I think I am the last to add my challenge however I joined this group so I could start reading beyond the usual stuff I read so it is only fair I join the challenge and read as much as I can in these 6 months (better late than never). I have tried to add as many books as I could from my TBR. This is my first Bingo challenge so please forgive any mistakes in the list.

So here goes my list. Recommendations are welcome.

Edited List:

B1: Classic of Asia - Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri
B2: Classic Tragedy - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
B3: A Book Published at Least 200 Years Ago - Frankenstein: The 1818 Text by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
B4: Memoir, Autobiography, or Biography - The Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
B5: Classic of Europe - The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

I1: Classic Mystery or Crime - Strong Poison by Dorothy L. Sayers
I2: Group Bingo Participant Pick - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - Recommended by Lynn
I3: Classic Drama or Play - An Ideal Husband by Oscar Wilde
I4: Book From Group’s 2020 Bookshelf - Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
I5: Classic Gothic or Horror - Dracula by Bram Stoker

N1: Book From Group’s Old School Classic Shelf prior to 2020 - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
N2: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize - The Color Purple by Alice Walker
N3: Reader’s Choice - Animal Farm by George Orwell
N4: Classic Short Story - The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
N5: Book From Group’s New School Classic Shelf prior to 2020 - A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

G1: Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
G2: The Bigger Read List by English Pen - Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
G3: Poetry or Essay Collection - Selfish, Shallow, and Self-Absorbed: Sixteen Writers on The Decision Not To Have Kids by Meghan Daum
G4: Banned Book - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
G5: Classic Science or Philosophy - The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

O1: Classic of Africa, Antarctica, Australia, or Oceania - Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
O2: Classic Western - Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
O3: Book Published the Year You Were Born - Anthills of the Savannah by Chinua Achebe
O4: Classic Adventure - Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne
O5: Classic of the Americas - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

message 2: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2661 comments If you're the last to join the challenge, it's not by much! I just joined last month ;)
You have a wonderful list and a lot of good reading to look forward to! Enjoy :)

message 3: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Thank you Terris. I hope I finish atleast half of it. Good luck to you too! I will soon take a peek at your list as well.

message 4: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments 2 Squares Completed
N4: A Short Story Classic - The Yellow Wallpaper
G5: Classic Science or Philosophy - The Little Prince

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9592 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge. And congrats on getting two squares right off the bat.

message 6: by Cynda (last edited Jul 18, 2020 01:04PM) (new)

Cynda | 3157 comments Shaina, you have some good selections here. A few Persépolis movie scenes are posted on YouTube. One made me laugh out loud. Enjoy your reading :)

message 7: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Thank you Katy... So many books so little time..

message 8: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Thanks Cynda..I will sure look them up... I love watching an adaptation after reading ..be it on a radio show or a video

message 9: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Good luck on your challenge, Shaina!

message 10: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Good luck on your challenge, Shaina!"

Thank you!

message 11: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Another square completed. G1: Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy - Alice's Adventure in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

Curiouser and Curiouser....

I changed my mind about sci-fi yesterday and chose fantasy. I loved the book. I loved the Mock Turtle and his reasoning and so many things about this book had me laughing.

I'm glad the book got published and didn't remain as a forgotten gift in someones attic.

message 12: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4974 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge, enjoy.

message 13: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Thank you Bob...I'm happy to say I am definitely enjoying it

message 14: by Shaina (last edited Jul 22, 2020 01:13PM) (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Another square done! B4: Memoir, Autobiography, or Biography - The Complete Persepolis. I loved her humor and her way of expressing things.

message 15: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments I would also appreciate a few recommendations for B1: Classic Crime or Mystery as I don't feel Endless Night fits that square and would like a better book.

message 16: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2661 comments Shaina wrote: "Another square done! B4: Memoir, Autobiography, or Biography - The Complete Persepolis. I loved her humor and her way of expressing things."

Congratulations, Shaina, on another book read! :)

message 17: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3358 comments Mod
Shaina wrote: "I would also appreciate a few recommendations for B1: Classic Crime or Mystery as I don't feel Endless Night fits that square and would like a better book."

We have several Sherlock Holmes mysteries on the shelf. I enjoy those. Another book from our shelf is The Secret History by Donna Tartt. It is long, but I flew through it and really loved it.

message 18: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3358 comments Mod
In a completely different genre, I reread Anne of Green Gables this Spring and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is light, happy and optimistic, which seemed to help me at the beginning of the lockdown. You might like that book or another teenage girl coming-of-age book A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

message 19: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Terris wrote: "Shaina wrote: "Another square done! B4: Memoir, Autobiography, or Biography - The Complete Persepolis. I loved her humor and her way of expressing things."

Congratulations, Shaina, o..."

Thank you Terris!

message 20: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Thank you, Lynn. I have read all the Sherlock Holmes several times. The Secret History looks like a good read. I'll sure try that.

As for Anne of Green Gables, I do have the book however I drop it after the first few pages every time I try. Maybe I will get it on my e-reader and try.

Now that I looked at your list I think I too will read Lonesome Dove under O2: Classic Western. Everyone seems to praise it so much.

message 21: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Another square completed! N1: Old School CLassic Shelf (Pre 2020) but instead of Dracula I read Little Women.

A little shuffling around of books to fit the criteria of the square once I realised Little Women was not Published 200 years ago. Frankenstein, Dracula and Little Women have played musical chairs. That's all

message 22: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 773 comments Shaina wrote: "I would also appreciate a few recommendations for B1: Classic Crime or Mystery as I don't feel Endless Night fits that square and would like a better book."

If you like crime noir I suggest Laura by Vera Caspary or The Asphalt Jungle by W.R. Burnett.

message 23: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Marilyn wrote: "Shaina wrote: "I would also appreciate a few recommendations for B1: Classic Crime or Mystery as I don't feel Endless Night fits that square and would like a better book."

If you ..."

Marilyn these books are great... Thank you! I have already added them to my TBR and downloaded one as well. I will definitely read them before the year is out.

I also think I will look through your bookshelf for similar stuff.

message 24: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Another square down! O5: Classic of the Americas The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

6 books down 19 more to go...

message 25: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9592 comments Mod
You are going strong with your challenge. Keep up the awesome reading.

message 26: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3262 comments Congratulations on another one done Shaina! All the ones you've read so far have been either 4 or 5 star reads for me. I read The Complete Persepolis this year too and loved it.

message 27: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Katy wrote: "You are going strong with your challenge. Keep up the awesome reading."

Thank you, Katy. I was skeptical about this challenge but I have no doubt now about finishing it.

message 28: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Sue wrote: "Congratulations on another one done Shaina! All the ones you've read so far have been either 4 or 5 star reads for me. I read The Complete Persepolis this year too and loved it."

Thank you, Sue. I loved Embroideries too which was short but really hilarious. It was my first graphic read. Then I saw Persepolis and joined the challenge at the same time so decided to read it. I couldn't stop reading it.

Cynda also mentioned watching a few funny clips of Persepolis on YouTube. I hope to watch them soon.

message 29: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3262 comments I saw the film in the theatre when it first came out. I liked it even better. It was so well done.

message 30: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Sue wrote: "I saw the film in the theatre when it first came out. I liked it even better. It was so well done."

Thanks for letting me know. I will sure try to watch it soon. The author in an interview i watched didn't have a lot of praise for the movie and so I was skeptical to watch it.

message 31: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Another square down. I3: Classic Drama or Play An Ideal Husband

message 32: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2661 comments Wow, Shaina, you are moving right along!

message 33: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments That's right. Let's hope I continue at the same pace too.

message 34: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Completed N5: Book From Group’s New School Classic Shelf prior to 2020 A Room with a View

message 35: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3262 comments Shaina wrote: "Sue wrote: "I saw the film in the theatre when it first came out. I liked it even better. It was so well done."

Thanks for letting me know. I will sure try to watch it soon. The author in an inter..."

That is very interesting that she didn't like the film. I LOVED it. Now I'm curious as to why. I saw it so long ago, but don't recall there being anything drastically different.

I just read An Indeal husband too and Loved it and I'm about to read A Room With a View. We are on the same path!

message 36: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Sue, I enjoyed An Ideal Husband (4 stars) a great deal more than A Room With a View (2 stars). Yes, I'm glad we are on the same paths here as we can compare notes.

Let me know how you feel about A Room With a View

Regarding the movie Persepolis she just made the film because her friend wanted to become a producer ( link to watch the clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9onZ...)

message 37: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3262 comments Shaina wrote: "Sue, I enjoyed An Ideal Husband (4 stars) a great deal more than A Room With a View (2 stars). Yes, I'm glad we are on the same paths here as we can compare notes.

Let me know how you feel about ..."

Thank you Shaina. That was very interesting. She was too close to it to love the changes. I highly recommend the film. It's very cool.

I'm not too excited about A Room With a View since I've seen a lot of mediocre reviews. I own it though so I'm giving it a try, plus it's short so that helps!

message 38: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Yes! That's so true. She is too close to be objective about it. Yes, I will sure watch the movie before the year is out.

message 39: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 773 comments Shaina wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "Shaina wrote: "I would also appreciate a few recommendations for B1: Classic Crime or Mystery as I don't feel Endless Night fits that square and would like a better bo..."

I definitely want to read more by Vera Caspary. In my opinion, she should be as well-known as Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett.

message 40: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2661 comments Shaina wrote: "Completed N5: Book From Group’s New School Classic Shelf prior to 2020 A Room with a View"

Shaina, you are really getting through a lot of books fast! I hope you are enjoying them. You have so many good ones on your list! :)

message 41: by Matt (new)

Matt (mmullerm) | 839 comments What a great list of books you’re reading for this challenge. Good luck!

message 42: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Marilyn wrote: "Shaina wrote: "Marilyn wrote: "Shaina wrote: "I would also appreciate a few recommendations for B1: Classic Crime or Mystery as I don't feel Endless Night fits that square and would l..."

Marilyn I'm definitely going to read both books you recommended before the year is over. I have already downloaded both books. However, I haven't yet read either Raymond Chandler (is on the list of TBR) or Dashiell Hammett (never got beyond the first pages of the Maltese Falcon) so I won't be able to compare them till I read some work by each. I will keep you posted for sure.

message 43: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Terris wrote: "Shaina wrote: "Completed N5: Book From Group’s New School Classic Shelf prior to 2020 A Room with a View"

Shaina, you are really getting through a lot of books fast! I hope you are"

Terris, with the exception of A Room With a View, I have liked every book I read and I read literally every minute of my day that I wasn't asleep (I'm still at home twiddling my thumbs due to the ongoing COVID scenario).

I have now managed to read the list of books in most people's challenges and thus altered my list with better books than I had at the start of the challenge. I am reading books other than those on my list as well. So yes I am enjoying myself a lot.

If I were brave enough to read Ghost stories I would have also joined the Edith Wharton reading too believe me.

message 44: by Shaina (last edited Jul 27, 2020 09:17PM) (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Matt wrote: "What a great list of books you’re reading for this challenge. Good luck!"

Thank you, Matt! It took me a while to refine my list. When I started out I think I just used books that I knew of rather than learn about new books that could add value to my reading.

After having read most lists in the group I yesterday made final changes to the list and I'm quite happy with it.

message 45: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Finished O4: Classic Adventure - Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne.

message 46: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2661 comments Carrie wrote: "Shaina wrote: "Finished O4: Classic Adventure - Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne."

What were your thoughts on this one? I am trying to choose between thi..."

Not to butt in here, but.... Carrie, I will tell you I enjoyed "Robinson Crusoe" much more than "Gullivers Travels." Just my humble opinion :)

message 47: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2661 comments Shaina wrote: "Finished O4: Classic Adventure - Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne."

Keep up the good work, Shaina!! You're doing great!
I'm hope you enjoyed "Around the World in Eighty Days." I have read several of Verne's books and enjoy him more and more :)

message 48: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Carrie wrote: "Shaina wrote: "Finished O4: Classic Adventure - Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne."

What were your thoughts on this one? I am trying to choose between thi..."

Carrie I was afraid of being asked this (reason mentioned below).... I loved the story. It was hilarious, kept me wondering how challenges would be overcome, and kept me guessing till the end (yes I'm one of those who hasn't watched the movie ever). What I disliked is the Geography and the time difference calculation and talk of distance (I hate Geography and barely scraped through it in school).

Most people I know don't hate this or are ambivalent to it. So I'm going to say read the book because it is really interesting until the end. As for Robinson Crusoe and Gulliver Travels, they are on my TBR list as well ( Yes, I have neglected my classics altogether and hence catching up now).

Have fun reading!

message 49: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Terris wrote: "Shaina wrote: "Finished O4: Classic Adventure - Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne."

Keep up the good work, Shaina!! You're doing great!
I'm hope you enjo..."

Terris, thank you for sharing your opinion with Carrie (I don't have one as I haven't read either). I enjoyed the book a lot apart from the various calculations of time difference and distances (I hate Geography).

I plan to read more of Verne's books though as I loved his style of writing. I had my quilt and cup of tea ( I wish I had a cat to cuddle too) while I read this book (and it was pouring outside). It loved how it made me feel.

message 50: by Shaina (new)

Shaina | 555 comments Carrie wrote: "Shaina and Terris, thank you for sharing your thoughts. Shaina, you have others on your list that I am adding to my tbr. You are making great progress."

Thank you, Carrie! I tried comparing our shelves but I'm unable to view your profile. I think only your friends can view your shelves/profile. What books would you like to read from my list? Do share your list too.

Im new to groups on GR so I have been looking at member's shelves and lists to get more suggestions and lists.

« previous 1 3