World, Writing, Wealth discussion

Book and Film Discussions > Favourite Books : Project Gutenberg

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by W (new)

W Which books are your favorites on this site ?

message 2: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Give us the site, please.

message 3: by W (last edited Jul 21, 2020 07:41PM) (new)

W gutenberg.org
Has sixty thousand free books including classics and books in the public domain,which can either be downloaded or read online.

message 4: by W (new)

W Just downloaded The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

message 5: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Loved that one in high school. Read them all. Do you think that was the beginning of the crime novel?

message 6: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 302 comments Technically, the beginning of the crime novel was a trio of stories by Edgar Allen Poe. One of which was called 'The Case of the Purloined Letter." I don't have much feeling for Mr. Poe's writings. I've heard that you either love him, or hate him. He just fell flat to me.

message 7: by W (new)

W The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins,one of the first mystery novels.I found it very entertaining despite its sheer length.

message 8: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Right, Charissa. Poe was officially the first with his short story "Murders in the Rue Morgue." His stories never fell flat for me, and I read them all in college, but you may be right that people either love or hate his writing. And I enjoyed The Woman in White.

message 9: by W (new)

W Anna Karenina,very lengthy,but I'm going to try and read it.

message 10: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Stick with it if you can. The Russian names gave me a fit, but the story is worth the trouble. Much better than War and Peace, which I would not recommend.

message 11: by W (new)

W I'll give it a shot.

message 12: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 302 comments Nifty side note, Anna Karenina was written by one of the Bolsheviks that took over Russia with Stalin and Lenin. He was the last one executed by Stalin as well.

message 13: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 0 comments Scout wrote: "Stick with it if you can. The Russian names gave me a fit, but the story is worth the trouble. Much better than War and Peace, which I would not recommend."

Concur with War and Peace argh

message 14: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 0 comments Charissa wrote: "Nifty side note, Anna Karenina was written by one of the Bolsheviks that took over Russia with Stalin and Lenin. He was the last one executed by Stalin as well."

Anna Karenina was written by Leo Tolstoy not Leon Trotsky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leo_Tol...

message 15: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 302 comments My mistake. Thank you.

message 16: by W (last edited Jul 29, 2020 04:09AM) (new)

W You made me wonder for a moment if Tolstoy was a Bolshevik.
By the way,Trotsky could well be Snowball in George Orwell's Animal Farm.

message 17: by Philip (new)

Philip (phenweb) | 0 comments Charissa wrote: "My mistake. Thank you."

Sorry - I wrote that very bluntly not my intention just scribbling too fast

message 18: by Charissa (new)

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 302 comments Not offended at all. Foreign names tend to run together on me. That helped a lot. By the way, I felt sorry for Boxer in Animal Farm. So sad.

message 19: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie | 1767 comments W wrote: "Which books are your favorites on this site ?"

I haven't been there in a while. When I first discovered it I was very happy to be able to down load many Andre Norton books (science fiction in the early days by a woman using a pseudonym).

message 20: by W (last edited Dec 16, 2020 09:28PM) (new)

W Up next,"No Name",by Wilkie Collins.I've been keen to read more of his work eversince the fabulous,"The Woman in White."

message 21: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Just finished re-reading King's The Stand and enjoyed it the second time around. Apropos topic for these COVID days.

message 22: by W (new)

W Gutenberg has books which are in the public domain,how did Stephen King get there ?

message 23: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 5870 comments Sorry! My bad.