Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Summer '20 Read-A-Thon: Team Snowcones

Comments Showing 1-50 of 116 (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jul 18, 2020 05:23AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7564 comments Mod
Summer '20 Read-A-Thon Team Challenge:
There Are No Wrong Answers, Only Silly Questions

This read-a-thon’s team challenge is all about getting to know each other better through some silly questions and creative book choices. Your goal as a team is to accumulate as many points as possible because everyone loves points.

Read a book as an answer to each question. 1 book completed = 1 point earned.

Your book could be the answer to the question by the title, by using something on the cover, based on the plot or themes of the book, based on the author’s name, etc. We encourage you to be creative! Tell your team your answer and how your book fits. We can all read more and get to know each other a bit better. If your team ‘answers’ every question on the list, you can start on a second round where each book is worth 2 points.

You have the ability to earn 4 Wild Cards throughout the game for pages read as a group. You earn a wildcard at 2000 pages total, 5000 pages total, 10000 pages total, and 15000 pages total! Make sure you are recording your pages read on your group spreadsheet.

THE RULES

1. Books need to be 100+ pages to count, or have at least 100 pages left for books already in progress at the start of the read-a-thon.
2. Each question can only be answered once until the whole set is completed at which point you can start in on round 2.
3. Be sure to tell your group how your book fits. We want to know what vegetable you would be and it’s not always obvious that a book is about the owner of a pickle boutique.
4. Have fun and play nice! This challenge is about reading more, working together, and having a good time. Lets keep the easy-going, helpful, considerate vibe our group is well known for along with the spirit of competition. :)

THE SILLY QUESTIONS

1. Which body part would you choose to get a tattoo on?
2. Which bad habits of other people drive you crazy?
3. When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
4. What would you do in life if you knew you could not fail?
5. What was your favorite Halloween costume?
6. What thing do you consider yourself to be very good at?
7. What thing do you consider yourself to be very bad at?
8. What is your favorite TV show?
9. What do you do every day that you wish was automated?
10. What smells make you happy?
11. What outdoor activities do you like to do?
12. What is a goal that you have been able to reach?
13. What is your favorite sport or physical activity?
14. What is your favorite season of the year?
15. What is your favorite holiday?
16. What is your favorite hobby?
17. What is the social event you hate the most?
18. If you could get rid of one month of the year, which would you choose?
19. What is something you hate but you wished you loved?
20. What is something you think is beautiful?
21. What is one thing you do to get motivated?
22. What’s your pet peeve?
23. What is a hidden talent you have?
24. What did you dream about last night?
25. What crazy activities do you dream of trying someday?
26. If you woke up tomorrow as an animal, what animal would you choose to be?
27. What is something you would want with you on a desert island?
28. If you were in a band, what kind of music would you play?
29. What vegetable would you be?
30. What is a popular trend that you can’t stand?
31. If you could be a time travel tourist, where/when would you go?
32. What is a place you would love to move to?
33. What job would you hate?
34. What’s your favorite part of a county fair?
35. If you had a boat, what would you name it?
36. How do you like to spend a rainy day?
37. Have an endless supply of any food, what would you get?
38. A genie shows up, what do you wish for?
39. Do you have any phobias?
40. What color looks best on you?
41. What is the best present you've ever been given?
42. Choose your age forever, what age would you choose and why?
43. Be an Olympic athlete, what sport would you compete in?
44. What’s your favorite time of day?
45. How much does a polar bear weigh?

Examples:

10. What smells make you happy?
I love the smell of the ocean and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea is set in the ocean

40. What color looks best on you?
I look great in green (according to moi) and Bangkok Wakes to Rain has a green cover

45. How much does a polar bear weigh?
Enough to break the ice, haha I’m hilarious, please just accept this terrible joke for what it is, so I anyway could choose Icebreaker: A Voyage Far North based on the title.

message 2: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jul 27, 2020 04:58AM) (new)

Team Snowcones
Co-Captain: Suzanne
Co-Captain: Jen K
Kendra
Bec
Sarah
Johanne
Sherri
Laura
Fee
Hilde
Lisa

Group Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Total Points Earned: 68
- Total Books Read (1 pt per book): 48 (42+6) Books
- Total Pages Read (1 pt per 1000 pages): 14,803 Pages
- 1 Wildcard Available

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 603 comments Go team snowcone!

message 4: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
Hi team! I’m excited to play along with everyone.

Right now I’m reading American Dirt and it should have plenty left tomorrow. I can look at which questions it will count for.

message 5: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Go Team Snowcones!! Excited to play the readathon game with you all! The questions look super fun to answer.

I'm reading Siege and Storm and should have more than 100 pages left for tomorrow. No idea of a question it could answer yet.

message 6: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 792 comments Hi team! Looking forward to reading with you all:)

I have just started ‘Matilda’, which I’m sure can be used to answer many of the questions, I’ll have a closer look in the morning.

message 7: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments Hi Team Snow cones. I’m very excited about our name. I feel cool every time I think of snow cones. It is very hot here & will be hotter next week. My current read is Good Boy My life in Seven Dogs. A Memoir by Jennifer Finley Boylan.

message 8: by Jen K (last edited Jul 17, 2020 01:44PM) (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Sherri wrote: "Hi Team Snow cones. I’m very excited about our name. I feel cool every time I think of snow cones. It is very hot here & will be hotter next week. My current read is Good Boy My life in Seven Dogs...."

Ooh, how is it? Professor Boylan taught at my undergrad and was/is beloved by all. This one is on my TBR list.

I also think we have the best team name...

message 9: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments Hi all!
I'm excited for the readathon. I like our tasks :)
I'm reading The Mad Ship, but have just started and it's 900 pages, so I may not be able to contribute many books. I'll have a look at maybe reading some shorter books as well.

message 10: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments Jen K wrote: "Sherri wrote: "Hi Team Snow cones. I’m very excited about our name. I feel cool every time I think of snow cones. It is very hot here & will be hotter next week. My current read is Good Boy My life..."

I just started Good Boy. I'm not far into it but so far so good.

message 11: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 1019 comments Hello team. I'm currently reading Son of a Trickster and Mountain of Black Glass, both with plenty left so they'll count.

message 12: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Nice, I started plotting the spreadsheet. I hope people don't mind that I'm changing the light blue to a darker blue. My eyes are old....

message 13: by Fee (new)

Fee | 107 comments Hi Team. I'm currently reading Last Argument of Kings and have around 200 pages left. I will start looking for some shorter books, l can read beside this.

message 14: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 349 comments Good morning team!

I’m going to have a day at the beach reading and I’ll get on the spreadsheet late this afternoon. I hope to finish Recursion today and I have a spot in mind.

So excited for this week!

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 603 comments Good morning everyone! I've started So, This Is Love today so I've put it in everywhere I can think of on the spreadsheet

message 16: by Bec (new)

Bec | 799 comments Hi everyone, I'm in Australia so it's Saturday evening here now. I tried to read today but got busy with children etc....but I did manage to finish The Hunger Games 0: The Ballard of Songbirds and Snakes.. I didn't have 100 pages left though so it can't count as a finished book. But tonight I'll start Cabin of Axes: A Goldilocks and the Three Bears Retelling. I'll have to see if it fits anywhere.

message 17: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments Good Morning. It’s 5:38 am here. I’m currently reading Good Boy by Jennifer Finney Boyland. It’s not a thick book so I’ll see what I can do. If I don’t finish today will do so tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

message 18: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 792 comments Good morning! :)
I have a lot "chores" to do around the house today, so that will fit well accompanied by my audiobook. I have added it to the spreadsheet. Happy reading, everyone!

message 19: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Happy weekend everyone! I finished the last 100 pages of my book, Siege and Storm and will use it for:

#7 What thing do you consider yourself to be very bad at? I would be pretty useless in attempting a siege on anything. Just not my skill set. :)

I should be finishing Southern Lady Code by Helen Ellis today as well and I'm a bit stumped as to where to put it. Any suggestions?

Hope you are enjoying your books!

message 20: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments I finished Good Boy My Life in Seven Dogs A Memoir by Jennifer Finney Boylan. I used it for # 4 What would you do in life if you knew you could not fail? Transition. # 8 What is your favorite TV Show? My Life and Welcome to It. Question?How many questions can you use one book for? There are other questions I can use this book for?

message 21: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Sherri wrote: "I finished Good Boy My Life in Seven Dogs A Memoir by Jennifer Finney Boylan. I used it for # 4 What would you do in life if you knew you could not fail? Transition. # 8 What is your favorite TV Sh..."

I believe that one book can answer only one question so you may need choose your favorite. Nice work finishing!

message 22: by Jen K (last edited Jul 18, 2020 05:49PM) (new)

Jen K | 440 comments For Southern Lady Code by Helen Ellis , I'm going with #20: What is something you think is beautiful? because smiles are beautiful

I hope that everyone is out having a fun Saturday!

message 23: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments OK. I’ll use Good Boy for #8 What is your favorite TV show? My Life & Welcome to it was named in the book as a favorite show.

message 24: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 1019 comments I meant to check in earlier today, but I had a bunch of family things. I didn't get as much reading done as I expected, but I got to spend time with my niece, so whatever. I will probably finish Mountain of Black Glass tomorrow, which works for #45. How much does a polar bear weigh? - According to wikipedia, an adult polar bear weighs about 300-700 kg. and the book is 698 pages long.

message 25: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 792 comments Jen K wrote: "For Southern Lady Code by Helen Ellis, I'm going with #20: What is something you think is beautiful? because smiles are beautiful

I hope that everyone is out having a fun Saturday!"

Good one, she does have a beautiful smile :)

message 26: by Bec (new)

Bec | 799 comments I'm 60% through my book Cabin of Axes: A Goldilocks and the Three Bears Retelling. I will definitely finish tomorrow (Sunday night here in Australia now).

message 27: by Fee (new)

Fee | 107 comments I finished Carmilla. I put it onto: 24. What did you dream about last night? It's a book about vampires and I dreamt about vampires last night (probably because I read a book about vampires before falling asleep ;) )

message 28: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments Good Morning team snow cones. I just started The Great Influenza by John M. Barry. It is thick so today I will read as much as I can & get as far as I can. I do have a few things to do today including a face to face book club meeting. I don’t mind taking time away from a read-a-thon for a book club meeting. Good luck everyone.

message 29: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 19, 2020 08:28AM) (new)

Suzanne | 349 comments Hello Team. I worked a little on the spreadsheet. I boxed in the books that are being used for each question, changed their color to black, and highlighted the row to light grey. We have completed 6 questions so far. It's a little hard to see track of what's the best use of each book, so take your best shot.

So far I have finished:

Recursion which I used for #23: I hidden talent that I have is I am really good at using recursion in computer programming.

No One Belongs Here More Than You by Miranda July which is used for #18: If I could get rid of one month of the year it would definitely be July. Blues and boredom always set in by this point for me in the summer.

I will finish The Red House Mystery today or tomorrow.

message 30: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Spreadsheet looks great! Thanks for the improvements!

I'm so impressed with everyone's creative answers! I might finish Locking Up Our Own: Crime and Punishment in Black America today.

message 31: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 792 comments Good evening, everyone!

I just finished listening to Matilda. It was a fun audio, read by Kate Winslet who did a great job with it :)

I used it for question 16 what is your favorite hobby, and like Matilda herself I am obviously fond of books.

message 32: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 1019 comments I finished Mountain of Black Glass. I used it for #45 - How much does a polar bear weigh? - Because the answer is up to 700 kg. and the book is 698 pages long (I was on pg. 421 at the start of the read-a-thon).

message 33: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments Good evening everyone. You're all doing great! I love to see how the books match the questions.
I've not read much yet, we were on vacation at a summerhouse, and some friends and family stayed all weekend, which was great, but not so great for reading :)
We're home now, and I am still off work next week, so I should be able to read more.

message 34: by Jen K (last edited Jul 19, 2020 07:02PM) (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Nice work everyone. We've made great progress completing 9 questions and earning the first wildcard!

I finished Locking Up Our Own: Crime and Punishment in Black America and used for question #32 What is a place you would love to move to? The book is set in Washington, DC and I've moved to the area twice now.

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekends and reads!

message 35: by Bec (new)

Bec | 799 comments I finished Cabin of Axes. I counted it for #27 - What is something you would want with you on a desert island? - Axe to cut down trees and make shelter.
How do I mark it off? I changed the font to black and wrote done in the column.

message 36: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Bec wrote: "I finished Cabin of Axes. I counted it for #27 - What is something you would want with you on a desert island? - Axe to cut down trees and make shelter.
How do I mark it off? I changed the font to..."

Awesome, you got it!

message 37: by Bec (new)

Bec | 799 comments I've listened to 40 minutes on audio at 1.5 speed - anyone have an easy way to convert this to pages?

message 38: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 349 comments Bec wrote: "I've listened to 40 minutes on audio at 1.5 speed - anyone have an easy way to convert this to pages?"

We are supposed to use 1 minute audio = 1 page. For me, I am trying to use the amount of time that I actually listened. That is, if I listen for 1 hour at double speed, I would just count this as 60 even though it is actually 120 minutes of the book. You could either use 40 minutes or the actual book time which is 1.5*40=60 minutes.

message 39: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments Good Morning All, I had a terrible reading day yesterday. I hope to do better today. I volunteer at the library 10:00 am till 2:00 pm then I hope to read after that.

message 40: by Bec (new)

Bec | 799 comments Suzanne wrote: "Bec wrote: "I've listened to 40 minutes on audio at 1.5 speed - anyone have an easy way to convert this to pages?"

We are supposed to use 1 minute audio = 1 page. For me, I am trying to use the am..."

Thanks.....I'll count it as 40 pages!

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 97 comments Hi All, I was just sorted into this group after joining late. I added my name to the spreadsheet and put in 104 pages read yesterday (I read that last night after requesting to join, so I think that's fair?). I'm working on two books currently: Red Seas Under Red Skies and Rich People Problems. Both have several hundred pages to go. Looking forward to doing a lot of reading this week!

message 42: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments Hi Lisa, welcome to the team!
I think anything you read from the beginning of the readathon saturday is fair to count, but I am not a mod.

message 43: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Yes, anything you have read since you woke up on Saturday morning will count, Lisa!

message 44: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments Welcome Lisa!! Yes, please add your reading from the weekend.

I've been meaning to read Red Seas Under Red Skies for ages now. Will be interested in how you liked it.

message 45: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 1019 comments I finished my reread of The Cruel Prince this morning, and I used it for #17. What is the social event you hate the most? - Dances (or Balls). I usually just take a book and sit off in a corner reading, but it's sometimes too dark to read and people keep trying to make me dance.

message 46: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 792 comments Welcome Lisa!!

Great job, everyone! I started my summer vacation today, and had an early flight. That usually equals quality reading time for me, but I was snoring almost before take-off, lol. The rest of the day was spend hiking and swimming in the lake, so no reading for me today. Maybe a chapter now before bed time 🤞🏻

message 47: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments @Hilde, so jealous of the hiking and swimming! Sounds lovely.

I finished The Map of Salt and Stars and added it for question #11: What outdoor activities do you like to do? There is a fairly tale with lots of horseback riding. While I don't do it often, it is an enjoyable outdoor activity.

message 48: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments I finished Soulless by Gail Carriger, such a delightful book!
I put it for #31 if you were a time traveller, when/where would you go? and I chose this because of Victorian era London, steampunk version.

Good night snowcones!

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 97 comments I just finished Rich People Problems and used it for question #3: When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up? My answer is Rich. ;)

message 50: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments Good Morning team. I had another terrible reading day yesterday. I keep hanging in there with the book because I like it but it's nonfiction dry. I think I've got the rhythm of the book now so will give it one more day before putting it down. Also today I have nothing planned but the store.
Currently reading
The Great Influenza The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History by John M. Barry
Next up:
Kitchen Confidential Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain

« previous 1 3