Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Buddy Reads free comic books > Amazing Spider-Man #13

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Richard Kenneth (last edited Jul 17, 2020 10:38AM) (new)

Richard Kenneth Conde | 283 comments Mod
Amazing Spider-Man #13: "The Menace of... Mysterio!"

Editor-in-Chief: Stan Lee
Cover Artist: Steve Ditko
Writer: Stan Lee
Penciler: Steve Ditko
Inker: Steve Ditko
Letterer: Artie Simek

Here are some sample reading guide questions for those who want to answer them. Thank you.

Discussion Questions

- How did you experience this book? Was it exciting? Funny? Scary? Weird? Thought-provoking?

- Did you find the characters convincing? Are they believable?

- Which characters do you especially like or dislike? What are their primary characteristics?

- What motivates the character's actions? Do you agree with their choices?

- Do the characters grow or change? How so?

- Who in the book would you like to meet? What would you ask or say?

- If you were a character in this story, what would your role be?

- Is the plot well-developed? Does the story make sense? Did anything surprise you?

- Is the story plot or character drive? Is there a lot of action or more focus on the lives and feelings of characters?

- The ending: was it predictable or surprising? Was everything wrapped up or was the ending ambiguous?

- Can you pick out one part that you found especially interesting or profound?

- Does the book remind you of your own life? An event? A person - like a friend, family member, or teacher?

- If you could talk to the creator what would you want to know?

- Have you read other books by this creator? Are they similar or totally different?

- Do the words and pictures work together to tell the story? Or is the story more in either the words or pictures?

- Does the artist use traditional rectangular panels? Or are there stylized panels or none at all? How does this impact the story or mood?

- What do artistic or visual details tell you about the characters or setting?

- How are the panels framed? What is included? What is left out?

- Is the subject shown up close? Far away? Why do you think the artist made these choices?

- How does the artist depict time? Does lots of action happen panel-to-panel or are moments drawn out? How does this impact your reading experience?

- Are speech balloons, lettering, or sound effects used in a creative way? How does this impact the story?

message 2: by Richard Kenneth (last edited Jul 17, 2020 10:42AM) (new)

My experience of reading this issue was that I liked the interaction and what's happening in Peter Parker's life more than I do his battles with Mysterio. I can sympathize with Peter Parker's trouble as his seemed genuine like we, the readers, have troubles.

I mean he is so troubled with finances that he brushed off the pretty Betty Brant in the Daily Bugle who is so very interested in him.

I suppose Stan Lee preferred the "Gentlemen prefer blondes" cliche in these early Spider-Man stories.

Don't get me wrong. I do enjoy and do get entertained by the action and adventure of his story as Spider-Man as well.

description

description

description

Scott wrote: "I much preferred Betty Brant although I have to say I also liked Debra Whitman who was blonde, but nerdy.

Mysterio is my favorite Spidey villain and, I think, one of the best costume designs of al..."

I'd prefer Gwen Stacy as the girlfriend of Peter Parker. But she won't be introduced until later on in the series.

Personally, I'd rather choose Betty Brant. I mean brunette and pretty. And she's got a good-paying job in the newspaper publishing business. All around good girl though. Unless later writers added some hidden secrets she's keeping bottled up.

I have to agree with you with Mysterio as being a cool super-villain. In fact, it's due to him how Peter Parker and Miles Morales met several years ago in Spider-Men the series where the regular Marvel Universe Spider-Man met the Ultimate Universe Spider-Man. That was brilliantly done.

Getting back to ASM #13, it's pretty standard and straight-forward super-heroing by the webslinger in this issue.

message 4: by David (new)

David (kavind) | 18 comments Hi guys. I am one of the few at work and haven't been able to read at all. I'm not sure how I'll keep up.

David wrote: "Hi guys. I am one of the few at work and haven't been able to read at all. I'm not sure how I'll keep up."

Hi David. No problem. We have lots of time on this topic anyway. You can post on an even later date if you like. Have a good day at work.

Would it help if I post the images of the Amazing Spider-Man #13 images here temporarily for a few days ?

message 6: by David (new)

David (kavind) | 18 comments Richard wrote: "David wrote: "Hi guys. I am one of the few at work and haven't been able to read at all. I'm not sure how I'll keep up."

Hi David. No problem. We have lots of time on this topic anyway. You can po..."

How many days are you doing on an issue, a day/several days?

David wrote: "Richard wrote: "David wrote: "Hi guys. I am one of the few at work and haven't been able to read at all. I'm not sure how I'll keep up."

Hi David. No problem. We have lots of time on this topic an..."

Hi Dave. Each issue will be several days. At least a week. In case others want to join. In fact. Even if we have moved on to the next issue, you can still add comments.

The topic will be left open for future members to join in on any of the issues.

So don't worry my friend, there's lots of time. And it also is the same for other Buddy Reads comic books in this forum.

Stan Lee and Steve Ditko's profile on Mysterio on the Amazing Spider-Man Annual #1 which featured an entry of Spider-Man's Rogue Gallery up to that published issues.

Here is Mysterio's entry:

description