Play Book Tag discussion

Sula
This topic is about Sula
Bonus Tag: Black Lives Matter > (Poll Ballot Tally & PBT Decades BINGO) Sula by Toni Morrison - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5096 comments This story of the lives of several people living in the small mountain town of Bottom in the early 20th century was a very confusing one for me. This seems to me a book to be studied rather than enjoyed. The writing was good, but so heavy with omens and metaphors and of a life and culture I am totally unfamiliar with and just don't understand, that I resorted to reading online analyses of the book. There is a touch of magical realism in here too.

This was certainly an experience and I'm glad I read it - but I would have preferred to read this in an English class because its content is so ripe for discussion. It did not make me feel good, but then that I imagine was exactly its purpose. Still, this type of book is not really my cup of tea, so I'm just giving it 3 stars.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Jul 17, 2020 06:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5681 comments I was thinking I might want to try again to read Toni Morrison now that I'm older. Beloved was too sad for me, especially because my kids were very young when I read it.

I was thinking a beginners guide might be helpful, and look what I found:

The Toni Morrison Book Club
Conversations with Toni Morrison
Toni Morrison for Beginners
Toni Morrison: 365 Beautiful and Uplifting Quotes for Daily Reading
Toni Morrison: Conversations

The Grad School list includes most of her novels, plus:
Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination

message 3: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3449 comments I read The Toni Morrison Book Club, it's more personal essays using themes in Toni Morrison books as a jumping off point. But it is amazing, highly recommend. I loved it. There are some spoilers to the books featured though (if you're worried about that).

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5681 comments Meli wrote: "I read The Toni Morrison Book Club, it's more personal essays using themes in Toni Morrison books as a jumping off point. But it is amazing, highly recommend. I loved it. There are some spoilers to..."

Thanks Meli, that sounds perfect. I don't mind spoilers in non-thriller books. With Southern and BLM together, I could use an extra month for these books!