Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > September 2020 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (last edited Jul 17, 2020 07:24AM) (new)

Gretchen (eab2012) | 583 comments Mod
Nominations are a little late this month. Northern Minnesota has spotty internet. It's a fabulous place to hide for a week or two.

Since we are still in various stages of re-opening, themes are going to continue to be pretty open ended. September is one of my favorite months of the year. My kids are back in school (ideally). My oldest has a birthday. It marks the beginning of my favorite season. There's lots of reasons for me to love September.

All that being said, September's theme is favorite. Nominations need to be your favorite something. Favorite HF novel of all time. HF novel featuring your favorite historical figure. Whatever book you nominate, your post must include why it's a favorite.

REMINDERS
BOOKS MUST BE HISTORICAL FICTION
NO SELF NOMINATIONS
NOMINATIONS MUST INCLUDE TITLE AND AUTHORS -Nominations that do not include both title and author will not be counted.
EVERYONE GETS ONE NOMINATION AND ONE SECOND - Please clearly state if you are nominating and/or seconding a book. Too much extra chatter about books clogs up the thread and makes it difficult for moderators to keep track of which books need to be counted or not.
BOOKS MUST BE AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE FORMATS - PAPER, E-BOOK, AUDIBLE, ETC.
THE FULL NOMINATION PROCESS CAN BE FOUND IN THIS THREAD -
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

PREVIOUS GROUP READS CAN BE FOUND HERE -
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

message 2: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 476 comments Tidelands I would like to nominate this. It is by a favorite author

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 1 comments World Without End by Ken Follett

message 4: by Nev (new)

Nev March (nevmarch) | 2 comments I nominate Jane EyreJane Eyre.

I read it as a teen, and loved it. More than a romance novel, it is a story of self affirmation, of finding something within oneself to believe in. Available in all formats at
https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1260
Nev March
www.nevmarch.com

message 5: by Doc (new)

Doc Mcgarey | 1 comments The Frontiersman by Allen Eckert. He has a whole group of books around immediate pre-colonial America- think 1750- and the settling of the Midwest by Kenton, Boone and Clark. And Tecumseh is featured also.

message 6: by Jenna (last edited Jul 16, 2020 11:10AM) (new)

Jenna (anastaria) Gilded Summers Gilded Summers (Newport's Gilded Age #1) by Donna Russo Morin I've been intrigued to read this book, especially now that the sequel is out.

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 57 comments I second Tidelands

message 8: by Nancy (last edited Jul 16, 2020 12:03PM) (new)

Nancy (nancyhamer) | 208 comments I nominate Morgan's Run by Colleen McCullough. I would like to read it because I am currently reading The Potato Factory and would like some history before this time, and of course because Colleen McCullough is an all time favourite of mine.

message 9: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 678 comments I’d like to nominate The Book of Longings, the latest book by Sue Monk Kidd. She’s a favorite author of mine for her focus on women’s lives and the spiritual basis of femaleness.

It’s about a woman named Ana who is the sister of Judas Iscariot.

message 10: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Renee wrote: "Tidelands I would like to nominate this. It is by a favorite author"

Nominations must include title and author.

message 11: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Valerie wrote: "World Without End by Ken Follett"

We've already read this.

message 12: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Nev wrote: "I nominate Jane EyreJane Eyre.

I read it as a teen, and loved it. More than a romance novel, it is a story of self affirmation, of finding something within oneself to believe in. Ava..."

This doesn't count as historical fiction per our group's definition of historical fiction.

message 13: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Jenna wrote: "Gilded Summers Gilded Summers (Newport's Gilded Age #1) by Donna Russo MorinI've been intrigued to read this book, especially now that the sequel is out."

Nominations must include title and author to be counted.

message 14: by Stephi (last edited Jul 16, 2020 05:25PM) (new)

Stephi | 11 comments I nominate The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys because Ruta Sepetys is my favorite historical fiction author.

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele Millington | 27 comments Abigail wrote: "I’d like to nominate The Book of Longings, the latest book by Sue Monk Kidd. She’s a favorite author of mine for her focus on women’s lives and the spiritual basis of femaleness.

I'd like to second this! My favorite!

I..."

Renee wrote: "Tidelands I would like to nominate this. It is by a favorite author"

message 16: by Michele (new)

Michele Millington | 27 comments I'd like to second The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd.

message 17: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1201 comments Mod
Stephi wrote: "I nominate The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys."

Stephi please see the first post with Gretchen's directions for nominating.

message 18: by Michele (last edited Jul 16, 2020 02:17PM) (new)

Michele | 351 comments Sorry, just to clarify: nominations can't be books we've done before as a group read, correct?

message 19: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jane wrote: "I nominate Ecstasy by Mary Sharratt"

Jane please see the first post with Gretchen's directions for nominating.

message 20: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

I will second The Book of Longings by Sue Monk Kidd.

message 21: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Michele wrote: "Sorry, just to clarify: nominations can't be books we've done before as a group read, correct?"

That is correct. Discussions stay up so if you want to contribute to the discussion of a previous book you can find it in this folder:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma | 33 comments I would like to nominate The Haunting of Maddy Clare by Simone St. James
I love her books and this is one of the only ones I haven’t read.

message 24: by Julie (new)

Julie (beyondthebind) | 1 comments I’d like to nominate The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes because it’s setting is one of my favorite era’s to read about - depression-era.

message 25: by Alice (last edited Jul 20, 2020 04:25AM) (new)

Alice | 4977 comments I will nominate The Girls of Pearl Harbor by Soraya M. Lane.

My favorite part of WWII to learning about is Pearl Harbor.

message 26: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (maursbooks) | 365 comments I would like to nominate The Huntress by Kate Quinn. She is one of my favorite authors

message 27: by Alice (new)

Alice | 4977 comments I will second the Huntress it was very good

message 28: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Iciek | 460 comments I nominate one of my favorite authors, Helena P. Schrader's novel, Balian d'Ibelin: Knight of Jerusalem. Her novel is about one of my favorite historical figures from that period.

message 29: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandihudson) | 8 comments I second The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes! The Giver of Stars

message 31: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1804 comments I second Jane Eyre

message 32: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Saxena | 21 comments Let's Read this nomination The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne by John Boyne

& I second: Russka The Novel of Russia by Edward Rutherfurd by Edward Rutherfurd

message 33: by Michaela (new)

Michaela I nominate Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell.

message 34: by Kymm (new)

Kymm | 1755 comments I nominate One For the Blackbird, One For the Crow by Olivia Hawker.

message 35: by Eva (new)

Eva I'd like to nominate The Burning Chambers by Kate Mosse.

message 36: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

J. wrote: "Hello, I nominate Mission 3-R by J. Michael. It's about how a treasonous General Ben Jackson steals a top secret trillion dollar time machine and leads a group of rogue American soldiers back in ti..."

NO SELF NOMINATIONS

message 37: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Peggy wrote: "I nominate The Passing Bells #1 Passing Bells by Phillip Rock. I read somewhere that the mini-series Downton Abbey was based on this trilogy. I read a short sample of..."

This nomination will not count. Please see the first post for nomination rules.

message 38: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Ankit wrote: "Let's Read this nomination The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne by John Boyne

& I second: [bookcover:Russka: The Novel of ..."

message 39: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Michaela wrote: "I nominate Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell."

This nomination will not count. Pleas see the first post for nomination rules.

message 40: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Kymm wrote: "I nominate One For the Blackbird, One For the Crow by Olivia Hawker."

message 41: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

Eva wrote: "I'd like to nominate The Burning Chambers by Kate Mosse."

message 42: by Gretchen, Keep your head up or the crown slips (new)

List to msg 46

The Book of Longings - 2 seconds
The Fountains of Silence - 1 second
The Giver of Stars - 1 second
The Huntress
Morgan's Run
Balian d'Ibelin: Knight of Jerusalem

I'm not even going to list the books that weren't nominated correctly. If you nominated a book and you don't see it on the thread, go back through the thread and see what the reason is.

message 43: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie  | 549 comments I'll second The Huntress!

message 44: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 476 comments Simon wrote: "Renee wrote: "Tidelands I would like to nominate this. It is by a favorite author"

As per nomination rules, nominees must include title and author otherwise nominees won't count."

WOW Simon please let the moderators do their job, You come off as a troll I did not know the link did not put the authors name in, You are not a moderator please leave them to their work. I am not sure if i should edit or repost so I will just repost.

message 45: by Renee (last edited Jul 17, 2020 10:44AM) (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 476 comments Tidelands[author:Phillipa Gregory This is one of my favorite authors.

This has already been seconded. I find it sad how this group has changed. Their used to be great discussions. Lots of nice people. This thread has multiple instances of people behaving badly.

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (heath_l15) | 2 comments I would like to nominate The Lions of Fifth Avenue by Fiona Davis because she's a favorite author and I love the NY Public Library.

Peggyzbooksnmusic | 674 comments Gretchen wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I nominate The Passing Bells #1 Passing Bells by Phillip Rock. I read somewhere that the mini-series Downton Abbey was based on this trilogy. I read a s..."

Sorry, Gretchen. Wish this was available on Audio.

message 48: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Velandonie | 1 comments I nominate the library of legends by Janie Chang. I second the book of longings.

message 49: by PattyMacDotComma (new)

PattyMacDotComma | 875 comments Ankit wrote: "Let's Read this nomination The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne by John Boyne.."

I second The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne. If you haven't read it, read it and get kids to read it, too.

message 50: by Ankit (new)

Ankit Saxena | 21 comments Gretchen wrote: "Ankit wrote: "Let's Read this nomination The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne by John Boyne

& I second: [bookcover:Russka:..."

Clarify pls, why?

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.