Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Summer '20 Read-A-Thon: Team Sign Ups

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7561 comments Mod
It's summertime, and it's time for another Read-A-Thon!

For those of you who have done a read-a-thon for the this group in the past, this should look familiar. If you're new to this, allow us to explain!

What do I have to do to participate?
If you are interested in participating and can commit to actively engaging in the read-a-thon, then please sign up in the comments below. We have chosen the categories so this group activity is fair and fun for readers of all speeds.

Please only sign up if you can commit to checking in with your team (on Goodreads) at least 5 times during the time from July 18-26.

How many teams will there be?
It will greatly depend on how many people sign up and how much they think they will be able to read. We are targeting 10-13 people per group.

QUESTIONNAIRE (This helps us sort teams!)
1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week?
3. Which time zone do you live in?
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon?
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.)

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2691 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

2-4 on average

EST

4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon?
At least once per day. Likely more this time since I'm working from home right now most days.

5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.)
No

message 3: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1646 comments Yes! I'm ready!

1. Reading speed
Medium I think

2. I finish 1-4 depending on length

3. CET / GMT +2

4. Yes

5. No, I'm not near my pc for part of the readathon.

message 4: by Jillian (last edited Jul 14, 2020 03:07PM) (new)

Jillian | 1760 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

2-4 on average during a read-a-thon

Mountain

4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon?Yes

No, but I can help out the team leader.

message 5: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 859 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium/fast, depending on mood

3 or so

Pacific

Yes, except while camping (Wed-Sun) where we may not have cell signal.

5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group?
No, see above!

message 6: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Kristick | 671 comments QUESTIONNAIRE (This helps us sort teams!)
Fast
4-6
Pacific
Daily checkins
No

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1032 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Probably medium to slow.
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 1 or 2
3. Which time zone do you live in? PST
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? I sure can
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) I can barely keep track of myself I would be a dreadful leader.

message 8: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Jul 16, 2020 02:45PM) (new)

Robin P | 1926 comments Mod
Please sign me up
1. Fast
2. 2 in a normal week but will read short books for Readathon, more like 4
3. Central
4. Yes, I am on the site so often I wonder how I get any reading done!
5. Yes

message 9: by Bec (new)

Bec | 799 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
medium

1 - it's less now I'm working from home so not reading on the train.

Australian central standard time

yes

No

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1614 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? In this group I would have to say I'm a slow to medium reader
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? Depends on the circumstances but I average a little over one a week.
3. Which time zone do you live in? Eastern Standard Time
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No

reply | flag *

message 11: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 899 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow,medium,fast)? Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2-3 books weekly
3. Which time zone do you live in? EST
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? No

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2344 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
medium

Two but will read shorter books (if they fit in!) during the read-a-thon so probably 4 or 5

Central

Yes

No, but I could help enter into the spreadsheet if needed.

message 13: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 301 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium

2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 1-2

3. Which time zone do you live in? Central Standard Time

Yes

Not this time

message 14: by Dori (new)

Dori (daisydori) | 168 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium

2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 1-2

3. Which time zone do you live in? British Summer Time

Yes

As this is my first read-a-thon, no, but in the future I'd be happy to

message 15: by Roxana (new)

Roxana (luminate) | 431 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Fast.
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 4-6
3. Which time zone do you live in? Pacific
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) I'm happy to help if it's needed, but would rather not be the one person in charge.

message 16: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 1017 comments This will be my first read-a-thon!

QUESTIONNAIRE (This helps us sort teams!)
- I'm a fast reader.

-I'm averaging about 3 or 4 books a week.

- Central Standard.

- Yep.

- Not this time. I'd rather see how the whole thing works first.

message 17: by Ira (new)

Ira | 298 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2-3
3. Which time zone do you live in? CEST
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon?Yes
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No.

message 18: by Kat (new)

Kat | 301 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? My average so far is 2-3 but I'm a bit behind in the main challenge so hoping to catch up and this is the perfect incentive
3. Which time zone do you live in? GMT
4. Can you commit to checking in with your team frequently during the read-a-thon? Yes I check every day
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) I've never participated in the team readathon before so not really sure how it works. I do love a spreadsheet though and am quite organised so might be able to help out if needed.

message 19: by Suzanne (last edited Jul 15, 2020 12:17AM) (new)

Suzanne | 349 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Fast
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 4
3. Which time zone do you live in? Eastern European
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) Yes

message 20: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1789 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Kinda slow at the moment
1-2
BST (UK)
Yes
I can if needed.

message 21: by Edie (new)

Edie | 853 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 1-3
3. Which time zone do you live in? US Central Daylight
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No

As someone who gets books from the library, this will be a bit challenging since our library is open only to curbside pickup... and all returned books spend 5 days in quarantine.
reply | flag *

message 22: by Jen K (new)

Jen K | 440 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
medium-ish?
2-4
EST
Yes
I could definitely help or co-captain especially if the spreadsheets are provided again.

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo Morton | 39 comments 1. Medium to Slow
2. 2 to 4
3.Central
4.@least once or twice a day
5. No Thank u

message 24: by Fee (new)

Fee | 107 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
slow
1 (I plan on reading shorter books for the Read-a-thon, so 2-3)
CET
Yes
No

message 25: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 1015 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? medium-fast
2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2-4 (usually more during read-a-thons, but it probably won't be my usual high numbers)
3. Which time zone do you live in? PST
5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) Sorry, no, way too stressed right now.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 603 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
It's been very slow since lockdown began.

1-2 at the moment

BST

At least once a day

No, thank you

message 27: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3784 comments Mod
Realistically, slow these days. A little boost to my typical 'medium' would be nice though!

1-2

EST

Yes

No thanks

message 28: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7561 comments Mod
- Fast when I'm actually reading.. it's been more slow to medium the last few weeks

- 1-2 lately

- Central

- Yep!

- Sure

message 29: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium.

1 - 2

CET

Absolutely!

Not this time, thanks.

message 30: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 523 comments I can't join this time - I'm away for part of it.

message 31: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 372 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow
EST
Absolutely
No, thank you!

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (dg_reads) | 377 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Fast

PST

Yes!

No

message 33: by Jax (new)

Jax (jaxn) What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium-Fast
2-4
PST
Yes
No

message 34: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Updated my message to remove 3 sentences of hemming and hawing and just say "yes" to being team leader. Looks like we need some others to step up as well.

message 35: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1406 comments Mod
We are actually doing all right as far as team leaders go, unless we get a sudden influx of participants. I'll add you as a co-leader Robin; I think having two people 'captain' their teams will make it less daunting for everyone.

message 36: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Medium

EST

Yes, Daily

I have never lead so I would like to be a co-leader to learn.

message 37: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Jackie wrote: "We are actually doing all right as far as team leaders go, unless we get a sudden influx of participants. I'll add you as a co-leader Robin; I think having two people 'captain' their teams will mak..."

Ok, great, since I am still pretty new here. Thanks!

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 801 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow to medium
1, maybe 2 if I'm lucky
Pacific
Yes
No

message 39: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 291 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)? Medium

2. How many books do you usually finish in a week? 2

3. Which time zone do you live in? Pacific Daylight Time

5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group? (i.e. keeping track of team totals, needed tasks, updating spreadsheet, etc.) No.

message 40: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 697 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow at the moment :(

1-2 at the moment

CET

Yes

5. Are you interested in being a team leader for your group
No

message 41: by Ana A (last edited Jul 17, 2020 06:25AM) (new)

Ana A (anabana_a) | 494 comments Can I still join?? The challenge looks so fun!

Slow to medium?

1-2

GMT+8

Yup. :)

Sorry, no. :( Reread the messages and saw there will be two leaders per team. That's less stressful. In that case, I'm okay with it.

message 42: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Ana A wrote: "Can I still join?? The challenge looks so fun!"

Yes! Anyone can join at any time! Until the challenge is over I guess lol.

message 43: by Joi (new)

Joi | 40 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Fast
4-6
eastern
Daily checkins
No

message 44: by Johanna (new)

Johanna Ellwood (jpellwood) | 268 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
--medium
--2-3
--EST
--Yes
--No

message 45: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 792 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
Slow

Normally 0-1, aiming for 1-2 for the RAT, since my reading has been rather slow these last couple of months. Also starting my summer vacation on Monday, which involves traveling (within the country), and probably not so much reading time.

CET

Yes, at least once a day

Looks like all the teams are covered :)

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2344 comments I wasn't added to a team. My info is in message 12. Thanks!

message 47: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Kathy wrote: "I wasn't added to a team. My info is in message 12. Thanks!"

Woops. Sorry about that!

message 48: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat Ok I think I'll join if it's not too late!

Medium-Fast I think

2-4

Mountain

Yes

No, as I've never even participated in one of these yet!

message 49: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 450 comments 1. What is your estimated reading speed (slow, medium, fast)?
medium
1-4
EST
Yes
I would prefer not to.

message 50: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Medium

FOr a read- a- thon, probably 3-4

EST

Yes, Daily

For sure :-)

« previous 1