TW Book Club discussion

Little Fires Everywhere
This topic is about Little Fires Everywhere
Little Fires - Spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Jul 14, 2020 12:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackie | 194 comments Sam, I see what you mean about the series vs. the book with race and class. I did pick up on a race theme in the book with the focus on Shaker being a planned, integrated community...it seemed somewhat forced to me, like that would be a basis for tension. But that theme was probably from the focus on Bebe and Mirabelle

As for Elena, I hated her, in the book, right away. I have a thing against suburbia moms who enforce the stereotype/image of family perfection.

While I liked the story, my biggest beef with the book is that there are so many skeletons in the closet. I realize that these circumstances are entirely possible and the book is highlighting that everyone has skeletons BUT it just seemed a little far fetched to me. I guess that's what you get when reading fiction though and I shouldn't complain

Tracy Wendt (wendtastic) | 423 comments Mod
Jackie I had similar complaints the first time. I liked it better this time, but didn't live it. also I kind of felt manipulated...like this person is good or that person is bad. and seriously, Mia never dated or had sex?! Come on. And because she was an artist she's especially insightful? I don't understand why anyone disliked Lizzie. None of the things she did were that bad (aside from arson, obviously), and some of them were pretty hard to believe considering her age. The author attributed an awful lot of insight to a small child... I didn't catch any race conflict the first time around (other than the obvious with the Mirabelle part) and the second time I deliberately looked for it. it really isn't clear what race folks are. I assume in the show the rich family is white and the poor/artistic is black?