Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Add and Delete

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Jul 14, 2020 10:39AM) (new)

Jason Gruhl | 4 comments Hello! I am new and apologize if I'm doing this the wrong way. I've already sent a comment in to the site comment section, but then realized this was maybe the place to get this remedied. I am the Co-Author of Our Animal Neighbors: Compassion for Every Furry, Slimy, Prickly Creature on Earth with Matthieu Ricard. However, Matthieu is the only author listed. In an attempt to add it myself, I accidentally entered the wrong information, pressed return mid-stream...and it posted. So, I need my name added to the original with Matthieu (so it shows up on my page as well and so I'm listed as a Co-Author), and the one I accidentally made on my page deleted. Thank you!

message 2: by Jason (last edited Jul 14, 2020 06:39PM) (new)

Jason Gruhl | 4 comments Andrew wrote: "Done"

Andrew, Thank you so much!!
It looks like one of my other books disappeared, though. I also wrote The Fountain Tarot and it no longer shows up. Do you know what might have happened? It was there earlier today...And now that I look for it, it's gone from the whole site! It had hundreds of reviews and comments. I'm hoping everything is ok!!
Jason

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44649 comments Mod
Decks of cards, including tarot cards, are not considered books on Goodreads.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Gruhl | 4 comments rivka wrote: "Decks of cards, including tarot cards, are not considered books on Goodreads."

The Fountain Tarot has been on Goodreads for YEARS and is considered a book by Amazon, and the industry in general. AND it has tons of comments, reviews, etc. ON Goodreads. The cards accompany the book that I wrote. This is very upsetting to me and I need to have it reinstated.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Gruhl | 4 comments The Fountain hasn't been put back on the books list yet, and I haven't gotten a response yet, either. It just isn't true that books with tarot cards aren't allowed. There are DOZENS if not more on there right now, as they should be:

Mystic Mondays
Shadowscapes Tarot
Witches Tarot Kit
Light Seer's Tarot
Tarot of Pagan Cats
Gilded Tarot
The Good Tarot
Mystic Faerie Tarot
Chakra Wisdom Tarot
The Linestrider Tarot
The Halloween Oracle
Everyday Witch Tarot
Fantastical Creatures Tarot
Ancestral Path Tarot
Xultan Mayan Tarot Deck
The Hobbit Tarot
The Wildwood Tarot
Anna K. Tarot
And on and on...

Please put my book back on the list.

Thank you, Jason Gruhl

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 5568 comments Jason wrote: "The Fountain hasn't been put back on the books list yet, and I haven't gotten a response yet, either. It just isn't true that books with tarot cards aren't allowed. There are DOZENS if not more on ..."

Jason, if you have contacted Support, be aware that since the pandemic there is a huge backlog of requests.

message 7: by Dobby (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 4571 comments Hi Jason. I took a look at The Fountain Tarot, and I see where the confusion lies.

As Rivka pointed out, cards themselves are not considered books and are not included in the Goodreads catalog.

The Fountain Tarot, however, has a companion book/guide book accompanying the set. The book qualifies the set to be included in the catalog.

I've restored the editions:

•  ISBN 9781611805482, the 2017 edition: The Fountain Tarot: Illustrated Deck and Guidebook

•  2014 edition, no ISBN: The Fountain Tarot

If you have any additional details, such as an ISBN, for the 2014 edition, we'd be glad to add them. Just let us know by replying here.

message 8: by Dobby (last edited Jul 22, 2020 12:42PM) (new)

Dobby (dobby0390) | 4571 comments Jason wrote: "...The cards accompany the book that I wrote..."

Jason, I've been consulting with other supers about this question, because it certainly can be confusing. I was wrong (I know, boggles my mind, too) about how I interpreted the companion/guidebook question.

The fine point of distinction is whether the cards are the primary content of the set (with the book secondary), or if the book is the main content, with the cards included.

If the book is the primary purpose of the set, the Goodreads listing would be changed from its current title to the title of the book itself. The description would be of the book, with a note that the set includes the Fountain Tarot cards.

If, however, the cards are the primary purpose of the set, the set does not meet Goodreads policy for inclusion as a book. The set is marketed as "The Fountain Tarot" on the box itself, with " The Fountain Tarot: Illustrated Deck and Guidebook" as the listing title. The focus is on the cards. Because this is the case, I erred in restoring the records and will need to NAB them again.

Please understand that not meeting the Goodreads policy for inclusion in the database does not mean that your book isn't a valuable addition to the card set. To keep the database manageable, Goodreads set up a policy of what would qualify to be added. It was decided that decks of cards, among many other things, would not be included.

See this link for a discussion of how the accompanying book in a tabletop roleplaying product is handled. Our Librarian Moderator, who is a staff member, clarified the policy in Msg 11 and Msg 13.

This discussion contains a staff ruling on handling a set comprising a game and a book, in Msg 3.

As always, if you have any further questions or comments about this or any Goodreads policy, please contact contact Goodreads Support. As volunteers, librarians cannot make exceptions to policy.

I deeply apologize for any confusion that my error has caused.