The Blackfalds Public Library Adult Summer Reading Group discussion

The way the crow flies

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Jul 14, 2020 09:05AM) (new)

Ann Boys | 3 comments I recently finished The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald. I tried reading this book earlier this year, but couldn’t get into it. I decided to give it another try, and found myself really drawn in... isn’t it funny how that happens sometimes?
The writing is just beautiful! The characters are really well developed. It is written from the perspective of a little girl and I loved the way the author captures childhood. The main part of the story takes place on a Canadian Air Force base during the Cold War, which adds a really interesting backdrop to the storyline.
I enjoyed the book, although I was frustrated with the main character’s father the whole way through. Thankfully a friend of mine told me that it isn’t a feel-good story. I would recommend it, but maybe not as a summer read.

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Rice | 43 comments Mod
I will have to look this one up. I am interested in books that have unlikeable characters in them, especially main characters. one book that had an unlikeable, but so human, main character is called Soy Sauce for Begginers and I loved the book, but it got some bad reviews on Goodreads exactly for that reason. The same is true for Uninvited Guests: not all the characters are likeable, but it seems so much more rich because of that!