Play Book Tag discussion

Mexican Gothic
This topic is about Mexican Gothic
July 2020: Other Books > Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments Is this book horribly wonderful or wonderfully horrible? Either way, one of the best horror books I've read in a while. I don't know if this says much given I don't read a lot of horror, but it was definitely what it should be. Gothic at its purest, beautiful from the first word to the last and the right kind of scary.

This is not a vampire story, but in many ways, it reminded me of Dracula and those old stories with vampires before they became those sexy creatures high school girls fall in love with. It had hunting elements, and yet it's not a hunting story either. It's everything old, but still something new. It's beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, but also scary. The right kind of scary, the right amount of scary.

The book starts slow, only for the events to move faster and faster. Until the end, it becomes like a crazy rollercoaster. The pace was perfect to keep you turning pages, the words are perfect to keep you turning pages. I couldn't put this book down. I just couldn't. The author managed to hook me up even with a simple description.

For every fan of gothic, this is a must-read. It can be really scary but in such a beautiful way. Works with gothic music, too.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I have this high on my list! Good to see a 5 star review!

Meli (melihooker) | 3450 comments I got a copy of this through the Night Worms subscription, so looking forward to it! Glad to see such a glowing review :)

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3824 comments Lots of buzz around this one!