Play Book Tag discussion

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
July 2020: Southern > Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt (3 1/2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1421 comments Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil - John Berendt

3 1/2 stars

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is John Berendt's memoir of the years he spent living part of the year in Savannah, Georgia. It highlights all of the interesting people that made up society at the time and included the murder trial of one of its most well known residents. Since Berendt was there to write the book, people were very willing to talk to him and share their views on Savannah society.

I thought this book was interesting. I expected to get more of a sense of place than I did. Berendt did a good job capturing society in Savannah, but I felt like he highlighted the interesting characters more than really capturing the city. I kept expecting him to weave more of the characters together, but in the end it felt like a collection of individuals more than a place. I am curious to see the movie.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 283 comments Nice review

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue | 1287 comments I loved the book and the movie is one of my all time favorites. Definitely watch the movie!