What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Early Adolescent book: Girl named Penny uses Oregon trail to flee stalker

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liesl (new)

Liesl JMom | 4 comments A girl named Penny lives with her grandmother, who is trying to get her to marry before she is an "old maid." A man that Penny has known since childhood is trying to convince her to marry him, but does so in ways that bother her and are kinda creepy. She goes west on the Oregon trail to escape him, and a man who is some sort of lawyer or something (who also knows her from back east somehow) says she should change her last name (to his) to escape the stalker.

I was pretty obsessed with this book in middle school, any help finding it is much appreciated!!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35383 comments Mod
Liesl, I moved your request to the “Unsolved” because you’re looking for a specific book. Please read our Group’s Special Rules.

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19622 comments When did you read it?

message 4: by Liesl (new)

Liesl JMom | 4 comments I read it probably around 2011.

message 5: by Liesl (new)

Liesl JMom | 4 comments Thanks, Kris. I'll take a look.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19622 comments Are you positive her name was Penny?

I've looked through a bunch of Oregon Trail books, and nada so far. They were definitely traveling to Oregon and not California or some other place?

message 7: by Liesl (new)

Liesl JMom | 4 comments Yes, I'm quite certain her name was Penny. I don't know for sure which state they were traveling to.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19622 comments Might want to check the Children's Frontier Fiction list.