Play Book Tag discussion

The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain, #5)
This topic is about The High King
July 2020: Other Books > (Poll Ballot Tally) The High King by Lloyd Alexander - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5100 comments The Dark Lord Arawn has come out of his castle in Annuvin and is abroad in Prydain, and has stolen Prince Gwydion's enchanted sword Dyrnwyn. Gwydion is desperate to retrieve the sword because its power in Arawn's hands spells doom for the land. Arawn is gathering a mighty host to wage war on the Sons of Don for control of the entire land of Prydain, and Taran must serve Gwydion as a war leader and gather the men of the Free Commots to aid Gwydion in the war.

This book never fails to make me cry, and more than once. No matter how many times I read it I always choke up at the deaths of beloved characters and the sacrifices they all have to make. And the ending! Such a perfect and painful one. I just love this book.

message 2: by Jgrace (last edited Jul 14, 2020 08:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jgrace | 2976 comments It is the best book in the series. :)

I've always wondered why these books never seemed to take off in popularity. I never heard of them as a child, although the first book was published when I was 8 or 9. And I was a voracious reader. I didn't hear about them until I was student teaching and the first book was being used as literature enrichment.

Of course Disney destroyed them with their Black Cauldron cartoon. Someone should do a beautifully rendered miniseries. Doubtless Disney owns all of the rights.

annapi | 5100 comments The first book was published the year I was born, and it was a friend in 5th grade who introduced it to me. It took years for me to find all the books, and I remember I got impatient, I hadn't yet found books 2 and 4, and I gave in and read book 5. Of course I was totally confused by who many of the characters were, and because of this never read ahead again.