Asians Under a Typhoon Book Club discussion

5 views
August 2020: CRA > July 25, 2020: Part 1: pg. 13-160

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Typhoon Creator (new)

Veronica (Honey Roselea Reads) (veronicamchen) | 65 comments Mod
Hey guys let's all reconvene on the 25th to talk about Part 1 of Crazy Rich Asians!


message 2: by Veronica, Typhoon Creator (new)

Veronica (Honey Roselea Reads) (veronicamchen) | 65 comments Mod
Hey guys I thought we'd have a discussion on part one of Crazy Rich Asians! What were your thoughts on it?


message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 9 comments I read this book a couple of years ago, so I'm not going to spoil anything, but I forgot how long it took to get to the meat of this story!!! Peik Lin is a good friend, but even she doesn't have a clue.


message 4: by Veronica, Typhoon Creator (new)

Veronica (Honey Roselea Reads) (veronicamchen) | 65 comments Mod
Adrienne wrote: "I read this book a couple of years ago, so I'm not going to spoil anything, but I forgot how long it took to get to the meat of this story!!! Peik Lin is a good friend, but even she doesn't have a ..."

I must say Peik Lin was not my favorite character...


message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 9 comments Veronica Chen wrote: "Adrienne wrote: "I read this book a couple of years ago, so I'm not going to spoil anything, but I forgot how long it took to get to the meat of this story!!! Peik Lin is a good friend, but even sh..."

OK. Well, either i hae forgotten, or I have the benefit of knowing what's coming. You'll have to let me know what you think.


message 6: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 9 comments Also, what did you dislike about her?


message 7: by Veronica, Typhoon Creator (new)

Veronica (Honey Roselea Reads) (veronicamchen) | 65 comments Mod
Adrienne wrote: "Also, what did you dislike about her?"

Perhaps I was just influenced by her through the movie and while reading this book I just kept getting flashbacks to her in the movie. I'm definitely trying to give her a chance


message 8: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 9 comments Ooooo! I haven't seen the movie! That could be it.


message 9: by Zack (new)

Zack Jay (zackjay_) | 1 comments i honestly did not enjoy any parts whatsoever from page 13-160. every character was so snobbish and no one was even remotely tolerable besides Rachel and Astrid. the characters are plain out flat and one-dimensional i was so close to dnf-ing it


message 10: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Teague (ateague) | 9 comments Zack wrote: "i honestly did not enjoy any parts whatsoever from page 13-160. every character was so snobbish and no one was even remotely tolerable besides Rachel and Astrid. the characters are plain out flat a..."

I got bad news for you Zack. The characters don't get better. The whole book is basically about rich people problems. You definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to be entertained by that. If you want to finish it for the group, maybe try hate-reading it. Read it specifically to find all the really horrible things people do. Sometimes that is fun.


back to top